Internorm lift & slide alternatives??

Vijay

Just wondered if anyone could suggest any alternatives for Internorm lift &sliders. Pretty shocked at how much a 3.8m 3g slider costs so wanted to look for some alternatives.

Also if anyone is happy with alternatives to a sliding door in an airtight house?

Cheers

Vijay

Edited by Vijay

I agree I wanted bifold and was shouted down by everyone.  I have internorm lift and slide and they are beautiful however I would say a word of warning if you are going for level thresholds (see vivinez blog on how to do it correctly) that whoever is doing the slab is aware of how they should be set in.   My so called professionals....pm, window installer and slab ppl (although to be fair to slab ppl they only worked from pm/window company drawings) made no provision clearly none of these people had any idea what they were doing with these windows.  I had leaking windows held us up for 3 months or more caused lots of damage and a lot of money to sort out and they all dodged it. I could have done better on my own.....expensive lesson again.

Go for lift and slide you wont regret it just fit them properly. LOL

4 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I agree I wanted bifold and was shouted down by everyone.  I have internorm lift and slide and they are beautiful however I would say a word of warning if you are going for level thresholds (see vivinez blog on how to do it correctly) that whoever is doing the slab is aware of how they should be set in.   My so called professionals....pm, window installer and slab ppl (although to be fair to slab ppl they only worked from pm/window company drawings) made no provision clearly none of these people had any idea what they were doing with these windows.  I had leaking windows held us up for 3 months or more caused lots of damage and a lot of money to sort out and they all dodged it. I could have done better on my own.....expensive lesson again.

Go for lift and slide you wont regret it just fit them properly. LOL

Do you know which blog it was as I can't see any titles to do with doors?

Did you consider any other manufacturers at all or was Internorm your only choice? One rep told me they were the only ones who did level thresholds

Vivinez  mentions the cut outs for the lift and slides in her slab blog...she shows a photo of timber pieces set in to make the necessary gaps for them to sit on.

I dont know for sure about others with level thresholds because I decided after looking at samples of Rationel Ideal Combi Kloeber and Velfac that I liked the quality of the Internorm best so I didn't delve too deeply.  I did get quotes so I can look back and see what they quoted for on thresholds....will let you know.

Edited by lizzie

@Vijay yes thats the blog entry.

I will have a look out my internorm quote see it says what mine were individually I have 4 lift and slides of varying sizes. My biggest is 3.5m.  I got quotes from several different Internorm dealers and they varied by several thousand pounds so its worth sending your spec out to a few not just one.

Have a 5.5 meter long Internorm lift and slide. Did a lot of research at the time comparing quotes and very happy with it. I've installed it flush with a polished concrete floor. Yes it wasn't cheap but my issue was not many companies could do one 5.5 meters long without dividing it into smaller parts. At 3.8 meters you might have more luck. You can go for Internorm PVC with aluclad instead of the timber with aluclad and save a bit if that helps. 

9 minutes ago, Vijay said:

By any chance, is there such a door that lifts outwards and slides to the side??

Velfac do something like this where the sliding leaf is initially in line with the fixed pane but can be pushed outwards to slide past.

It's G&T #2 for me now, but I will dig out my figures from Norrsken for you tomorrow, @Vijay.  I've got pretty big lift and slide going into my living area, so it should give you some idea of comparison.  If I don't get back you by the end of tomorrow, PM me to give me a nudge.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2018 at 16:11, Vijay said:

I'd appreciate it Lizzie. I got quoted £12,312.60 for 2 units plus £2350 for fitting which comes to £14,662.60 for the 2 doors. I knew they wouldn't be cheap but was surprised at that amount. 

Roughly consistent with my quotes.

Others are cheaper but not many provide sliders of such lengths (when 3G).

I'm not sure why Internorm are able to provide such a longer door, I am a *little* suspicious about them so would appreciate any long term owners of these doors chipping in.

We went with Gaulhofer in the end for our windows, which includes a 2.4m lift & slide. 

On 10/08/2018 at 18:19, Vijay said:

By any chance, is there such a door that lifts outwards and slides to the side??

Velfac do this IIRC.

@Vijay looked out our quotes. Our largest slider is 3500mm overall split 50/50 fixed and slide.  The Internorm quotes for that window started off at £6700 for upvc.  We ended up at circa £4500 for up spec ali clad/timber with laminated glass. That was not from the company who gave the first quote although they did come down quite a bit on their initial price. There is room for negotiation dont just take one quote and the first price.  The pricing on the windows must have some upper and lower guides to keep all the resellers in some sort of order but seems to me that 10%  min is  achievable. They set their own fitting fees so room to chip there.  If you get someone reasonably local to you then their fitting fees may be more flexible and reasonable than someone like ecohaus who operate nationwide but send teams out from their home base so possible extra transport/hotels etc factored in.

We had lots of quotes and samples of windows/frames.......Kloeber, Velfac, Ideal Combi, Rationel.....all half the price of Internorm but they were not able to do the big slider in the same way as Internorm they had limitations on size of glass.  Some of them had really nice slim frames but I wanted the biggest glass and I did not want an uneven split which was what they were offering to get the size. The quality of the Internorm products was to my mind streets ahead of the others but you pay for that quality. I asked all to quote for the lowest possible threshold and some did have a flat threshold but I cant find the detail at the mo....the limitation on the size of the glazing was my focus at that time.

My friend had some from a place in Coventry and she is happy enough with them but they were a compromise as her original window provider went bust with her 10k deposit and the time it takes to sort that out would have cost her a lot in delays so she had cheaper windows to keep on time but I have seen them and they look fine. Not Internorm but perfectly ok at a third of the price.  Not sure if they could do your sizes as she ended up with bifolds on her very large (circa 4m) openings.  If you want the name let me know and I will look it out.