External Meter Cabinet

LA3222

Hoping one of the forum sparkies can throw me a bone and shed some light on what's currently puzzling me!

Building an external meter cubicle - brick, concrete roof etc so like a mini outhouse for want of a better description (think there are a couple of members with something similar).

It will be weathertight - does this mean I can fit a standard Hager TP&N distribution  board in  there or, as it's "outside" but not outside if you get what I mean, does it have to have a minimum IP rating to comply with regs?

As always, any guidance is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Jamie 

@ProDave I did consider sticking meter boxes in there.  A three phase meter box though is larger and disproportionately more expensive.

Because the cabinet I make will be weather proof - does this mean I can stick a non IP65 (waterproof) distribution box directly into the cabinet without also putting it into a.n.other container.

In my mind I can, the cabinet will protect it from crap weather.

What I don't want to do though is spend good money on the distribution box to be be told "sorry pal, needs to be an IP65 or some such rated box" 

I'm wavering between taking the hit and sticking a box within a box by putting a three phase meter box in there aswell and swallowing the couple hundred that will cost vs wacking the Hager distribution box straight into it without any additional protection.

Jury's out at the minute!

Some good examples there @Russell griffiths and @worldwidewebs - very similar to what I'm looking to build.

Three Phase Supply there @Russell griffiths....Im getting a three phase supply put in, a nice expensive heavy duty isolation switch you have there.  Only problem with three phase so far is everything seems to shoot up in price!

Edited by LA3222

Not the best photo, but ours is a couple of fence stobs and a make shift box covered in a scrap bit of membrane and shed felt. It's been there since 2015, last summer I opened it up and it had a wasp nest in it. Got a fright closed the doors and jumped, carefully opened the door and noticed they were all dead or dying.

P1150127.thumb.JPG.d24750e7934eddfc096825411b4ab786.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 09/08/2018 at 21:33, LA3222 said:

Some good examples there @Russell griffiths and @worldwidewebs - very similar to what I'm looking to build.

Three Phase Supply there @Russell griffiths....Im getting a three phase supply put in, a nice expensive heavy duty isolation switch you have there.  Only problem with three phase so far is everything seems to shoot up in price!

I know this is a relatively old thread but what did you go for in the end?

I'm in exactly the same situation and struggling to decide/interpret what I can get away with from UKPN. 3phase system to be installed near the boundary which will be used as TBS then main supply once house and garage are going up. We much prefer the idea of building a brick hut (security and look) but the UKPN spec refers to a 100mm reinforced concrete roof slab which I'm struggling to work out how to build it (other than pour in situ), and it will look naff! It seems to be a requirement as the surveyor wrote on the papers to ignore spec written and build a hut thats at least 1.2H 1W 0.3D 'concrete roof'.

I really like what you did worldwidewebs - I assume because your meter is in a cabinet that the roof didnt have to be concrete?

I had considered doing the same and forking out for a surface mounted 3phase meter cabinet but they are something like £220, plus as we plan to use it as a TBS it still doesnt get us over the issue of space for sockets etc.. and I hate the idea of buying 2! Any further views greatly appreciated - its a relatively trivial issue but its causing me a slight headache regardless!

Side point - where did you guys locate the TBS earthing pin, outside the kiosks or through the slab?

Edited by sean1933

@sean1933 I built a kiosk out of concrete and block work.  I left enough slab to be able to add a brick outer at a later date once I know which bricks I intend to use for the plinth of the house.

I too put a concrete slab on top - yes it's fugly  it I will do something later to tart it up - cover it with wood, paint it or some such at a later date.  I intend to plant around it to semi hide it too.

To make the roof I made a form out of wood, bit of rebar and concrete then job done.  Weighed a couple hundred kilos so took two of us with a strop and digger to lift into place.

I have no temporary earth.  NPG have connected the supply to the pme earth from the get go.  I intend to get a caravan consumer u it installed using a TT earth which will give power for the build and our static.

Once I'm back down sarth I'll post some pics from my computer showing wot I dun! 

Disclaimer.  I am no pro.  I am entirely making this up as I go.  It may not look particularly pretty.?