Ceiling height for open-plan room

Original poster (OP) here.

Wow, thank you all for your contributions! I have read through them twice.

The consensus is clear: go for height.

And I am inspired to try and do something imaginative with the ceiling/roof, not just a flat-roofed box.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

am inspired to try and do something imaginative with the ceiling/roof, not just a flat-roofed box.

This is your one chance, so do not go for a flat roofed box! Unless you really want to live in a modernist box!

edit - why only one high level window?

Edited by Triassic

37 minutes ago, Triassic said:

edit - why only one high level window?

By window I mean a normal window in a wall, rather than the roof.

It is because the plot is a garden plot and is overlooked by neighbours (one of whom has an effective veto on the design as he is the vendor). 

To compensate for the lack of windows in the walls I am planning multiple sky lights in the flat roof.

18 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

To compensate for the lack of windows in the walls I am planning multiple sky lights in the flat roof.

Just out of curiosity...

Any chance of digging down say 500mm to lower the floor level in this area and increase the ceiling height..?? With a series of reasonably sized roof windows - even non-opening ones - you could get some fabulous light into the area.

28 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

By window I mean a normal window in a wall, rather than the roof.

It is because the plot is a garden plot and is overlooked by neighbours (one of whom has an effective veto on the design as he is the vendor). 

Couple of things (which you may already have thought about):

Would high level windows (ie, lowest point say 1.8m) be acceptable, or  could your neighbour still see in? We have a number of rooms with 2000 wide x 400 high windows that overlook our next door neighbour's garden, and they work very well.

What about obscured glazing?

Also, roof lights are great for light, but unless you have some form of blind, they also have a lot of solar gain in summer. In the wrong place they can also be quite uncomfortable to stand/sit under at certain times of the day. 

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Any chance of digging down say 500mm to lower the floor level in this area and increase the ceiling height..?? With a series of reasonably sized roof windows - even non-opening ones - you could get some fabulous light into the area.

@PeterW, thanks, I would dearly love to do that. Unfortunately, I am no-dig over a large part of the site because of the roots of a chestnut tree just outside the plot boundary. As a consequence, and because of clay about 3m down, the foundations will be: screw piles and ring beam over a 150 mm void to passive-house floor cassettes. At least that's the current idea. I have changed my mind a few times already.

Although its no-dig, I think that no-dig does not mean no digging at all. I think 200mm might be permissible in the context of preparing the site. If anyone else has experience of this, I would be very interested to hear.

8 minutes ago, jack said:

Would high level windows (ie, lowest point say 1.8m) be acceptable, or  could your neighbour still see in? We have a number of rooms with 2000 wide x 400 high windows that overlook our next door neighbour's garden, and they work very well.

@jack good idea. But the neighbour/vendor is particularly concerned about light pollution. They have a raised patio at the house end of the garden, directly looking towards my plot and, despite it being in the middle of the city, the site is pleasingly dark at night. Thus any window directly pointing at them is to be avoided.

8 minutes ago, jack said:

Also, roof lights are great for light, but unless you have some form of blind, they also have a lot of solar gain in summer. In the wrong place they can also be quite uncomfortable to stand/sit under at certain times of the day. 

Very good point. The roof lights need to be well designed to be a benefit and not a curse. I hope I am up to it.

Edited by Dreadnaught
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

@jack good idea. But the neighbour/vendor is particularly concerned about light pollution.

Fair enough, although to some extent they should expect a change in circumstances when they sell someone a piece of their land!!!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

how close is the tree..? Have you got a site plan that you can post..?

At its closest the new house is is 5030mm from the chestnut tree. In all, about 2/3 of the new house's foundations are outside the root-protection zone.

Cannot post a site plan to a public forum quite yet. Should be able to do so in a few weeks time.

There is, of course, One way glazing. and have you considered a bay window with optionally opened/ closed blinds. Sun can come from 3 directions then. Climbing plants etc can partially obscure vision from inside or outside...adds character to the room too...even in a corner!

We have a kitchen diner space here that is 10m * 4m that has a ceiling of 2450-70 or so. Feels good to me. Was well worth the effort to oversize. 

The illusion is completed by the oversize French Windows (2200 vs a more standard 2100) and the adjoining atrium. 5m * 6m with a double height space and double height glass screen. 

I think 2450 would be fine. You could do some thing really magical with a little more. You could also ruin it with downstands.