walk in shower sizes

I quite like the mosaic n the shower floor and something I might not have looked at normally. Does it make it easier to tile in the former rather than normal large tiles that I assume would need cuts?

Is the glass just sealed with mastic on top of the grout line/ joint between mosaic and normal tiles? Or does it need more support?

24 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Is the glass just sealed with mastic on top of the grout line/ joint between mosaic and normal tiles? Or does it need more support?

His answer will involve tape, CT1 and baby wipes...explained in detail before on here I think?

Will try and find the thread.

8 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I've never understood why it isn't the standard way to install a shower - seems daft to position the mixer where you have to get a wet arm in order to turn the thing on.

Is it not pretty standard? Hotel shower, photo just taken. Shower head is a metre to the left. 

BC1CF573-ACB6-4CE7-9CDD-23F54C14D021.jpeg

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Is it not pretty standard? Hotel shower, photo just taken. Shower head is a metre to the left. 

It should be, but at the time I fitted our mixer at the opposite end to the shower in our old house, around 8 years ago now, everyone who saw it thought it was unusual, but a good idea.  Several of the people that viewed the house made the same comment, and said what a good idea it was to have the controls well away from the shower head. 

Even the plasterers, when boarding out our new house, thought I'd made a mistake and called me to come and check the hole for the shower, as there was only one pipe there, and they expected to see two (a cold and hot feed).  I had to explain to them that I was fitting the valve at the opposite side of the room, from the eaves space behind where they were boarding out, and the single pipe they could see just led from the mixer valve to the shower head.  They'd not seen this done before, either.

I wanted a remote shower mixer and found it strangely hard to find.  We visited a couple of the bathroom "sheds" in town, and none of them had one, just a variety of showers with the controls directly below the shower head.  It was only asking on hear that I found what I wanted and bought it all mail order from Bradford Bathrooms.

To me it just made sense. Whenever you turn a shower on, you always get cold water out first before the hot gets there. Why would you want your arm sprayed with cold water?

3 hours ago, newhome said:

Is it not pretty standard?

Not really. As most folk are used to an electric shower or a standard bar mixer / concentric valve where the business goes on in one place, then no. If people have been fortunate enough to be able to afford higher speed installs from day one then yes, it may well seem standard, but most have not. When I demonstrated this to my current clients ( who I steered away from B&Q and the 2 x new electric showers they were going to just replace as it was the easy route ) they were blown away, having been used to two utterly shit electric showers for a very long time they were simply unaware that there "was a better way".

I very rarely remove concealed stuff tbh, and its mostly bar mixers or electric units, but then the good stuff goes in and the smiles emerge. :)   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

To me it just made sense. Whenever you turn a shower on, you always get cold water out first before the hot gets there. Why would you want your arm sprayed with cold water?

I just used to turn the handset to one side, so it sprayed against the wall, and I waited the few seconds for it to heat up. Never got a cold arm ;) 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I wanted a remote shower mixer and found it strangely hard to find.  We visited a couple of the bathroom "sheds" in town, and none of them had one, just a variety of showers with the controls directly below the shower head.  It was only asking on hear that I found what I wanted and bought it all mail order from Bradford Bathrooms.

Wasn't it British Bathrooms? The place I linked?

3 hours ago, newhome said:

BC1CF573-ACB6-4CE7-9CDD-23F54C14D021.jpeg

Bet I'm not the only one that zoomed in on that valve looking for the reflection... :ph34r:

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bet I'm not the only one that zoomed in on that valve looking for the reflection... :ph34r:

Do you really think I would be that dense 9_9

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Your a dick lol

No dicks here ;)

I only have one shower with separate controls at home. I wanted them all like that but hubby decided that they would be easier to replace if they went wrong if they were the thermostatic bar mixer types so I only managed to persuade him to fit one. I only use that shower (downstairs) to shower the dogs so generally get soaked in the process anyway so getting a wet arm is neither here or there in the great scheme of things! 

Edited by newhome
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wasn't it British Bathrooms? The place I linked?

That's what I thought, but the invoice came back Bradford bathrooms.

One of those companies that trades under multiple names?