How much of a difference does 3g make over 2g?

Juj

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

But the difference there is between brands, rather than glazing.  For example, our aluclad 3G from Munster (same finish and style inside and out as Internorm), was around £8.5k fitted and with cills.  From Internorm it would have cost over £23k fitted with cills.  Admittedly the Internorm internal finish is slightly better, but I can't see any difference in terms of the mane frame extrusions or the handles and hinges.

In terms of performance, the Munster 3G windows are slightly better than the Internorm 3G ones, both had two low e internal panes.  Munster used Saint Gobain Planitherm Argon Gold glazing, not sure what Internorm would have used, but it had to be broadly similar.

As I said above, the prices differences aren't driven by whether the glazing is 2G or 3G, they are driven by other factors in the main.

@JSHarris

How long ago was this? I've just noticed that Munster are based 10-15 minutes away from me! Would you recommend Munster again?

1 hour ago, Juj said:

@JSHarris

How long ago was this? I've just noticed that Munster are based 10-15 minutes away from me! Would you recommend Munster again?

It was 5 years ago.

Munster are a mixed bag.  The performance of their windows is very good, and they are keenly priced.  They are let down by a bloody awful head office, that unless it's changed, can be a PITA to deal with for self-builders.  They are geared up to supply the mass developer market, an area they seem to get a lot of business with, but although self-builders can buy from them they don't make it easy.

The other point is that the finish internally is good, but it's not up to Internorm standards.  It's on a par with all the other mid-range 3G suppliers, but generally Munster have the upper hand when it comes to performance.

Having said that, I'm perhaps a bit overly fussy about the minor issues with the clear pine finish we have on the inside of our aluclad windows, and had we chosen a pre-painted aluclad interior, or used their very good uPVC range, then I doubt I'd have the slightest quibble about quality.

@JSHarris They do a full aluminium profile too which is of interest to me.  I've made contact but they're all on holiday until 7th August! I'd be willing to put up with some PITA for the sake of a few £k saved! lol

@JSHarris and @Juj we tried repeatedly for over 4 months to get a quote out of Munster - their Wellesbourne place is half an hour from me and I had their windows in another house so I knew the product.  They were difficult in the extreme, even via professional project manager they would not give the quote. We sent schedules and drawings and all sorts, nothing doing they only like dealing with developers. Eventually about 2 months after we had ordered our windows from Internorm and fully 7 months since we first contacted them Munster asked for more info to provide a quote.  Way too late by then but I am guessing they had been leaned on to respond to us. I think in years gone by MBC used to get the quotes from them to make it easier for people (lots of Munster windows in earlier MBC houses) but MBC stopped offering that facility by the time we were looking at windows.  

@lizzie Oh dear, it's probably all of the bad reviews they've had from customers putting them off dealing with people directly! Once they open, I might pop down and see if they're better to deal with one on one. Its easier to ignore an email than someone in front of you.

I have their 3g uPVC passiv Windows and have had no issues with them after 4 years. It was actually doing a search for reviews of this type of window that lead me to find ebuild and I think it was @JSHarris that I first asked questions of about his.

They are a massive outfit in Ireland and serve nearly all the big builders so a small self build job isn't high on their priority list. The main issues here would be through the fitting of their Windows. They don't hang about when doing them. 

All you can do is get a price and visit a showroom and then compare them with other companies and pick a winner. It might take quite a few phone calls to get that far but it might save you a fair bit of money. They have a network of sales reps so it's this guy you need to be on at constantly  not the office staff.

26 minutes ago, Juj said:

@lizzie Oh dear, it's probably all of the bad reviews they've had from customers putting them off dealing with people directly! Once they open, I might pop down and see if they're better to deal with one on one. Its easier to ignore an email than someone in front of you.

Good luck....they wont take an order at Wellesbourne as far as I know all has to go via head office in Ireland.

Edited by lizzie

@Juj if you are Warwks area then these  people form Coventry may be worth a look. My friend used them after the original company she booked with  via her builder went bust with her 10k paid and not recoverable so she had to look at keen pricing having lost all that.  Have seen her windows RAL7106 upvc windows doors and bifolds. They look ok to me been in 3 years no issues.

http://www.foldandslide.co.uk/index.html