Ordering POSIs: how accurately do they need to be measured

ToughButterCup

Roof on (ish) need to think about the flat roof and first floor now. Each is supported by metal web joists, POSIs in our case : MiTek.

In measuring their length to assemble an order, how accurate do the measurements have to be? To within 5 mm?

Its just that our wall is pretty wavy if you know what I mean (Don't ask, it just is ?

46 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Roof on (ish) need to think about the flat roof and first floor now. Each is supported by metal web joists, POSIs in our case : MiTek.

In measuring their length to assemble an order, how accurate do the measurements have to be? To within 5 mm?

Its just that our wall is pretty wavy if you know what I mean (Don't ask, it just is ?

The supplier measures ... they are non-standard units if they are metal web so the supplier should come out and do a site survey and then design to that - they then come with a numbered fitting schedule and a design.  

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The supplier measures ... they are non-standard units if they are metal web so the supplier should come out and do a site survey and then design to that - they then come with a numbered fitting schedule and a design.  

Right then Pete. I'll tell 'em.....

" My mate Pete, missin' a few teeth, needs a new nose and comes up from the Smoke (know what I mean; nod's as good as wink to a blind self-builder) , says you have ter come aert 'n measure up like.... "

That'll put the wind up them.

Up to now (Minera and Cheshire Floor Joists) have said - very politely - to measure it myself. Hence the concern about accuracy

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

[...]

How are you fitting them ..? Face fix to a ring beam..?

Yes.

In the words of the architect  '.... installed to Mi-Tek standard details and instructions ... ' whatever that means.

I have the MiTek Posi Joist manual (PS8 TR26 - whassat?) and frankly it might as well be written in Aramaic..... But, I'll get there.

6 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Add 200 mil on and cut to size on site 

Much easier 

If you send your drawing to Pasquils at Chorley

they normally offer to do this

Crendon did the measuring themselves on mine but it didnt prove entirely trustworthy so i'm glad i went for trimmable ends.  Try to make all trims from the same end so your webs remain in line.  On that note also try to discourage them from introducing a range of supporting methods, as that will also throw off the webs and potentially close the continuous service channels that are such a benefit.

7 hours ago, mvincentd said:

Crendon did the measuring themselves on mine but it didnt prove entirely trustworthy so i'm glad i went for trimmable ends.  Try to make all trims from the same end so your webs remain in line.  On that note also try to discourage them from introducing a range of supporting methods, as that will also throw off the webs and potentially close the continuous service channels that are such a benefit.

Thanks everyone. 

@mvincentd, what does ' ... a range of supporting methods ... ' mean? The point you make about continuous service channels is important to us because the POSI spec allows only a couple of mm clearance for the MVHR piping.....

33 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

@mvincentd, what does ' ... a range of supporting methods ... ' mean?

Imagine a blockwork inner leaf broken by a steel goalpost structure surrounding the opening for sliding doors. So mines made a tad awkward by faceted wall faces but it still demonstrates.....top pic shows combination of pozi bearing onto blockwork and alongside pozi in hangers on timber packer in the steel. (Just for fun add a steel coming off the goalpost parallel with poi's).  The different bearing approach has altered the length of pozi and therefore shifted the webs.  You then get picture 2 for your mvhr!  For me this was my best positional option for the hole....nobody could calculate it in advance of placing the pozi's, ruling out a neat plasma cut circle in factory so it came down to an angle grinder in-situ.  Picture 3 shows another instance of different build methods meeting causing a change in pozi hanging method (rc wall continued as blockwork).

pozi_misalign_system.jpg

Sorry guys but I disagree about trimming these on site... let me explain why...!!

The structural strength in the floor is made up of three components, the joists, the deck and the strongbacks. The strongbacks are either one or two large section timbers that run down the centre of the joists or at pre-determined points through the webs. They attach to blocks that are fitted between the upper and lower chords so they have to be in line or the strongback will not fit...! It must be nailed to the blocks as it stops the twisting moment in the floor joists and creates a "strong back" through the middle of the webs.

You also need to work a method of adding the strongback into the joists as 6x2 doesn't tend to bend round corners nicely...

16 minutes ago, PeterW said:

they have to be in line or the strongback will not fit...! It must be nailed to the blocks

If trimming is restricted to one consistent end only then the block line will not alter.

This is one reason I prefer finnjoists (osb webb) they can be cut to any length as long as they are specced for the longest length and cutting holes in the Webb is easy (as long as they are in the right place and right dimensions.

• Thanks 1