New directory from Passivehouse Plus magazine

Square Feet

Hi all, 

I don't know if any of you read Passive House Plus magazine, but I have found it a useful source of information and inspiration.  They are Ireland based, but put out a UK version of the magazine.  It is probably more geared at Architects and the like and so can be a bit technical, but I like to see which way the wind is blowing and learn about new ideas early, even if I don't always completely understand them!

Anyway, they have just launched a new trade directory online which I thought might interest some.  It has only just gone live, so hopefully will grow a bit in future.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/directory?featured=0&geolocation=0&radius=100&resetSearch=1

If anyone is interested in seeing what the magazine has to offer without subscribing then they will send you two free copies if you give them your details:

https://passivehouseplus.ie/enquiries

• Thanks 2

I paid £25 for a one-year subscription three years ago and they keep sending it to me!  They recently confirmed that this is what they do - I guess sales revenue is less important than ad revenue and circulation or something.  No complaints from me either - I love it, just which it was more frequent than every two months.

Same here, I subscribed years ago, when we were first planning the house and at the time when it was only an Irish production.  I was then sent the UK version of the magazine for a fair time afterwards, without paying.

It's not a bad magazine, but often seems a bit thin on practical content, and even the UK version still seemed to have a fair bit of content that seemed to have come from the Irish version.

You used to get a free subscription if you joined the AECB, I believe, but I'm not sure whether you do now.  The AECB seems to be very quiet now, with a forum that's barely used, compared to how it was before they revamped things two or three years ago.  Pity, as I thought that the AECB was a generally good body.  It seems to have suffered a bit from some in-fighting over the wood burning supporters versus the passive house supporters, plus it's become a bit inward looking, from what I can gather.

I recently received a bunch of messages from them saying that if I wanted to continue to receive it for free I had to 'opt in'  it was related to the raft of similar messages about email subscriptions and the like that happened recently.  If you didn't receive that message or didn't respond then that would be why they stopped sending it I guess.

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

You used to get a free subscription if you joined the AECB, I believe, but I'm not sure whether you do now.  The AECB seems to be very quiet now, with a forum that's barely used, compared to how it was before they revamped things two or three years ago.  Pity, as I thought that the AECB was a generally good body.  It seems to have suffered a bit from some in-fighting over the wood burning supporters versus the passive house supporters, plus it's become a bit inward looking, from what I can gather.

Ah yes, now it's coming back to me. I joined the AECB and received the magazine that way.

I naively thought that they'd be interested in having aboard people like me who were interested in passivhaus and low energy buildings, and who were about to build one. Bear in mind this was 5 years ago, when the profile of low energy buildings was much lower. It turned out they couldn't have been less interested. The forums were very quiet even then (I think I joined to access the members only parts of the forum, but they weren't much better than the public section).

On the whole I found the whole thing cliquey and insular, so didn't bother renewing the next year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jack said:

Ah yes, now it's coming back to me. I joined the AECB and received the magazine that way.

I naively thought that they'd be interested in having aboard people like me who were interested in passivhaus and low energy buildings, and who were about to build one. Bear in mind this was 5 years ago, when the profile of low energy buildings was much lower. It turned out they couldn't have been less interested. The forums were very quiet even then (I think I joined to access the members only parts of the forum, but they weren't much better than the public section).

On the whole I found the whole thing cliquey and insular, so didn't bother renewing the next year.

That is EXACTLY the same as my AECB experience, to a tee, even down to the timing, more or less (I think it was about 7 years ago that I first got involved with them).  Such a pity, as there was a load of potential there to create an organisation that could really have made a difference.

• Like 1

From memory, I actually spoke to them (or one of their members) at ecobuild after I joined, and got the distinct impression that they were only interested in commercial members and business to business discussions/transactions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

From memory, I actually spoke to them (or one of their members) at ecobuild after I joined, and got the distinct impression that they were only interested in commercial members and business to business discussions/transactions.

Same here.  A local member quickly contacted me, but it was clear he was really after work as a consultant.  I've since met him a few times and he's pretty much confirmed exactly what you've said, they are only interested in being a business association, not an organisation that has any dealing with the general public or even self-builders.  Seems a bit short sighted in my view, as I get the feeling that there are probably more energy efficient houses being built by self-builders than there are by developers etc.

23 minutes ago, Square Feet said:

For some reason Passive House Plus have outdone themselves this month and sent me two copies.  If anyone would like my spare copy for free then send me a message with your address and I will post it over.

I'd have it off you but it'll only depress me! :)

2 hours ago, Square Feet said:

That a no then?

Still up for grabs if anyone wants it.....

Oh go on then if only to show to SWMBO what could be done if she'd get on board. I'll PayPal you the postage if you like. PM incoming. Cheers.

On 12/08/2018 at 17:27, Square Feet said:

Will do. Postage is on me - just glad it's not going to waste.

Received with thanks. Went to sleep last night reading about the Norwegian Powerhouse building standard. Going to read every page! Cheers.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2018 at 16:58, Onoff said:

Oh go on then if only to show to SWMBO what could be done if she'd get on board

Get on board ?. Poor woman would likely be pushing up daisies waiting for you to finish getting your house to passive levels ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

Received with thanks. Went to sleep last night reading about the Norwegian Powerhouse building standard. Going to read every page! Cheers.

There is some good nerdy reading about passive slabs towards the end....

On 17/08/2018 at 11:50, Square Feet said:

There is some good nerdy reading about passive slabs towards the end....

Just read that. So many combinations, raft, double ring beam etc. Fascinating.

Rather taken by the Armagh Passive House.