Durgo not fully working

So it's more of a 110mm opening in the garage floor. And it's not really directly underneath the shower, we've got a washing machine and worktop over it and units to the side. So to take a 110mm pipe up from it and from one wall across to another would be a bit of work. And the sink doesn't have an aav. Don't seem to have any issues with this.

29 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

The first pic shows the 50mm tee ( for the shower ) with a 32mm branch going off to the new airing cupboard. In there will be a short section of 32mm pipe, a 32mm tee, a 32mm AAV in the top of the tee, and then the boiler condensate into the same tee on a 32x21.5mm reducer. 

The pipe going down the wall should have been 50mm TBH, as you then get a massive improvement on air break. It'll basically be almost trying to form a stohon as it falls vertically so not the best bit of plumbing TBH. The rule is when dropping like that to oversize to get an air break. Yes, an AAV will allow air in, but not at the tornado rates that you'll be needing. 

Thanks Nick, it sounds like my shower waste pipe should really run across to the durgo pipe in order to get enough pressure up to the durgo to take the air it needs like CC45 and Jack have suggested. And then the option is to drop the pipe to the ground and then across to the left, or to take it across to the left higher up. All of this pipework for a little old shower!

25 minutes ago, Minky said:

Thanks Nick, it sounds like my shower waste pipe should really run across to the durgo pipe in order to get enough pressure up to the durgo to take the air it needs like CC45 and Jack have suggested. And then the option is to drop the pipe to the ground and then across to the left, or to take it across to the left higher up. All of this pipework for a little old shower!

try this first?  let us know if it works!

Just now, PeterW said:

What sort of shower trap is it ..?? Some have a minimum horizontal distance before any bend or drop - this could be your issue 

Interesting. One of our showers has always drained slowly - wonder if it's something to do with this.

You've got to try something for you to know whether it works or not and it seems to be the most straightforward idea we've all come up with.  As Nick said - you need to let more air into the system.

What's unusual to me to having the shower trap drop straight down - all of mine go horizontal (at a bit of a fall) to enter a 110mm soil - which itself is ventilated via an AAV

Interesting point made by @PeterW

@Nickfromwales will be along shortly I guess....  I would take whatever his advice is tbh

• Like 1

Ok thinking outside the box as usual 

if you went with @jack idea and had another trap in the vertical pipe then...........

why do you need a  durgo, 

what you need is air admittance 

not smell restricting 

you could have an open vent 

as the trap below is stopping smells coming back up. 

Have you tried  this with the durgo removed. 

Helmet on waiting to recieve incoming flack. 

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

this open vent will come from between the shower trap and the extra trap?  otherwise the foul smells will just come up anyway.  If a vacuum builds up after this additional trap - and empties it - won't that mean smells in the house?  It doesn't need to be the shower that creates the vacuum - it could be anything else connected to the run.  If the open vent went outside then it would be safer.... 

13 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ok thinking outside the box as usual 

if you went with @jack idea and had another trap in the vertical pipe then...........

why do you need a  durgo, 

what you need is air admittance 

not smell restricting 

Helmet on waiting to recieve incoming flack. 

A Durgo is an AAV. A bit like saying "where is my Stanley knife?" when it's made by Irwin. You don't say "pass me my Irwin knife" ;)

27 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

A Durgo is an AAV. A bit like saying "where is my Stanley knife?" when it's made by Irwin. You don't say "pass me my Irwin knife" ;)

What has its name got to do with anything

what I was getting at is this

is the AAV restricting air admittance, does it need to be there at all

does the system work better with no valve in place ? 

If it does then how about controlling smells coming up 

instead of preventing smells entering the area the AAV is situated. 

Lots of good suggestions, thanks all.

The shower trap is actually one made by Jackoboard. I might try looking them up again to see if there is any guidance around the clearance.

And it's a good suggestion about the open vent, although this would sit in the bedroom (in a cupboard) so is there the potential of condensation?

At one point I considered a Hepvo as there is a rubber seal around the shower trap which is removeable, and when it is removed there was no issue with drainage (before the durgo was fitted). But there was a bit of a smell when we'd been away for a couple of weeks. But they didnt do the Hepvo in the size that we'd need for the soil pipe and my plumber suggestion a Durgo!!

7 hours ago, Minky said:

So that's why I was wondering, are there different "strengths" of durgo? This one you suggested, I can see it's had quite good reviews - have you used it before?

On the first floor of my house I have a 110mm stack directly connected to two toilets and it is also connected to two 50mm wastes one from a shower and basin and the other from a bath and basin.There Is a Floplast AF110 on the main stack and an AV50 on the end of each of the 50mm pipes. I also have a downstairs toilet and basin on a separate 110mm waste with an AV50. All the the AAVs appear to work normally without any slowing running.

• Like 1