Spirit level recommendation please

Vijay

Hi,

Thought I'd test my spirit level for vertical accuracy only to find out it's warped. Not sure how this happens on a box section level, but assume being 1800mm with no case, throwing in the car and taking the odd bash would do it.

So I just wondered if anyone has any recommendations for an at least 1800mm. So far I've looked at Stabila and Stanley Fatmax and wondered if there's any advantage on box section or I beam? Having one with 2 vertical vials would be handy but most seam to come with the one unless you spend silly money.  

Anything else to consider?

Cheers

Vijay

I’ve got the Stabila 1200 masons level,but as you say it’s top money. 

All Id say is-whatever you buy don’t hit it with anything!

1200mm rather than 1800 might be better insofar as less of it to get bashed in the car,so reducing the potential for damage. 

+1 to the 1200 Stabila. If you need longer then drop it onto a length of straight timber. 

Ox used to to be good and I saw a full set for about £70 +VAT online recently but not sure if quality has suffered recently 

Already got a 1200 but have found the 1800 really useful on site while working with ICF.

Is the only reason you guys suggest going to a 1200 cos of transport damage?

Hadn't really heard of Ox tools before apart from Selco BM do a full range of their tools

Had a 1800 Stabila as part of a kit but managed to bend it!

Got a red Forge Steel one as a cheap replacement but it's "alright" at best. I've had to tick the best end bubble when using it vertically and put an X on the less accurate bubble.

I've reset and calibrated levels a few times after they've been knocked.  Not hard to do, but they all have some means of adjustment, often shims.  Easy to calibrate with an end over end check.

If the box section gets bent then you're screwed, but general knocks throwing them out can usually be fixed without too much hassle.

• 2 months later...

Stabila for me. Bought a full set of them for the build - stupid shop sent them wrapped in polythene only as "protection"  and the 1800 one had been severely bent in transit - I mean visibly bent ! The others were ok and I ended up just buying one from wickes which has  also stayed absolutely true (I check them against each other from time to time) despite much use.