Urinals - anyone ever considered them?

Vijay

As a single bloke, I always thought they were a good idea but never seen anyone fit them at all. I don't mean as a replacement for a toilet, but as well if there's space. I'm talking about the lidded ones like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Urinal-Roca-Nexo-M-Intake-from-Rear-Incl-Lid-with-Soft-Close-White-/392033444896?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10&var=660991914842

Anyone ever contemplated them?

Vijay

I was going to say they look shit but I could hear the jokes coming,,

i will go out on a limb here and risk major embarrassment by saying that I sit down for a wee a lot of the time. 

Why you ask, are you weird

answer. It saves splashing (happy wife) I can check my phone while sitting for a minute. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

i will go out on a limb here and risk major embarrassment by saying that I sit down for a wee a lot of the time. 

Standard rule in our house and we also have a note asking geusts in our accommodation unit to also sit as  it’s a lot more hygienic for the cleaning party. We do however have various pee spots throughout the property, carefully located to not cause offence and in areas that either flush through with rain water or are Good soak aways. . Best of both worlds, peeing with a view or sitting down to contemplate  for a minute. 

26 minutes ago, Cpd said:

We do however have various pee spots throughout the property, carefully located to not cause offence and in areas that either flush through with rain water or are Good soak aways. . Best of both worlds, peeing with a view or sitting down to contemplate  for a minute. 

It's supposed to keep the foxes away, "marking your territory"!

(It doesn't..... :ph34r: )

Edited by Onoff
  • Haha 1

When my kids (now older than many of you) were toddlers.  Son (just over 2) learning to use potty.  Daughter (15 month). I can do that.  

He had more 'accidents' than she did BUT she couldn't hit the potty.  He didn't sit down, then why should she?

They are horrible. Another thing to clean and there must be a reason that men’s public toilets always smell disgusting compared to women’s loos. It has to be down to the urinals or the inability of men to use them without spraying somewhere it shouldn’t go surely? Yuk. 

As an aside men’s loos are very different it seems. According to the guys I work with no one talks in there. Ladies however will often chat in the loos, do their hair, lippy, whatever. The bad thing is that ladies always have to bloody queue for the loo at busy events. 

9 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

[...]

So do I. Same reason. No brainer.

If more men felt able to mop the bathroom floor,  - or felt they  should not impose the job on someone else - more men would do the same.

11 hours ago, Vijay said:

As a single bloke

Fit a urinal in your house and you'll be staying single mate. ;) I would not want my house looking like the pub or the motorway services. 

I'm old fashioned and just pee standing up but actually keep the floor dry. Guys working for me get told with no doubt left that if they piss all over the customers toilet / floor etc they will be paying to clean it up. Pet hate of mine. 

My two boys must re-inact scenes out of Star Wars thinking their dicks are light sabres, brings a whole new meaning to "wet room" grrrrrrr. 

• Haha 3

Can't believe life is that hectic for you guys that you need a sit down wee to check your phones lol

I don't think a single urinal will look like pub toilets, but do take on board that they are associated with them and that's what people will instantly think - not the home I'm looking for!! lol

Why not go the whole hog and fit a Durex machine? That'd go nice with some polished, exposed copper pipes and maybe some posters advertising upcoming theme nights. Don't forget the blue cubes / pineapple chunks to give you something to aim at.

A nice thick marker pen left next to the pan could let visitors leave their own comments on the walls for that really authentic feel. 

A glory hole might be a step too far but you can borrow my 70mm Starrett if you want...

• Haha 4

Believe me no woman would want to use a bathroom containing one ? and I doubt too many people want to emulate anyone from The Full Monty ?

And remember boys, wherever you are it’s tinkle not sprinkle! 

12 hours ago, Onoff said:

Nobody seen the Full Monty? "Ladies" can use them too!

:)

Years ago, when I was doing my yachtmasters practical at Fowey, I saw something similar.  There were four candidates on the boat doing the week long exam, three blokes, one lady, plus the (male) RYA examiner, and we spent one evening not at sea but moored in Fowey, so we all had a run ashore to a pub for dinner.  On returning to the boat all the blokes made a bee line along the decks to hang off the leeward shrouds and "pump ballast".  One mentioned to the lady that this was a major advantage that men had, in being able to just pee over the side.  To our surprise the lady, loosened her jeans, leaned back and demonstrated that women were perfectly capable of peeing over the side too.  There was a moment of bemused silence amongst the male members of the crew, as none of us quite knew what to say.  It was one of the most memorable things about the whole exam, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

To our surprise the lady, loosened her jeans, leaned back and demonstrated that women were perfectly capable of peeing over the side too. 

Lol, that would take lots of practice! Respect! For mere mortals there is the shewee ?

E5AEA6F1-01AB-4919-8BE0-90A31153EA7F.jpeg.35eec6d1bed30465740d42e749f6e2ab.jpeg

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Just remember @JSHarris I heard a statistic that the majority of MOB incidents are men pumping ballast and falling in.

Personally I prefer the bucket then empty it over the side, and SWMBO uses the same bucket, so no discrimination.

The coxswain of the local lifeboat had an acronym for bodies picked up after this type of accident, MOFU, Man Overboard Flies Undone...

Yes, it can be dangerous, but I've lost count of the number of times I've done it, back when I was young enough to believe I was immortal.  I've even done it sailing solo on a long channel crossing (Mylor to L’Aberwrac’h, pretty much exactly 100nm) a few times, on a yacht with no self-steering.  Bloody stupid looking back, but I used to lash the helm and hope that I'd have time to run forward, have a pee and get back to the tiller before she luffed up...

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

I would prefer the bucket approach I think. Nothing like a strong wind coming unexpectedly and blowing it all backwards I imagine! ?

The golden rule is ALWAYS pee over the leeward side!

That way you're guaranteed the wind will always take it away from you.  Easy enough on a yacht, as she'll be heeled over that way, so the traditional position with arms wrapped around the leeward shrouds holds you reasonably safely in position.  As @ProDave rightly says, though, it's bloody dangerous and a lot of men have fallen overboard doing it over the years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

The coxswain of the local lifeboat had an acronym for bodies picked up after this type of accident, MOFU, Man Overboard Flies Undone...

Yes, it can be dangerous, but I've lost count of the number of times I've done it, back when I was young enough to believe I was immortal.  I've even done it sailing solo on a long channel crossing (Mylor to L’Aberwrac’h, pretty much exactly 100nm) a few times, on a yacht with no self-steering.  Bloody stupid looking back, but I used to lash the helm and hope that I'd have time to run forward, have a pee and get back to the tiller before she luffed up...

I rest my case. Pee in the bucket in the cockpit where you can still keep control of the helm.

I am actually thinking of buying a travel john to try out If I get this one, SWMBO can use it as well. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Portable-Urine-Pee-Bottle-Unisex-Men-Women-1000ML-Urinal-Storage-Travel-Camping/273024948471?epid=2255543834&hash=item3f918e18f7:g:OkcAAOSwMGVaW161

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Just remember @JSHarris I heard a statistic that the majority of MOB incidents are men pumping ballast and falling in.

Personally I prefer the bucket then empty it over the side, and SWMBO uses the same bucket, so no discrimination.

Why don't you just make a hole in the bottom of the boat and pee into that?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Why don't you just make a hole in the bottom of the boat and pee into that?

If your aim is good you could pee into one of the cockpit drains, but might get complaints when things get smelly if you don't flush it through well with water.

Or stop messing about and use the heads.