Resin drive

lizzie

They are both permeable.  Resin bound is mixed with the stone and then poured and is more expensive and longer lasting

Resin bond, the resin is poured first and the stones are scattered on top.

Edited by Hecateh

Its resin bound....25 year guarantee LOL...installer has been in business doing driveways for over 20 years (Obvs not resin that long as its hadn't been invented!). Its an insurance backed guarantee so should be worth the paper.  I wouldn't go for the cheaper version they just scatter aggregate on top of resin and it comes loose and wears off.  Its all permeable SUDS compliant and UV stable so its wont yellow.

Had this done in Jan and it still looks amazing, if a little grubby (need to get the pressure washer out).

What substrate are they using?

My landscaper laid a block boundary (haunched with concrete at rear) and laid about 100-150mm of type 1 and scalpings, compacted in layers.

Resin contractor laid 50mm porous tarmac day one and then 20mm of resin bound gravel. The resin laying was continuous to avoid any joins.

They used a custom circular mixer that looked like a candyfloss machine vs a bell cement mixer - the gavel mix, sand and two part resin were added in batches, mixed and then dropped into a barrow below before being trowelled into place. They sprinkled ground glass on the top to give a little sparkle and additional grip.

As it was Jan, took a day or so to set hard - we couldn't walk on it at all for 24-36 hours.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you @Bitpipe good to hear a review a few months on.  I have steel edging haunched in (contains slate chips over drainage around slab) and my tarmac contractors did the base when they did our road It was done to spec resin people wanted so all resin lot have to do is a one day lay....its a lot of sqm though!  I'm getting the additional grip treatment too.

He said no walking on it for a day and 3-4 days for vehicles.

Got any pics of yours?

Edited by lizzie

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

They are both permeable.  Resin bound is mixed with the stone and then poured and is more expensive and longer lasting

Resin bond, the resin is poured first and the stones are scattered on top.

Just a quick inter web search -

Resin bound surfacing – Stone blend

Resin bound surfaces are created by mixing together aggregates with the resin itself. The completed mixture is then poured onto the base surface, where it is spread and finished with trowels to leave behind a smooth, flat and consistent surface that is water-permeable and slip resistant.

Resin bonded surfacing – Stone top

Also known as the scatter method, resin bonded surfacing is achieved by first applying and spreading a resin mix to the base layer, and then applying the aggregates on top the resin. The scattered aggregates are left to bond with the resin, leaving behind a rougher textured surface that is impermeable to water. Once cured, any loose aggregates which have failed to bond are swept away and removed, to ensure that no loose stones are leftover on the newly finished surface.

Main differences

As you can see from the descriptions above, the main differences between the two techniques come from the method of application, as well as the resulting surface properties.

Resin bound surfacing is water-permeable, while resin bonded surfacing is impermeable. This key difference makes each method suitable for a range of different applications.

• Like 1

We had a resin bound entrance to our drive laid about two and a half years ago. They laid 200mm type 1 then 70mm porous asphalt and a 20mm layer of resin bound. The asphalt has to be left for a minimum of seven days for the oils to come out before the resin bound can be laid. After about a year we had a problem with a small area of the resin bound lifting. They came out and removed the faulty area and relaid. It's been ok since. As it's expensive I am going to cover the rest of the drive with resin bonded to match and I'm hoping to do it myself. Resin bonded is fine for a driveway but scattering onto hot bitumen, a cheaper alternative, doesn't tend to last very long with the chippings coming off.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Mind me asking how much it cost (for a comparison with say tarmac) :ph34r:

7k for the resin. His quote was higher but we did a deal at 7k. I put the base and edging in ready and they did the resin. I had other quotes some cheaper but their work was not as good as this man. I have a 25 year insurance backed guarantee with this installer.

Me I guess but base has been down 4 months and was done by the contractor who laid our 70m tarmac acess road and he liased with resin people on spec so fingers crossed. Tarmac man called in on another matter yesterday while resin was being done they all seemed happy...lets hope it stays that way.

It looks superb. Missus is quite taken with it. We both love the look of "gravel" but not the mess. 

(Our drive is as when we purchased the place. Compacted soil and ash full of nails where the previous owner burnt pallet wood). 

I'd be very interested in the DIY systems.

What's it's resistance to oil like? 

• Thanks 1

@Onoff yes I didnt want the loose gravel, too messy and the drive is on a slope, had enough bock paving to last me a lifetime so this was a good option.  I’m told it it stain resist oile etc will wash off. 

It is a job for someone with good trowel skills as its all hand laid, those men worked fast, 2mixing, one barrowing, 2 on trowels. They didnt stop for more than a few minutes during the whole time. It has to go down as one or you will get joins.

i think there are courses you can go on to learn how to lay it one is here https://www.theresinmill.co.uk/resin-bound-training/ not a recommendation just one site I came across when looking around

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I would update you all on our driveway.......the drive itself is still looking good (keeping everything crossed) however the installers caused a lot of damage to our gates (brand new powder coated aluminium gates ££££'s).

The damage was not apparent for a few days as we couldn't walk on the drive.  They had spilt resin on the gates (some aggrrgate stuck to it too) and then tried to get it off resulting in great smears of stone and resin all over the gates, its a real mess.

Installer brought his own expert to look at it they said it couldn't be removed without damage to the powder coating the only option was gates off and taken away to be completely redone as the resin smears are spread over both sides of both gates its not just one small patch.  Installer said get the quote and I will sort it out its my mistake etc etc.

You know where I am heading now don't you.......quote at £995 plus vat for rectification and installer disappeared off the face of the earth.  This is supposedly a well established family firm from Worcester.........next stop trading standards and local press I think, after 2 years of hell building this house and being ripped off left right and centre this is the last straw.

I don't want to be slipping down the rankings for the most cowboys on one build do I!

• Sad 5

21 minutes ago, vivienz said:

Just when you thought it was all over. You must be the most resilient of people, Lizzie, I think I would have killed someone by now.

Believe me if I can find him I will probably thump him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Vijay said:

small claims court?

he operates as a limited company, we will probably waste a court fee just for the hell of it but chances of getting any money out of it is slim. Far better use of my time is to make sure I tell everyone loudly what he has done and he never gets another job!

• Thanks 1