Windows screwed in the wall !

PAR1969

Hi looking for a bit of advice /feedback.  We are renovating a house and work with a project manager.  We selected new windows for our house and they have just been delivered.  Aluminium on the outside and wood on the inside.  I have just been down to see how things are progressing as they are being fitted today and have found that the window fitters (not employed by the window company but hired separately by project manager) and they appear to be screwing the windows into the opening leaving huge holes in the frame which I am being told will be filled and painted over.  It looks awful and I am so shocked it has been done this way.  Came home to where we are living at the moment and have a similar set up and cant see a single screw hole in site on the windows.  Can anyone tell by looking at the photo if this was the only way this could have been done.  Please don't mention that fact that there is a clear glass window in a bathroom (that is another conversation).  TIA for your replies,

bathroom window 2.JPG

bathroom window 1.jpg

This is in my opinion incorrect for this type of window.

They should fit a plate or heavy builders band to the side of the windows, i.e. the side that is hard against the wall, the plate/band sits back about an inch or two into the room, you then offer the window up and then screw the plate/band to the window aperture. This also means when it comes to removing them in the future someone doesn't need to dig out filler. 

Alternatively, can the glazing be removed from these or are they factory fitted and made up? On standard UPVC units you can pop the beads, remove the glass and screw the frame in with the screws then hidden when you refit the glass - likewise with opening windows, you can often screw through the frame and the screws are only visible when the window is open which is not an issue as the open frames of windows are full of latches and levers and screws anyway so another screw won't detract.

Another thing, are the windows in final paint? Or is that just a primer? If that is the finished paint then I would also not be pleased at some monkey rubbing a bit of filler into the holes and trying to match the exact colour and finish which from the image looks to be a sprayed finish, possibly a polyurethane paint which will have excellent durability and a bit of Dulux brilliant white will not look the same ever.

I would NOT accept this and would have the installer replace the windows (at their cost) that they have butchered. It is just a total lack of thought.

Edited by Carrerahill
More info.

This is completely wrong.

We have ideal combi windows that are almost the same as Velfac.

As above they should be fitted using straps.

Velfac will have an installation detail that should be followed to get the guarantee.

Have the installers not taken any notice of this?

I would get your project manager to deal with this immediately.

I know how long it takes to get replacement frames from Denmark.

We had a disaster with our first installers. Had to have windows removed & refitted by ideal combis registered installers.

Took another 6 weeks to get the replacement frames for 2 damaged windows.

They look like RAL pre-finished windows, not ones you slap a coat of Wilko gloss on when you are done. 

What was the MI for the install ..? As per @Carrerahill I would stop them now and get them removed and replaced at either the installers or the PMs cost. Hope he has good PI....

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They look like RAL pre-finished windows, not ones you slap a coat of Wilko gloss on when you are done. 

What was the MI for the install ..? As per @Carrerahill I would stop them now and get them removed and replaced at either the installers or the PMs cost. Hope he has good PI....

That's what it looks like to me, a good sprayed coat of paint - RAL9016 maybe?

It makes me mad that some utter muppet comes along and lazily rams a screw through that nice woodwork! 

I have just read the install Velfac PDF (well quickly looked, i.e. within first pages the install plates are shown!).

Top one is all about the plates, bottom on is general install guide.

https://velfac.co.uk/domestic/technical/download-centre/10426,9679/installation-lug-v200-v200i-v200e-edge---dk

https://velfac.co.uk/download_asset/23188/VELFAC Installation guide 05-2018_web.compressed.pdf

This is how my very similar Rationel Ali clad timber windows are fitted:

window_detail_1.thumb.jpg.d6e1ea54b7e06399b60980da59305a32.jpg

Fixing plates clearly visible.  Print that picture and give it to your muppet project manager, along with the question of how does he propose to correct the holes he has butchered in your windows, at his expense.

7 hours ago, PAR1969 said:

Hi looking for a bit of advice /feedback.  We are renovating a house and work with a project manager.  We selected new windows for our house and they have just been delivered.  Aluminium on the outside and wood on the inside.  I have just been down to see how things are progressing as they are being fitted today and have found that the window fitters (not employed by the window company but hired separately by project manager) and they appear to be screwing the windows into the opening leaving huge holes in the frame which I am being told will be filled and painted over.  It looks awful and I am so shocked it has been done this way.  Came home to where we are living at the moment and have a similar set up and cant see a single screw hole in site on the windows.  Can anyone tell by looking at the photo if this was the only way this could have been done.  Please don't mention that fact that there is a clear glass window in a bathroom (that is another conversation).  TIA for your replies,

bathroom window 2.JPG

bathroom window 1.jpg

I would insist that they replace them

Always use brackets on new work

What ever they do with those holes

You will always see them

Can't see the fitters taking the blame as they have followed the installation detail from Velfac. I think it's a shame that Velfac find it an acceptable method, or should at least say brackets/straps should be used unless there is good reason to screw through the frames :(

I would have gone with brackets in this instance.  I have used direct fix on timber frame with v small internal reveal as straps were not practical unless bent round the corners.  Once the caps are fitted they look fine.  Usually you will have some fixing drawings issued which you sign off.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I would have gone with brackets in this instance.  I have used direct fix on timber frame with v small internal reveal as straps were not practical unless bent round the corners.  Once the caps are fitted they look fine.  Usually you will have some fixing drawings issued which you sign off.

Problem is a lot of the fitters prefer to drive a screw through the frame

fitted all my sash windows on brackets But as with the bifolds They advised me that there fitters didn’t bother with brackets 

It took me over a week to get the brackets for the bifolds tgat I’ve just fitted 

It took me about half an hour to fix all the brackets to the frame 

The fitters would argue that they would have the gram in while I was still messing about with brackets

• Like 1