Leak

lizzie

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The noise is because the water from the dishwasher is hitting the side of the pipe as it rushes in - McAlpine fix this with a redirect flap on the inside so it goes downwards only. 

The noise is worse when its the washing machine which is in the utility room the other side of the wall but he put all utility room waste into this one pipe under kitchen sink. There was a waste in utility but he blocked that off and did it all through the wall....it concerned me at the time but I wasnt consulted and I know nothing about plumbing.

Whereabouts of leak...I think it may be the copper pipe connections.  Its all off on isolators now because I dont want to mess with it and not be able to stop a flood.  The water management had leak detected for a few days before and sent me alerts and switched water off twice but nothing obvious (didnt look under sink DOH) I thought maybe a glitch and didn't investigate thoroughly until Friday morning when there was water on the floor.  That mainly seems to have been from the waste pipe that had fallen apart and pumped waste water out into the cupboard.  The leak seems smaller than the torrent of waste water that led me to the leak if you see what I mean but leak was obviously getting worse over a couple of days and if I had been away from home (or even overnight at the speed it was growing) and without auto cut off on management system would have been nasty. I wont ignore an alert in future!

C2C82CAC-988C-4351-99CE-699166B4C32D.thumb.jpeg.9df96c4c700e21d246fa6353e22d2126.jpegOk so assume the washing machine is straight into a pipe with a low trap on it, through the wall and down into the tee at the bottom ..?? Is it gurgling ..?? Could be pulling air past the trap as it pumps out. 

@lizzie where does the circled pipe go..??

its not clean, it’s got a lot of green on it for a new pipe which may indicate a leak from that elbow at the top. 

@PeterW yes washing machine (and utility sink) comes through the wall and down into the pipe into the floor.

The brass pipe with the corrosion appears to be the cold water which feeds the tap and the dishwasher.  I think that is the leak area as eveything else looks fine.

Is this a cowboy job? Would I be better getting another plumber in to re-do? I dont want to have to take my kitchen cupboards apart to sort this unless there is no alternative:-(

I really don't like the idea of having a power socket underneath all that potentially leaking plumbing.  Whenever I've needed to have power in places like that I stick the outlets as high up as I can, to minimise the risk that a fault in any of the plumbing will spray water on the socket.

All around it looks to be a right old bodge job, which is a bloody shame when you've paid good money and expected a reasonably good standard of work.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I really don't like the idea of having a power socket underneath all that potentially leaking plumbing.  Whenever I've needed to have power in places like that I stick the outlets as high up as I can, to minimise the risk that a fault in any of the plumbing will spray water on the socket.

+1

@JSHarris I dont like socket there either....did query and told I was fussing about nothing. In my previous kitchen sockets under sink were much higher up and clear of plumbing. Is this plumber and elec bodge and is there any way to sort it easily now?

I am confused by this thread.

Your fancy water device turned off the water because it detected a leak.  But your "leak" is from a waste pipe that has come detached, not from a leaking water pipe. That will only leak when you let water down a drain from a sink or from the dishwashter. So why exactly did your water device shut off?  Is there a water leak as well as a drain leak?

The smell is because where the waste has detached, the drain pipe is vented and you are smelling drain smells, normally stopped by the trap.

Although it is dog rough, if you unscrew the compression fitting, and if the seal is not split, carefully ease it over that rough end and re assemble and it should go back together and seal.

@ProDave there are two leaks - one from a pipe and one from a waste. 

And I wouldn’t re-make that waste for my worst enemy - it’s a bin and replace job as someone has hacked off basically the second arm from a twin sink set and lashed it together ... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks @ProDave I have a leak on the copper pipe the device turned the water off after it had detected it.

The waste pipe issue is a separate problem although in the same cupboard. I have tried putting the waste pipe back together it will not hold. I have paper stuffed in the pipe to stop the smells coming up. I have issues with this waste with smells and noise which were there before it fell apart when dishwasher was emptying (I think thats when it was).

My leak is a separate issue and water cut off prevented damage from that.

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

@JSHarris I dont like socket there either....did query and told I was fussing about nothing. In my previous kitchen sockets under sink were much higher up and clear of plumbing. Is this plumber and elec bodge and is there any way to sort it easily now?

It should be easy enough to relocate the socket a bit higher up, if only for peace of mind.  Not a big job, given that there is some refinishing work that needs to be done in that area anyway.  Any competent electrician should be able to do the job in an hour or so, and although you'll probably pay more than it should cost as it's such a relatively quick and easy job.  It looks easy enough to take out the existing back box, extend the ring final with heat shrink sealed crimps, tucked inside a wago box back in the service void/wall cavity, run the extended cables in up to an appleby box higher up the wall and rewire them to the outlet.

If it were me I'd relocate the outlet, just for peace of mind, if nothing else.  I have a healthy respect for keeping water away from electrical systems, borne out of experience with everything from electric shock risk to corrosion induced in electric fittings from being in a potentially damp area.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

. I have paper stuffed in the pipe to stop the smells coming up. I have issues with this waste with smells and noise which were there before it fell apart when dishwasher was emptying (I think thats when it was).

Plastic bag or two (one inside the other) might be a better plug for the smell.?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@ProDave there are two leaks - one from a pipe and one from a waste. 

And I wouldn’t re-make that waste for my worst enemy - it’s a bin and replace job as someone has hacked off basically the second arm from a twin sink set and lashed it together ... 

I agree it is all wrong and needs ripping out and re doing.

But there is a time for doing it right (later on when you can get the original installer to fix it for free)  For now, just putting it back together will stop the smell and let you carry on using things.

UPDATE....another BH triumph.

All sorted. Plumber came yesterday. He changed waste(I muttered McAlpine at him LOL), I now have McAlpine waste and electrician is coming next week to relocate socket.

Thank you superstars!

IMG_1524.JPG

• Like 6