2 hours ago, daiking said:

And now the ban has been canned due partly due to a reduction in water usage as well as lower temps and some rain which means the figures in the OP are decidedly fishy.

Well it’s been pi**ing it down here so we’re back to BAU in Scotland ?

11 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok chaps. Lets keep this to the facts and leave personal feelings / emotion out of it. 

I have a gun, and I'm not afraid to use it. ?

Foam gun? Nail gun?

I'm sharing my private water supply with a neighbour; I put a garden tap next to her vegetable garden, as she was concerned a couple of years ago that any hosepipe ban might leave her unable to water her vegetables, plus she's on a water meter, and was worried about the cost.  Given that our water is, to all intents and purposes, free, it seemed unreasonable not to share it around, although I did have to put a notice on the tap saying that it was not drinking water - failure to do that could have got me into all sorts of legal problems, not to mention needing to have annual water tests at £120 a go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'm sharing my private water supply with a neighbour; I put a garden tap next to her vegetable garden, as she was concerned a couple of years ago that any hosepipe ban might leave her unable to water her vegetables, plus she's on a water meter, and was worried about the cost.  Given that our water is, to all intents and purposes, free, it seemed unreasonable not to share it around, although I did have to put a notice on the tap saying that it was not drinking water - failure to do that could have got me into all sorts of legal problems, not to mention needing to have annual water tests at £120 a go.

Free veg? :)

As an aside I see in today's Times that farmers are being granted flexible extraction licences to enable them to take more water from rivers & streams etc. The EA is doing this over fears about food production.

20 hours ago, daiking said:

And now the ban has been canned due partly due to a reduction in water usage as well as lower temps and some rain which means the figures in the OP are decidedly fishy.

The figures are updated weekly. Agree that fish seem to be involved, as the amount left in the reservoirs seems to have continued going down albeit more slowly (except for West Cumbria). Pity the Burghers of Carlisle, where the ban stands.

Suspect there may be a PR Calypso played on a violin all summer about this.

Latest

20180803-cumbria-reservoir-levels-2.thumb.jpg.cf2146331c034e41c503ab74a16678ee.jpg

Previous

20180801-cumbria-reservoir-levels.thumb.jpg.a00c13c8a66490c289dbb6ac40b4e566.jpg

21 hours ago, daiking said:

@Ferdinand

On your first post is there a breakdown of figures to discriminate between residential and industry demands? And whilst £130bn sounds a lot, it’s not a lot per person per year.

On the second point, I’m not making a judgement about the make up of the economy, just making a judgement about those who say that the young should sit at home eating beans on toast for the rest of their lives when the formation of the economy demands they go out and spend their money because otherwise the wheels fall off. 

Cant remember where but was recently reading how Europe tends to be around 60% consumption whereas we are fast heading toward the 70% of the US economy. Not sure that’s a good thing, long term.

The EU Water Stats page linked does include some residential vs industry comparisons, but I am not *that* convinced by the quality of the data as there seem to be some peculiar numbers that defy explanation. On the investment, the comparison we need is real terms numbers with what went before - we need data from the war until 1990.

My view - which I do not have the data to prove - is that there may well have been relatively heavy investment up to the 1960s, then less in the 1970s because the economy etc, and either not very much or moderately more in the 1980s (idealogical reasons and policy), followed by a boom in investment after privatisation. I think that is more or less the pattern on the railways, for example.

eu-water-consumption-2.thumb.jpg.f748a100208e33a448115420dc5cebc6.jpg

Point 2: Fair enough.

Point 3:

Cant remember where but was recently reading how Europe tends to be around 60% consumption whereas we are fast heading toward the 70% of the US economy. Not sure that’s a good thing, long term.

I haven't seen or got any information that would allow that determination. Be interested to see it if it turns up.

F

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

This is presumably a different neighbour than the one with the free retaining wall ? ?

F

It is indeed!  That neighbour died last year and we now have a much more reasonable couple living there, which has made life a lot easier, and allowed me to erect the fence on top of the retaining wall that I had originally wanted to fit.

The neighbour with the big vegetable plot is to the side, and has always been tremendously helpful and supportive, right from the very start of the build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...