Noisy metal downpipes

Someone had this issue very recently.... I cant find the the thread sorry.

Was there an answer to the problem? First real rain since we moved in and its like bongo drums. Lucky its not outside the bedroom!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Someone had this issue very recently.... I cant find the the thread sorry.

Was there an answer to the problem? First real rain since we moved in and its like bongo drums. Lucky its not outside the bedroom!

Hmm, bongo drums outside the bedroom.....no, I better not, I'll get as bad a reputation as Onoff!

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Maybe sound deadening mat like they use in cars and under metal kitchen sinks to stop the drumming? Maybe on the back of the downpipes, or are they round? 

big chunky square ones..... huge flow off 250sqm roof into two downpipes. Sounds like a giantic rain chain! 

66E76157-2EA6-4A4D-9706-72D20D3F2981.jpeg

Edited by lizzie

I think you need to track th3 source of the noise eg is it water hitting the far side of the pipe, or some sort of resonance effect.

Then you could decide eg to instead some sort of diverted or absorber at the top eg stuck on sponge or a plastic mesh where the water hits the side of the pipe, or pad the mounts with rubber sheet, or have an extra mount in the middle.

if it It is like bongo drums, then that suggests resonance effects.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What @Nickfromwales should work. 

As an avid Landrover Defender driver in the past you become a master of trying to sound deaden aluminium panels.

Dynamat is black but still has a silver logo printed on it but even thin strips on the back of the pipes should make a big difference. 

Whats really annoying is I’ve recently thrown a whole load of sound deadening off cuts away, sorry :( 

it looks like this (that’s the back of my last Defender)

E914A84D-A74F-4A8B-9A7C-BCF22BFA9FD1.thumb.jpeg.17d07b5f652fc9b0af3669ef062fa2c8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We had this on a job with hidden steel gutters and 110mm downpipes. Quickly solved using lengths of gutter hedgehog fed down the drops and had the benefit of keeping leaves out of the drains too.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PeterW said:

We had this on a job with hidden steel gutters and 110mm downpipes. Quickly solved using lengths of gutter hedgehog fed down the drops and had the benefit of keeping leaves out of the drains too.  

Wow good idea we may be able to do that 

• 1 year later...

Lizzie, did you rectify this in the end?

Ive got sound deadening sheets left over from a pack I bought for our large stainless steel sink. Ive also picked up some rubber washers and plastic washers that might help the echoing around our cavity when it's raining. Unfortunately, I don't think I can stop the water flowing sound in the gutters, the fun of thin aluminium!

Does anyone know if the sound deadening will likely peel off eventually due to weathering or it will stay on long enough to make it worthwhile and a small maintenance upkeep only?

Thanks

James

2 minutes ago, j_s said:

Lizzie, did you rectify this in the end?

Ive got sound deadening sheets left over from a pack I bought for our large stainless steel sink. Ive also picked up some rubber washers and plastic washers that might help the echoing around our cavity when it's raining. Unfortunately, I don't think I can stop the water flowing sound in the gutters, the fun of thin aluminium!

Does anyone know if the sound deadening will likely peel off eventually due to weathering or it will stay on long enough to make it worthwhile and a small maintenance upkeep only?

Thanks

James

I did ....we fed  lengths of gutter hedgehog down the pipes, cured it immediately.  I don't have gutters to worry about as ours are hidden.  If you are my way I have quite a few metres of surplus hedgehog in the garage going spare - can measure if any use to you. 

Thanks for the update. I have some thanks but it has caused more issues due to excessive moss on the roof and can bung up the tops of downpipes etc. I know it's job is to stop debris dropping in to gutters but it doesn't completely. I have a very high roof so it's not something I want to have to keep going up there for to check constantly.

I might try and add some spare lead pieces to the bottom of the downpipes for extra mass for when the water falls/drips