Battery Strimmer - Recommendations

Triassic

My wife hates using the petrol Strimmer as it’s too heavy and noisy! She spotted someone in the village using a battery operated Strimmer and asked why don’t we get one.

Has anyone got one, are they any good, which make would you recommend?

Do you already have Makita / DeWalt / other cordless tools and chargers? 

If so, buy one naked ( do NOT go the the shop with the wang out !! ) which uses the batteries you have. 

If not, the big tool players all do one. Saw a guy next door to here with a beast of a DeWalt one that I think takes 2x batteries.(?).  Probably the Flex-volt

• Like 1

I’ve got one and a cordless mower. I couldn’t start the bloody petrol things on my own and struggled to lift them so I replaced with these. They are both light and easy to use. Slide the battery in and press the button. Slide the battery out when finished or need to swap it over. It’s useful if you have 2 batteries for when one runs out. This duo comes with 2 but you may want to buy a second battery if you just buy a strimmer. It doesn’t cut through really tough shrubs etc but I imagine that’s the way with most general purpose strimmers tbh. It’s a grass / weed strimmer not a brush cutter. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qualcast-Cordless-Lawnmower-Grass-Trimmer/dp/B01CTUMJAM

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Saw a guy next door to here with a beast of a DeWalt 

That’s a boys’ toy not a light girlie one! Bet it weighs twice as much as the one I bought! 

• Like 1

Another vote for the Makita.  I bought one primarily as I already have a load of Makita tools, so have lots of battery packs and a couple of chargers.  I've been surprised at just how good the strimmer is.  I bought a bare machine (no battery pack or charger) and the first time I used it wasn't expecting much, as there was a load of heavy growth that should have been too much for it, plus I was running it on a 4 or 5 year old battery pack that's seen a lot of hard use.  It did all I needed to do, is well balanced, has loads of adjustment, both for angle and length and isn't very heavy.

I'm tempted by the EGO range which seem to have very high voltage tools - less relevant to strimmers as to the chainsaw and hedge cutter I suppose. They are 56v as opposed to Makita's 36v (two 18v packs combined)

Edited by gravelld

Have been using these for a longtime - maybe a decade - to allow mum to do the gardening as the continued to get older.  Started off with a battery on the belt one, and now have a Bosch purchased about 3-4 years ago from B&Q of all places.

But since them lawn has now been abolished it hardly gets used.

If you can align with your tool system, that will be a good idea. I think that huge batteries may be a red herring for this - 3 hour sessions may not be a requirement.

My watchword would be make sure that the smallest person who would use it is comfortable.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

I was looking at this at one of the shows and was pleasantly surprised. 

Makita LXT Mower

I have petrol but at £160 if you have LXT batteries it’s got to be worth a look 

We have the same mower.  It's fine for a small lawn that's regularly maintained.  It's Achilles heel is that it won't handle long grass.  It has masses more battery life than we need for the small lawn at the new house, though, so if I let the grass get a bit long then there's plenty of battery capacity for three passes, starting off high then bringing it down a bit with each additional pass.  The other really big advantage is that the thing is very light weight, so easily moved around and easy to get in and out of the shed.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I think that huge batteries may be a red herring for this - 3 hour sessions may not be a requirement.

My watchword would be make sure that the smallest person who would use it is comfortable.

Yep totally. My mower mostly does my smallish lawn on a single battery, or sometimes needs the second one if it’s a heavy cut. The strimmer does all that I need on a single battery. I’ve definitely had enough of using it by the time the battery runs out. My main criteria was that they were both light enough for me to lift and use and both tick that most important box for me. Men will mostly want to get a larger one than women would choose. The hubby wanted me to get a larger mower with a larger cutting width but the extra 5 minutes it might take to mow is definitely worth the reduction in weight afaic. 

• Like 1

The difference between men and women ...

Gadget shopping 

Man - heads straight to the expensive ones, checks out bells and whistles all of which provide additional brownie points, looks for the most powerful and the most desirable from a man’s perspective. Brand status is important. 

Woman - knows more or less what they want, heads to the mid range, looks to see if it ticks the boxes they need, looks for an offer on something similar, man heads over and tells them that the one they’ve chosen isn’t up to the job. 

Handbag shopping 

Woman - wanders round checking quality, style, desirability. Brand status is important. 

Man - stands in the corner scowling, muttering that there are already too many handbags at home and why do you want to spend all that money on that. 

Venus vs Mars ?

• Like 1