Build Costs For Attached Garage

soapstar

Hello Folks,

Simple enough question, hopefully! What is the estimated build cost per square metre for an attached double garage? From what I can gather around £1000 per square metre is adequate for the house but surely this is not the same for the garage? Our garage will not be insulated.

Appreciate any help!

33 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I think you will be lucky to build a house for £1000sqm.

I can see why you would say this Lizzie especially in light of your own self build experiences, but I don't think it's as unachievable as your post would suggest.

Myself, I would be happy to be around the £1250sqm mark but there are enough members on here aiming for that magical £1000sqm mark that  it has inspired me to believe that the self build doesn't need to be £1500sqm + as most online estimation calculators would suggest.

That being said, the biggest variable in all this is Labour- materials tend to be a fixed cost within reason, therefore to achieve that figure means getting your hands dirty.  Admittedly not everyone will be either able to or confident enough to do so and that will reflect in their total build cost.  Many ways to.skin a cat and each self builder will tackle the issues in the way that works for them.

Back to the cost of a garage, I'm not au fait enough to suggest a figure but as a point of reference if this was a detached brick double garage I believe you'd be looking at £18k?  So from that you know that it definitely will cost a fair bit less than that....how much so...im not sure!  I'm sure the answer will be forthcoming though.?

Our builder was working on the basis of £800 per square metre for a 6 x 7 m attached rendered garage for us as part of our extension, but, touch wood, he's currently well under budget for the stage he's at according to both our Estimators Online quote and another local builder who quoted build stage costs for us.  He works on a fixed weekly fee and we buy all the materials and pay other trades so he doesn't go over the VAT threshold though so you would have to add VAT.

3 hours ago, soapstar said:

Hello Folks,

Simple enough question, hopefully! What is the estimated build cost per square metre for an attached double garage? From what I can gather around £1000 per square metre is adequate for the house but surely this is not the same for the garage? Our garage will not be insulated.

Appreciate any help!

Lets assume a few things 

5x6m footprint 

2.7m height above ground 

standard footings at 600mm

flat roof

For a 3 sided box in brick only, that’s 48sqm of brickwork, 16m footings, 30sqm floor at 150mm with no insulation or reinforcing. 30sqm flat deck, laid to single fall, 200x50 joists at 400mm centres 18mm OSB2 deck with 2 ply felt hot torched. Standard white steel garage doors and a standard personnel door, strip lights and 4 sockets all run from existing power. 

You should be able to get that outside of the M25 for £10k plus VAT which makes it around £350/sqm 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Lets assume a few things 

5x6m footprint 

2.7m height above ground 

standard footings at 600mm

flat roof

For a 3 sided box in brick only, that’s 48sqm of brickwork, 16m footings, 30sqm floor at 150mm with no insulation or reinforcing. 30sqm flat deck, laid to single fall, 200x50 joists at 400mm centres 18mm OSB2 deck with 2 ply felt hot torched. Standard white steel garage doors and a standard personnel door, strip lights and 4 sockets all run from existing power. 

You should be able to get that outside of the M25 for £10k plus VAT which makes it around £350/sqm 

I’ve built two detached garages on my build I’ve done most of the work myself The materials and much away have cost more than 10k each

our garages have cost £11k each so far.  Ground works done by company; Brickie did brick & block & roofers put actual roof on.  The rest I've done.  We do have a toilet in there which adds cost.  I'd be surprised if you could do it for much less than 10K.

Thanks for all your input guys, helps me out a lot.

To clarify when estimating cost for a build you take the internal gross area (GIA) of the building? And how does an attached garage come into this calculation? Some people say you include it and some say dont, from my perspective this is a living space (no insulated) therefore should not be included? So many questions!! ?

Thanks!

my garage budget is £370/m2 - internal m2 - I've just reached that.  All excl VAT.  I have put on hardwood doors, there's a toilet in there, well insulated & some good quality windows.  Attic trusses & velux windows upstairs and this area is all usable (workshop).  Its a big 2 car garage + a smaller garage (lawnmower etc).  I do have more to spend in there but I'd be surprised if I get to £400/m2.  @PeterW is pretty much spot on I'd say.  I don't think you would save a lot with it being attached.

I suspect most sellers include the garage area in the total internal area - esp if its integrated.  I don't know this for sure - why not ring some estate agents?

The general rule is that estate agents include attached conservatories and other non-living space, such as garages, in their highly optimistic internal area calculations. The better ones will itemise the areas separately.

Their justification is that attached garages have the potential to be converted into living accommodation.

It's sometimes worth looking at the EPC for floor area as it is sometimes more realistic than the estate agents version.