garden time

I am now starting to get going on some planting.  The plot is a suntrap in summer but gets all the weather in winter after deliberation on what will withstand drought, baking heat and then howling wind in autum and winter I am having a mediterranean style garden very simple no borders or beds to dig I want it to be easily maintained with minimal outside help so I have built raised planters (rendered) and gravelled areas for pots to stand on.  All that I will put in the ground will be some climbers for the pergola (hoping to grow grapes on that) plus of course a lawn.

Yesterday I planted 30 french lavenders in the new  planters topped off with left over slate from the house (goes with my gabion bench too) today I have to pot up 4 fair size olive trees and small lemon and orange trees plus some giant agapanthus and some impulse umbrella bamboos......oh and 4 large miscanthus.

I am lucky I have a good start with existing very large potted things as I brought mine from previous house......huge bamboos, 2m high lollipop bays and olives, big Nandinas and acers....all cherished for many years. Nearly fainted when I worked out what it would cost me to replace things of that size at garden centre!

Hoping to get some school holiday labour to help with fence painting next week.

B88FFC62-900D-40ED-BA92-5094BE77CE4A.jpeg

2B1F4247-BEF3-43FD-8D26-4FE9A6A8F90B.jpeg

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Wow Lizzie!

What a beautiful setting.

Don't think I had seen pics of the views before.

Love the planters, very crisp.

I have always had blousey cottage style gardens but want something low maintenance & contemporary for the new house.

me too on change of style and thank you

Looks perfect for a low maintenance garden. Lovely outlook too. 

Looked the white one up - Lavendula Snowman but it seems to have finished flowering now whereas the others are still going.

Love the acer (assume it's an acer?). Can't have them here - just too fragile by the coast. I couldn't have those tree like ones either (bay?). Anything like that would be ripped apart. Pity as those are really attractive. I have several types of hebe that so far have survived all weathers and could possibly withstand a small bomb. 

• Like 1

See....I knew it began with an A 'snowman' LOL

Yes acer and bay - may have to move them into a sheltered spot out of the wind over the winter......bought myself a new sack trolley this week just for pot moving, independent woman Yay!

I never had great luck with hebe at previous garden might give some a go here.

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

bought myself a new sack trolley this week just for pot moving, independent woman

Lol, I have various contraptions so that I can move stuff these days; dollys, sack trolleys and the like. No choice if you are on your own. Best I ever did before was 'help' a little. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2018 at 14:36, lizzie said:

I am now starting to get going on some planting.  The plot is a suntrap in summer but gets all the weather in winter after deliberation on what will withstand drought, baking heat and then howling wind in autum and winter I am having a mediterranean style garden very simple no borders or beds to dig I want it to be easily maintained with minimal outside help so I have built raised planters (rendered) and gravelled areas for pots to stand on.  All that I will put in the ground will be some climbers for the pergola (hoping to grow grapes on that) plus of course a lawn.

Yesterday I planted 30 french lavenders in the new  planters topped off with left over slate from the house (goes with my gabion bench too) today I have to pot up 4 fair size olive trees and small lemon and orange trees plus some giant agapanthus and some impulse umbrella bamboos......oh and 4 large miscanthus.

I am lucky I have a good start with existing very large potted things as I brought mine from previous house......huge bamboos, 2m high lollipop bays and olives, big Nandinas and acers....all cherished for many years. Nearly fainted when I worked out what it would cost me to replace things of that size at garden centre!

Hoping to get some school holiday labour to help with fence painting next week.

B88FFC62-900D-40ED-BA92-5094BE77CE4A.jpeg

2B1F4247-BEF3-43FD-8D26-4FE9A6A8F90B.jpeg

That is a GREAT garden. Do you have a photo of how is it right now, at the end of the summer?

20 minutes ago, OvertheGardenWall said:

That is a GREAT garden. Do you have a photo of how is it right now, at the end of the summer?

Thank you.  I'm pleased with the way its coming together.

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_0155.JPG

Edited by lizzie
  • Like 4