Garage door supplier needed

ProDave

I want to get a door on our garage that has been sitting doorless for nearly 3 years now, so I can get it set up properly as a workshop.

Originally we were planning an electric roller door which (I haven't actually had a quote) I understand would be in the order of £1K

But as ever in a quest so save money. SWMBO points out the garage is not for a car, they will live under the car port but we will need to get cars in to get them over the pit for servicing (and my Landrover might end up living in there)  So we don't need electric, manual will do.

Because the plan was a roller door, we didn't make it to any particular standard size and it has ended up with an opening size of 2370mm wide and 2310mm high.

Of course now I am looking for a cheaper option, I find none of the off the shelf standard doors will fit.

Any ideas?  A manual roller door might be the simplest, they fit behind the opening on the inside not in the opening, so the size does not have to be so precice.  So anyone know a supplier of cheap manual roller doors?

Another alternative might be a pair of hinged timber doors, but again not found a standard set that will fit.

Oh dear.  That has highlighted something I had forgotten about. Insulation.

If I went with the roller door from the local supplier that would be "insulated" now I don't expect it to be very well insulated as the ones I have seen appear to be plastic slats making up the roll, with presumably some token level of insulation between the 2 skins.

14 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

gumtree and found a pair of up and over doors perfect size 10 miles away for £100! Couldn’t quite believe our luck!

As above look on gumtree and eBay or put a wanted ad on the local FB site. Or even contact the local garage door company to see if they have something second hand that might suit. Customers upgrade doors and the old one gets taken away. Some are wrecks but some are just because a different style is wanted. 

Edited by newhome

20 hours ago, ProDave said:

I want to get a door on our garage that has been sitting doorless for nearly 3 years now, so I can get it set up properly as a workshop.

Originally we were planning an electric roller door which (I haven't actually had a quote) I understand would be in the order of £1K

But as ever in a quest so save money. SWMBO points out the garage is not for a car, they will live under the car port but we will need to get cars in to get them over the pit for servicing (and my Landrover might end up living in there)  So we don't need electric, manual will do.

Because the plan was a roller door, we didn't make it to any particular standard size and it has ended up with an opening size of 2370mm wide and 2310mm high.

Of course now I am looking for a cheaper option, I find none of the off the shelf standard doors will fit.

Any ideas?  A manual roller door might be the simplest, they fit behind the opening on the inside not in the opening, so the size does not have to be so precice.  So anyone know a supplier of cheap manual roller doors?

Another alternative might be a pair of hinged timber doors, but again not found a standard set that will fit.

Electric roller door with fob will be about £750.00 for that size.

20 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Electric roller door with fob will be about £750.00 for that size.

Roller Doors UK on ebay have come back with a price of £565 including delivery to the Highlands, 2 keyfobs etc. So I will ptobably go with that.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Roller Doors UK on ebay have come back with a price of £565 including delivery to the Highlands, 2 keyfobs etc. So I will ptobably go with that.

Sorted.

If you order it etc. let me know how you get on as I am shopping about for one too. 

Edited by Carrerahill

I will let you know how I get on.

I have just had a look at his ebay feedback, 100%. BUT only 1 garage door in the last 6 months, and all other feedback is over a year ago and totally different stuff.  

I will probably take a punt knowing I will get my money back from Paypal if it never arrives but it looks like he has only just started up selling garage doors, and possibly just changed his user name to reflect that.

Just for info, I had a 3m wide Seceuroglide "insulated" roller door fitted to our garage.  The foam-filled alloy slats are a joke in terms of insulation - the foam may as well not be there for all the good it does, as it's only about 10mm thick. 

Not really a problem in Winter, rather surprisingly, but a hell of a problem in Summer, as it faces south and the inside of the door gets too hot to touch when the sun's out.  The garage gets like an oven and I've plans to add a heat reflective curtain.  I did an initial trial with multifoil (yes, I know, but I couldn't think of anything else that I could easily make roll up as a secondary internal roller) and stapled some thin multifoil up across the the garage rafters  to test how well it worked (it's floored out as a storage area).  I can confirm the standard thin multifoil stuff is totally useless, as the loft space stays as cold in Winter and as hot in Summer as it ever did.  I'm currently having a re-think as to how best to insulate inside the roller door.  Needs to roll up, ideally, as I don't want to take up space with sheets of insulation.

I gave up trying Roller Door UK. They never answered their phone, and then a negative review popped up on ebay.

I tried a couple more, and ended up placing an order with Roller Doors Direct in Scunthorpe, they are another one that lists on ebay.  £505 including delivery for a 55mm insulated roller door made to measure.  Paid for in full by credit card so I should have some protection if it fails to turn up. 

I will keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...

The door arrived today, exactly when they said it would. Delivered by there own van who drove up from England yesterday, dropped one at Aberdeen this morning and a couple more to do in Scotland before he heads back.

Ii was easy to fit, fitted perfectly and seems to work well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...