Grinding concrete

worldwidewebs

We had a concrete slab laid for the patio as we're going to be tiling it, but in a few places the concrete is too high by between 5-10mm. The total problem area is probably 3-4m2.

What would be the best/easiest/most cost effective way of getting it back to the right level?

I've looked at concrete grinding machines but they look like overkill for what we need. Would a cup grinder do the job and can I just fit it to a cordless drill?

No and no .... not unless you want to buy a new cordless drill ..!! 

You need a 9” Makita concrete grinder, preferably a 110v one .............. even better if it’s fitted with a “Dave” attachment eh @Nickfromwales..??

I have a grinder you can borrow but sadly Nick broke my “Dave” grinding 20sqm of concrete so you’ll have to provide your own..!

22 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

We had a concrete slab laid for the patio as we're going to be tiling it, but in a few places the concrete is too high by between 5-10mm. The total problem area is probably 3-4m2.

What would be the best/easiest/most cost effective way of getting it back to the right level?

I've looked at concrete grinding machines but they look like overkill for what we need. Would a cup grinder do the job and can I just fit it to a cordless drill?

I hired a screed planer last week from speedy Just puts it over the high spots Like mowing a lawn

Very effective 

1 hour ago, nod said:

I hired a screed planer last week from speedy Just puts it over the high spots Like mowing a lawn

Very effective 

Which model did you go for? They look quite aggressive - are they easy to control and is it possible to do up to an edge? For the most part I don't want to take too much off and as well as going up to a wall I need to go quite close to a glass sliding door

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

You need a 9” Makita concrete grinder, preferably a 110v one .............. even better if it’s fitted with a “Dave” attachment eh @Nickfromwales..??

I have a grinder you can borrow but sadly Nick broke my “Dave” grinding 20sqm of concrete so you’ll have to provide your own..!

Cheers Peter - I may well take you up on that. Whereabouts are you?

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

if doing any grinding near that door YOU MUST fully mask the glass and frame

any sparks can etch into the face of the glass

you can buy 8x4 sheets of very thin floor protection plastic

Mine has a huge diamond cup disk and you get very few sparks but lots of dust......

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

He can't hold his beer either. 

41 minutes ago, worldwidewebs said:

Which model did you go for? They look quite aggressive - are they easy to control and is it possible to do up to an edge? For the most part I don't want to take too much off and as well as going up to a wall I need to go quite close to a glass sliding door

They only do two versions of the same model 110v and petrol

We normally take the 110 scarifier 

Petrol is a bit funky indoors 

They are really easy to use and can be adjusted to take as little as 2 mil off You can get within 200 mil of comers and edges 

You have to use a grinder in the corners 

Grinders are ok but slow and and you are right down there on your hands a knees with the dust 

We recently tiled a swimming pool and had to plane 6 mill off the whole screed So we hired the dust exstactor with it Hardly any dust 

but makes it a two person job

I normally pay £70 for a day 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nod said:

They only do two versions of the same model 110 and petrol

We normally take the 110 scarifier 

Petrol is a bit funky indoors 

Tgey are really easy to use and can be adjusted to take as little as 2 mil off You can get within 200 mil of comets and edges 

You have to use a grinder in the corners 

Grinders are ok but slow and and you are right down there on your hands a knees with the dust 

We recently tiled a swimming pool and had to plane 6 mill off the whole screed So we hired the dust exstactor with it Hardly any dust 

but makes it a two person job

I normally pay £70 for a day 

Most of what I need to do is within 300mm of a wall/door so it looks like I'm going to be busy with the grinder!

£70 is a good price though - was that a special?

7 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Most of what I need to do is within 300mm of a wall/door so it looks like I'm going to be busy with the grinder!

£70 is a good price though - was that a special?

Get a good respirator