ASHP 101, how does a reversible heat pump work?

@Stones I wonder, what did you decide, or actually do, as a result of your deliberations? I'm interested. What setup will you use or recommend? I thinking about my system to be.

I am pondering having two unconnected ducting systems, one for MVHR and one for an ASHP for heating and cooling. (An electric Sunamp for DHW. I don't have a slab for UFH. No gas or boiler. Passive House.) I have changed my mind 3x times so far and might again :D 

@JSHarris  What size is the unit you bought, and can you post a picture?

@Dreadnaught In the end I decided to see how the house performed without fitting a duct heater / cooler as it would be easy enough to retrofit as a second zone on our pre-plumb ASHP system.  I'm just drafting a blog entry at the moment covering how the system has performed over the course of 12 months.  Should be able to post it later today or tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stones said:

@JSHarris  What size is the unit you bought, and can you post a picture?

I'm just taking a break between house viewings, but will try and take a photo of the heat exchanger core as soon as I get time.  Off the top of my head I think it's around 225mm x 250mm x 40mm active finned area, and has two rows, one behind the other.

8 minutes ago, Stones said:

I'm just drafting a blog entry at the moment covering how the system has performed over the course of 12 months.  Should be able to post it later today or tomorrow morning.

Superb. I look forward to reading that. Every day is a school day.

1 minute ago, Dreadnaught said:

Every day is a school day.

By the way, admins, could this be the official moto of BH? :D Do we have a coat-of-arms? What's that translated into latin? 

Edited by Dreadnaught