Questions about Waste Transfer, Licenses etc

37 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Specifically, if I take stuff like the plastic wrapping my timber I-beams came in to the local tip, is there anything I can quote to say, no, for my DIY build this is not commercial waste?

There is no clear rule I think. If you turn up in a sign written van they automatically assume trade unless they can be persuaded otherwise. If you turn up too often and they recognise you, or you try to dump too much stuff at once they assume trade. If you can get it in a car or small trailer and don't go there every day then you probably won't be challenged IME. I do try to use the wheelie bin as much as I can. 

For some time now, in my "trade" capacity as an electrician, I leave all waste with the customer, usually straight into their own wheelie bin. I don't want to open the can of worms about transporting trade waste, I never have waste in my vehicle, just stock.

Highland Council require you to fill in a form if you are disposing of private waste either in a trailer or in a sign written vehicle, to declare that it is personal waste. Of course it would be far too helpful if they had a stock of these forms at the tip for you to fill in.  You need to know about them and download and print one first before you set out.  I have never been contested or stopped for going too often, but then I don't go very often anyway.

Just read this on the local site. I don't take a trailer or have a van so didn't realise until I just looked:

Can I bring my items in a van or trailer?

You may bring your items to the Recycling Centres in a van or with a trailer between 08:30 - 10:30. Height barriers are in operation at all four sites outwith these times.

You will need to register the vehicle at the Recycling Centre.

If you are bringing waste in a van or a trailer you will be restricted to twelve visits per calendar year. For the following waste types*:

• Non recyclable and mixed waste
  • Garden waste
  • Rubble
  • Wood/laminates
  • Soil
  • DIY waste - such as kitchen units/bathroom suites/doors/flooring/fencing
  • Construction and demolition waste

*This list is not exhaustive other waste types may also be subject to the twelve visit restriction.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

^^ At least that list is clear with a set number of visits. @JSHarris got banned just for going too often, with no clear policy of how often was acceptable.

To be specific, I was banned after three visits on consecutive days, but you're spot on that I wasn't told why or how often one could visit and not be banned.

This is what ours say about Trade Waste. This looks illegal to me as it discriminates against people who cannot DIY and cannot drive.

Trade waste

If you pay for work to be carried out in your home or garden, the waste that's created is the legal responsibility of the tradesperson you have employed to arrange for it to be removed and disposed of.

The cost of them removing this waste should be included and agreed in the quote they provide you before the work begins. 

It is your responsibility to ensure that they have a valid waste carrier's licence and that they provide details of where the waste will be taken for disposal.

And Trailers:

You may only use our recycling centres with the following types of vehicle:

• car or minibus (with or without single or double-axle trailer, maximum size 3m length by 2m wide)
  • van (note there is a different process for temporary access using a hire van)
  • pick-up
  • campervan
  • motorcycle/moped

You cannot use our recycling centres with the following types of vehicle:

• van with any trailer
  • pick-up with any trailer
  • horsebox or any other vehicle used to transport horses or other animals.

They are not clear as to whether you can take a horse and cart.

The guys at the local centre give different advice on Trailer Size, and told me there are no limits.

Our local Council provides a Property Improvement handyman type service to both Residents and Businesses; they have not specified publicly what happens to waste generated. Presumably they take it away as required under the regulations of the County Council ?.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I’m not even sure how they expect you to get rid of some waste if you don’t drive or it’s large TBH. My council will not collect any garden refuse (apart from the stuff I put in the bottom of the wheelie bin :ph34r:) and nor do they provide a (paid) collection service for larger items from my postcode but they do from other areas in the LA. In the neighbouring LA (200 yards away) they have a special (Brown) bin for garden waste.  

It seems to get more difficult every year. When we did the build the hubby went to the tip with a long twin axle trailer (or sometimes a sheep trailer) about once a week. Now we would have to get skips instead I imagine. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Highland Council require you to fill in a form if you are disposing of private waste either in a trailer or in a sign written vehicle, …

Yep. Also for vans, whether sign written or not. The tip in Wick required it for my unmarked (other than rust and dirt) Hiace.

• 2 months later...

Well house is built mostly and so far not a single trip to the tip or a skip hired! Lots of fires (when wind blowing away from village - I actually caused a cow to start coughing the other day ?) and judicious use of the bottom of the bin and friendly neighbours bins - a little at a time. Plasterboard offcuts a little troublesome but not impossible to resolve. I *hate* fly tippers with a vengeance - one travelled 20 odd miles to tip near our village and I discovered it - fortunately he was dumb enough to leave stuff with his address amongst it ?

Edited by curlewhouse

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2018 at 19:46, curlewhouse said:

I *hate* fly tippers with a vengeance - one travelled 20 odd miles to tip near our village and I discovered it - fortunately he was dumb enough to leave stuff with his address amongst it ?

Don't assume it was that person. We once gave some empty boxes to a colleague of my wife's who's sister was moving. A few months later I got a penalty notice from a neighbouring council with photographic "evidence" of my fly tipping.

It didn't take too much to get it sorted, but i learned to always remove name/address labels from any boxes i gave to others.

17 hours ago, AliMcLeod said:

Don't assume it was that person. We once gave some empty boxes to a colleague of my wife's who's sister was moving. A few months later I got a penalty notice from a neighbouring council with photographic "evidence" of my fly tipping.

It didn't take too much to get it sorted, but i learned to always remove name/address labels from any boxes i gave to others.

I think that in law the person who supplies the rubbish which is fly tipped is responsible or co-responsible.

ie your boxes - final legal disposal is your responsible.

(Yes take the addreses off.)

F

2 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

In this case there were a few boxes, one with my address, along with other rubbish. They assumed it had all originated from me.

Regulators making assumptions? Say it ain't so ?:).

F

PS How does enforcement work across the border at Berwick? 

1 minute ago, AliMcLeod said:

I'm sure I've got a picture of the letter somewhere - am looking for it.

I actually meant if eg Scrote gathers rubbish in England and dumps it in Scotland, or vice versa.

Presumably laws are separate on even that type of issue.

It wasn't a serious question. 

If they can't unify alcohol, then waste may be a taller order.