Pete7

Buying building plots with planning permission??

Hi, I'm very new to this and looking for some advice. My partner and I, have decided we want to build our own home and we are currently trying to find a plot with planning permission.

My question is, how much does one have to stick to the approved plans after purchase? How easy is it to make amendments? I imagine a plot with outline PP would give more flexibility?

Most plots I see for sale only have OPP (there are plenty of plots available up here)

If you find one with full PP and want to change it, you would have to submit a new planning application.

We bought ours with a full PP attached for a traditional Edwardian style cottage.  We had no intention of building this, or anything like it, from the outset, so had a pre-application planning advice meeting with the local planning officer to see how receptive he was to what we wanted to build.  Even though he is responsible for a lot of the conservation work in the area, he had no issue with our having a contemporary 2 storey building to replace the existing pre-fab bungalow that was on site.

Once we finally got to the planning permission stage, it went through with no objections and minimal planning conditions.

My plot came with full planning permission and a building warrant, and the old owner had already made a start by putting the foundations in. We wanted to change some of the house externally, for example put bigger windows in the front of the house, but the council weren't happy to treat this as an amendment and said that we would need to put in a new application for PP. They were also making noises about the windows being out of keeping so that spooked us sufficiently that we just built what was approved externally apart from a minor fenestration change that they agreed to, but we changed the layout inside quite a bit to suit how we wanted to use the house. Building control were happy for us to amend the existing building warrant on this basis. If you have a particular style in mind it would be worth approaching a local planning consultant to see how likely it is that the style you want will be approved, or look round the local area to see if there are other houses of a similar style. 

Personally I don't think OPP Vs Full PP makes a lot of difference. They will either be happy with your new proposal or they won't. One with Full PP will give you some idea what they are likely to accept and you might be able to look in the files and see what issues they raised. If they insisted on a particular feature or material they probably will again when considering your application. If it's just got OPP these issues may or may not have been raised yet, but are still likely to come up.

Thabks for the advice, so I imagine from that, it will mostly depend on the local planning officer where we buy?