One handed hedge cutter.........

Cpd

So my dad who is into his 80s  is still active and going strong, comes over three times a week to help on the project. However on the home front he is struggling with his hedge as the petrol hedge strimmer requires two hands, his balance is not so good these days and he needs a stick so can’t use the big hedge cutter. He asked if I knew of a one handed hedge trimmer, i was dubious but will do some research but thought I would ask the collective if anyone has any idea if these exist ? It’s a long shot I know but worth a try. Regards Colin 

I borrowed a neighbour's Bosch cordless hedge cutter a few weeks ago and it's light enough to use with one hand, but not easy, as the safety interlock on the trigger makes it hard to use with one hand, although I think you could probably manage it with practice.  I was surprised how well it worked, TBH, better than I expected for a lightweight bit of kit.  The hedge I was trimming was our side of the neighbours beech hedge, which included some pretty thick stuff, which I was surprised it managed to cut.

Best bet might be to go into a local tool shop with your dad and see if he can handle a cordless hedge cutter OK.  I reckon there's a chance he could.  The alternative is to weigh up the cost of  new hedge trimmer against the cost of getting someone in to cut the hedge.  It sounds a bit insensitive, but, realistically, even if he could manage a cordless hedge trimmer now, how long is that likely to last?  Might make more sense to just bite the bullet now and find a local chap to come in and do the hedges a couple of times a year.  There's  chap in our village who does gardening work like this for about £15/hr, which may well be cheaper than buying new tools to do the job in the long run.

Thanks for the ideas, yes...... it would be best to pay a local chap but my dad is really old school and he enjoys doing his chores. I think one day he will pass on the work but this needs to be a staged step down, a graceful retreat if you like. I will get him into the tool shop..... it  has very limited choise but better than nothing and hopefully we will get the idea. 

There arE couple more options.

This is a single handed 7.2V device from a Company called Terratek. £30.  Weighs 1kg. Comes wIth a 5 inch hedge cutter and a 3 inch trimmer. Can get an extendihandle, and a longer hedge cutter. 1hr run time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terratek-Lithium-Cordless-Trimmer-Cultivation/dp/B071ZSZQKP

or a Wolfgarten ACCU60 Comfort. Similar but 800g.

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/shop/battery-powered-handheld-shears-efe6c6ed/default.aspx

Or depending on whether  It is serious hedge cutting or eg fettling privet or box, then something more like a set of manual sheep shears could work, since they spring back and have 15-20cm blades. Also depends on your dad’s hand strength.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005GCT6CU

One place to ask advice might be Age U.K.?

Best of luck.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the help, I ended up getting him the one below, it’s the best of a bad bunch...... he is now waiting for some nice weather. I will report back if it’s been a success or failure. 

494B6546-8B13-4C8E-98E2-8CC61B06F651.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just to put this one to bed, I got my dad the Stihl hand shears and he has been using them all summer, he is very happy with them and is amazed at how long the battery lasts. For someone who struggles with mobility and who can’t  wield a two handed  hedge trimmer and who refuses to pay some local lad to cut the hedge for them.......these work !