Quartz worktop joint, is this acceptable?

Triple07

It was templated so I don’t know how they got it so wrong.... but I have no copy of template, but they also didn’t get me to check or sign a template or contract, needless to say I have had no response to email and no answer to my calls.  We had the utility room done too, and no issues there, mainly because it’s just a small run of units, so I recon between the utility and the kitchen island (once we cut out the correct hob size) we won’t have lost anything if we pay no more to them. If we have no reply we will get another company in to re-do the kitchen sink part and worktop either side of it. 

All sinks are supplied with G-clips for fixing into worktops. This is a  credible way of fixing sinks to worktops which are then bonded in with silicone to prevent leaks. HOWEVER, this doesnt work in many scenarios where a 500mm wide sink is fitted in a 600mm wide sink unit leaving no room for fitting clips. Over time this method of fixing has died  away.

A good way fixing is to build a timber cradle set down 1.5mm from the top of the unit and then setting the sink in this cradle in the desired position. The sink is siliconed in as above for water tightness.

On its own a sink can be silconed in and it isnt going anywhere in reality but isnt failsafe and no credible fabricator would do this.

In OP's post what is clear is a missing cradle or use of G Clips been used. Has the sink been fitted using just silicone, Not recommended.

Overall, there appears to be a lot of bodging gone on this job and I would expect them to fit the worktop to an acceptable standard.

Just for reference I can take photos of our upstand and joints tomorrow or Thursday for evidence that the workmanship by your fitters is well below par.

The sink support looks dire, too.  As @ryder72 mentioned, our sink rests on a slightly rebated frame made from 15mm plywood, that is bonded and strongly  fastened to the top of the sink unit, so that the upper surface of the sink flange is very close to being flush with the underside of the stone.  The very shallow rebate in this frame is slightly larger all around, to allow some slight adjustment to get the sink absolutely centred in the cut out in the stone.  Once clear siliconed all around the sink is extremely secure, as the ply frame supports the underside of the sink flange all around, and the silicone sealant adhesive secures and seals the sink flange to the stone work top.

I like the idea of having the sink flange evenly supported all around, just because it ensures there is never any stress on the sealant, no matter how heavily loaded the sink is.  The very last thing I would want is a sink that just isn't evenly supported all around it's edge, and reliant on the strength of the silicone sealant.

Just for reference, its worth highlighting that a cradle can be made from chipboard, MDF or timber. Essentially they all do the same thing. However, the first two options are used relatively infrequently for the same reason as G-clips. If the sink its very large relative to the sink cabinet there isnt much material left to support the sink.

As a rule we use plywood cradles with ceramic or composite sinks and  timber for steel.

It looks great from afar, the £5k was for the kitchen worktops only and two small runs of worktop in utility room (one 1.4m with sink cutout and one straight 2m) and all upstands, odd thing is the utility is fine, almost like the started well then gave up ?

had an email response from the company, asking for photos and stating that they will discuss it at a meeting in the morning.

dont know how they could reasonably resolve it to be honest!

9A2438A7-0F6F-402E-9448-337328605675.jpeg

Edited by Triple07
Photo added

So your kitchen was fitted by a different company and then the worktop guys came along and took a jigsaw to your units and left them like that???

What are you meant to do with the tube of silicone smeared over the unit and the Packers left sticking out.

I wouldn't be paying a penny more till all the damage was repaired and the joints done to your satisfaction.

Yep pretty much @Declan52, Kitchen was fitted by ourselves though, timeserved joiner, and it was a quality job... 

With the exception of a Brickie for decorative stonework, a plumber to install boiler and our sparkie (drew the line at getting zapped), we have done all the work ourselves, this was meant to be a luxury, that someone else was coming in to finish something, to take the pressure off....big mistake

• 2 weeks later...

@AliMcLeod, no it wasn’t resolved from the original company, but I got a new company in that re-templated the larger L shaped part around the sink and fitted a new piece of quartz just beautifully, they also fixed my hob cut out on Island which was 35mm out! 

Looking great now, check the new seams...

98F2D30E-2EFA-42C4-B880-95796E734FCF.jpeg

8A06AC19-7B89-40F6-9ADF-172A3D7CA865.jpeg

1186A307-C976-4B5A-BA6B-318277C8DC3A.jpeg

02A089C9-89B6-4C65-909A-9970A2C4A9B9.jpeg

7 hours ago, Triple07 said:

@AliMcLeod, no it wasn’t resolved from the original company, but I got a new company in that re-templated the larger L shaped part around the sink and fitted a new piece of quartz just beautifully, they also fixed my hob cut out on Island which was 35mm out! 

Looking great now, check the new seams...

I would now be sending company B's bill, to company A

• Thanks 1

Haven’t seen or heard from the old company, recon they have cut their losses and ran! 

The new company’s price for the bit that had to be supplied again and fixing the island was only slightly more than what we had left to pay to the old company so if they do try to ask for more money at least I can counter claim for that...and the new carcasses we had to buy, the worktops were so unsteady we are lucky it was such a sh*t job cosmetically that we checked ?

I can’t express how good the new company were, they fixed the other company’s work on the worktops that weren’t a *too* bad and redone what couldn’t be saved, really went the extra mile... well about 200miles up from Glasgow. Don’t know if we are allowed to recommend companies but Sigma Stone ltd from Glasgow were the excellent company (actual stonemasons with a background in memeorial headstones for many years) 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Triple07 said:

actual stonemasons

We are becoming a rare breed ! Maybe all stonemasons suffer from perfectionism..... makes me feel better. Glad you got it sorted out, it looks way better. Onto the next task......  

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Care to mention who the new company is, as some of us may be looking for a recommendation.

Already mentioned above 

1 hour ago, Triple07 said:

Don’t know if we are allowed to recommend companies but Sigma Stone ltd from Glasgow were the excellent company (actual stonemasons with a background in memeorial headstones for many years) 

• Thanks 1