walk in shower sizes

Trying to decide how much room I'll need in the downstairs shower room and wondered what a good size is for a walk in shower (with glass panel as wall)? I really don't want elbow knocking sides so want to get this right :)

Cheers

Vijay

In our ensuite, we currently have 1400 x 800.  I prefer a 900 width and am currently planning a 1500 x 900 for our extension ensuite.  Very nice hotel we stayed in recently had an 2000 x 900 for a double shower with walls coming out from the sides and an open 600mm entrance in the centre (I go nowhere without my tape measure).  Very little splashing on the floor outside the area with that.

• Like 1

We set out our shower to be 1200 by 900. but didn't get around to sorting out the glass panel to enclose it.

Result is we have a shower area of 1200 by 1200 open to the rest of the bathroom.  We like the complete openness so much it is now unlikely we will ever fit the glass panel to enclose it.

I gave my students 760 x 1600 in their student house. But the 760 was constrained. 900 or 1000 x1800 sounds good.

To me the same footprint as a bath seems one way to be make a decision where the exact dimensions are not that important.

Another way is a comfortable size for 2 people (or 3 students) to enjoy themselves, or if downstairs space to wash 2 large muddy dogs, or person plus carer, or enough room to be spacious for a very fat man like Eglon King of Moab (content alert: gory story - young children will love it), or someone in a wheelchair. Or for space for a shower plus a bench or chair to sit and shave your legs.

Or you could plan to dry your washing in there with a dehumidifier.

Personally I think that say 900 x 1600 would be better than square, so one end can be wet, and the other "mainly dry".

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

great if you've got the space - the dry end of the shower is in reality 'dead' space most of the time.  If space is tight then I'd fit something like 900x1200 with a door - still good shower space and economical in a room.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

I agree with the need for width.  I fitted a 2000mm x 900mm tray with a fixed glass panel on one side, and that's more than enough room, I think:

5746b2101427d_Bathroom1shower.thumb.JPG.a03dc901550b00844ed4a5ca2a3f69ae.JPG

Mine is 1200 x 800 with 1200 glass panel and 300 flipper  panel, loads of room (for one ?) I wanted a 800 door but could not find one but with the flipper panel no, or very little water gets out of the tray area.

Right, min 900 it is then. I think I could possibly squeeze to 1000 so that would be great.

I'm planning on an open part which would be on the side (glass panel). I have a wall length of 2446(could possibly get a bit more) so I could happily have an 800 opening and then 1646 of glass panel - so you walk in the 800 opening and turn right to go into the shower which is 1646 to the end.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I gave my students 760 x 1600 in their student house. But the 760 was constrained. 900 or 1000 x1800 sounds good.

To me the same footprint as a bath seems one way to be make a decision where the exact dimensions are not that important.

Another way is a comfortable size for 2 people (or 3 students) to enjoy themselves, or if downstairs space to wash 2 large muddy dogs, or person plus carer, or enough room to be spacious for a very fat man like Eglon King of Moab (content alert: gory story - young children will love it), or someone in a wheelchair. Or for space for a shower plus a bench or chair to sit and shave your legs.

Or you could plan to dry your washing in there with a dehumidifier.

Personally I think that say 900 x 1600 would be better than square, so one end can be wet, and the other "mainly dry".

Ferdinand

Very good shout about muddy dogs and wheelchair access. I'd thought of the dogs but not wheelchair access. I want to plan for any future as best I can so I'm so glad you've mentioned it. I don't think 800 is wide enough for my opening then to go in and turn right for a wheelchair?

Beware moving up to 1000mm wide trays. There are few manufacturers that make them (good ones) and they are an order more expensive than 900. 

Also, lots of shower panel systems only come in 600/900/1200 so you’re either cutting 200 off or joining small panels to get 1000mm. Less of an issue with a walk in that’s tiled but still a consideration. 

• Like 1

I'd second @PeterWs comment about not going up to 1000mm.  We were concerned that the shower wouldn't be big enough (well, SWMBO was concerned, hence me building the house scale model to 1:50 scale so I could use model railway 1:50 characters to give a sense of scale, mainly for the shower...).  Once I'd finished the shower and she came over to see it her first comment was "It's bloody enormous!  I didn't think it was going to be that big!"

• Like 1

I had it in my head that it would be a tiled floor so no tray (although it could be by the time I get round to it). At the moment I'm just looking to make sure I get the space right as there's a door position I have to get right.

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'd second @PeterWs comment about not going up to 1000mm.  We were concerned that the shower wouldn't be big enough (well, SWMBO was concerned, hence me building the house scale model to 1:50 scale so I could use model railway 1:50 characters to give a sense of scale, mainly for the shower...).  Once I'd finished the shower and she came over to see it her first comment was "It's bloody enormous!  I didn't think it was going to be that big!"

I guess that's an issue a lot of self-builders face, sometimes difficult to imagine sizes of things until you're physically standing in it

Having just enjoyed a lovely shower with oodles space for me I got the tape out........mine is 900 wide from wall to glass screen.  Glass screen is 1500 long. The former under the floor (I have tiled floor not tray) is 900 x 1700.  The glass screen does not need to be the full length of the 'wet' area I have it just to deflect the large amount of water coming out of the big shower head.  From end of former I have another 1000 to wall so a big enough access. Overall length of my shower area is 2700 with 1500 screened by the glass, water rarely travels past the 1500 glass level and I do splash about a bit. Love my shower:-))

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Having just enjoyed a lovely shower with oodles space for me I got the tape out........mine is 900 wide from wall to glass screen.  Glass screen is 1500 long. The former under the floor (I have tiled floor not tray) is 900 x 1700.  The glass screen does not need to be the full length of the 'wet' area I have it just to deflect the large amount of water coming out of the big shower head.  From end of former I have another 1000 to wall so a big enough access. Overall length of my shower area is 2700 with 1500 screened by the glass, water rarely travels past the 1500 glass level and I do splash about a bit. Love my shower:-))

Now that's a happy response to a post!!! lol

• Thanks 1

This is mine in the posh bathroom. Front to back is 1.1m. End to end is 2.6m. The screen is 1.8m high.

Installed by the former owner. This is 8mo overkill. My plan is to shrink it a little by installing a bath on the left end on.

You could play tennis in this.

745453913_IMG_0759-s-Copy.jpg.0cf0df011977101d369c3a54fa0e50bc.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

1200mm is the smallest screen you can go for if you have a true wet 'open' area afaic. The ones I'm doing now ( 2 wet rooms same house ) are 1500x740mm ( window called the width :( ) with a 1200mm glass, open-ednded, and the upstairs will be 1850x850mm again with a 1200mm screen open-ended ( even though I told them to take it back and get a 1400mm to no avail.

The 1500mm long downstairs former is mosaic tiled beyond the glass screen but is still part of the sloped floor. Ill take a pic later and that'll explain in seconds. I've set the mixers out away from the shower heads, as frequently mentioned here, and it goes down a treat with the punters. 

14 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I've set the mixers out away from the shower heads, as frequently mentioned here, and it goes down a treat with the punters. 

A lot of people have copied that idea...

16 minutes ago, Onoff said:

A lot of people have copied that idea...

I first did it 8 years ago, when refurbishing  the bathroom in our old house, as it seemed daft to have to get your arm wet when turning on the shower to warm up.  I adopted the same system in the new house, of having the mixer at the opposite end to the shower head, because it worked so well at the old house.  I've never understood why it isn't the standard way to install a shower - seems daft to position the mixer where you have to get a wet arm in order to turn the thing on.