Stove flashing

Is it typical to buy the upper part of the flue, stays and cowl when your fixing your roof or do you leave the stove till later in the build? Slating will occur in a few weeks and this is the last item that I'm yet to order.

Should I:

Leave all together till much later in the build?

Fit a flashing and leave a hole in the roof?

Fit a flashing and final flue so it looks like what is shown below

image.png.9c97c5ec31a6e409fe9a0577eae35322.png

I really like this the charnwood country 4, has anybody purchased this one?

https://www.charnwood.com/project/country-4/

It describes the flue as being a five inch flue outlet, so without sounding daft, I would need a 5 inch flashing?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Thedreamer

@Thedreamer

You could buy one of these lead flashings and get the roofers to fit it now. You'll need to check with the stove supplier to find out the diameter of the eventual stove pipe that they will be fitting so that you can correctly size the diameter of the lead flashing. The stove pipe will pass through it and they will install a weather skirt at the junction. The lead flashings are available in a variety of sizes. If you want a stove pipe without any bends it will also be important to very precise with the location of the lead flashing.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/6-lead-roofing-slate-450mm-x-450mm-x-45-degree.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwJrbBRAoEiwAGA1B_T59_q_aZ-zcEN0Q3W33OElZ6cpUSJqX5FjKsh3wwMYmFJIHcBsv3RoCpjcQAvD_BwE

For a 5" stove pipe you'll need a 6" flashing

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

No I don't think you use that sort of flashing with a twin wall flue pipe.  This is what you want https://www.flue-pipes.com/flashing-30-254.html

flue-pipes.com is where I got mine from, the cheapest I could find.

Depending how air tight and how well insulated you are building, you might want to look for a stove that takes it's combustion air direct from the outside via a duct rather than from the room. 

• Like 1

The guy who is currently doing my stove install came and put the bit through the roof in place 18 months ago, so the roofers could fit a lead flashing, and that's how it stayed until this weekend.

On the subject of airtightness though, I'm concerned I've made a massive oversight by installing a stove.  I got a room-sealed wood burner and put in an external air supply under the floor, but the installer is telling me that the penetrations between floors need to be ventilated (ground floor to first floor, first floor to loft).  This effectively gives me a ventilation shaft linking my warm, airtight ground floor to the open air....  

I naively didn't expect around the flue to be the leaky bit.  Surely there's a better solution than this?

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 06/08/2018 at 18:35, Roundtuit said:

The guy who is currently doing my stove install came and put the bit through the roof in place 18 months ago, so the roofers could fit a lead flashing, and that's how it stayed until this weekend.

On the subject of airtightness though, I'm concerned I've made a massive oversight by installing a stove.  I got a room-sealed wood burner and put in an external air supply under the floor, but the installer is telling me that the penetrations between floors need to be ventilated (ground floor to first floor, first floor to loft).  This effectively gives me a ventilation shaft linking my warm, airtight ground floor to the open air....  

I naively didn't expect around the flue to be the leaky bit.  Surely there's a better solution than this?

You appear to have had the same concerns as me regarding the ventilated firestop and i was wondering if you came up with a solution.

I have a reasonably airtight newbuild with mvhr. Im installing a stove with external air source. The regulations state you must have a ventilated firestop between floors so i am basically connecting my living room directly to the cold attic space. 

On 21/03/2023 at 22:11, Elton said:

i was wondering if you came up with a solution.

I did, but not an 'official' one.... where the flue exited the airtight layer into the loft space (first floor ceiling), I replaced the ventilated thing with cement board and sealed it with fireproof mastic.  I can't see as that's significantly different from, say, a twin wall flue exiting a vaulted ceiling tbh.  Between floors is boxed in and ventilated top and bottom.

I was thinking of doing something similar. As I understand it the purpose of the ventilated firestop is to stop the build up of hot air in the boxing. So if i block it at the vapor barrier  going into loft space but i put ventilation in the boxing below it should do the same job. Is this what you did? If so what size vents did you put in the boxing?

I does seem silly to me that there is no provision for air tightish houses in the regs