Iresa have ceased trading

Interesting to get an email from Iresa just now telling me that they've ceased trading and are no longer our supplier.  Leaves us in limbo, with no energy supplier. and sod all in terms of useful information from them as to what happens now, other than some vague advice to not switch supplier.

From http://www.iresa.co.uk …

Iresa Limited will be ceasing to trade. Ofgem, the energy regulator, is appointing a new supplier for its customers. 

Customers need not worry, their supplies are secure and credit balances are protected. 

Ofgem's advice is not to switch, but to sit tight and wait until the new supplier has been appointed. This will help make sure that the process of handing customers over to a new supplier, and honouring credit balances, is as hassle free for customers as possible. 

Customers can find support and advice from Ofgem here. Or alternatively if they need additional support they can call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06 or email them via webform, or get in touch through Ofgem’s facebook or twitter feed @ofgem 

I’m a customer and haven’t even been notified. 

Cant say I’m suprised they’ve been hopeless from day 1.

thtats the second time that’s happened to me now, can’t remmebr the name of the last one but it transferred over to co-op.

I've been through all the advice links from Iresa and Ofgem and frankly they are a waste of space.  Apparently we will be automatically be put on a competitively tendered (by Ofgem...) "deemed" contract with a new supplier, over which we have no choice.  Ofgem do warn that the agreement with their "deemed" supplier will be more costly than the contract we had with Iresa, but we have no choice but to accept.  One we have been put on to the new "deemed" contract with the supplier we have no choice at all over, at a higher tariff, we can then switch suppliers, subject to the new "deemed" supplier having settled all the accounts outstanding with Iresa.

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

subject to the new "deemed" supplier having settled all the accounts outstanding with Iresa.

Isn't that just saying that if you were in arrears with Iresa then you can't move to someone else until your debt is cleared?

10 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Isn't that just saying that if you were in arrears with Iresa then you can't move to someone else until your debt is cleared?

It goes both ways, you could be in credit or arrears, but you can't move suppliers until the new "deemed" supplier that Ofgem choose have sorted out the balance to date so that when you then apply to switch there is a known baseline to work from, both in terms of you getting back/paying more to the "deemed" supplier and in getting the energy readings for the switchover day.

• Like 1

I got a letter today from EDF about a price rice, the second in a few weeks.

Generally they were good on price, but not now (though still in business).

Hard knowing what to do as I agree with @Triassic, many of these smaller 'piggybacking' companies are going to go to the wall.

No letter or email received here. I am just back from a few days away and was going to submit my end of month meter reading tomorrow. I guess that is a waste of time then.  Will have to wait and see and depending what we get lumped with, will be looking to switch again.