Resolving untraceable, uncapped water supply pipe

Ferdinand

I have a strange situation in a shop that has been in the family for a century - a small shop in the middle of a terrace of similar.

There is a former outside toilet, and a supply pipe that comes out of the ground to where the cistern used to be. The shop is on a meter (inside) and this supply pipe is  not on my side of the meter.

When there was a burst some years ago, we talked to all the neighbours and closed off all 4 underground stop taps at the corners of the block of streets, and the pipe was still running. So my plumber simply crimped the end and left it.

I would like to get this thing properly capped, but I have no idea where the supply actually comes from.

How do I deal with this? Phone call to the water company and explain?

Cheers

Ferdinand

If the valve was closed and the end crimped, why bother any further. If it’s stuck out oic the ground and in the way you could dig down and crimp it off lower.

Edited by Triassic
Alto cottrect error

I recently had to get my water supply traced as it wasn't where anyone expected it to be. The chap from Wessex Water came out within a week of ringing for an appointment. He got all his tracing gear out, pushed a very long wire thingy through the MDPE and we found the supply to be running through the field. I haven't had a bill for any of this. That said, it's easier to trace the supply through an open field than a built up area.

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Doubt that STW will be bothered as a water pipe within a property boundary is deemed to be the owners responsibility. 

Probably true but the water company have a statutary duty to provide you with a stop cock at which point their responsibility stops. This may be adjacent to the meter or some way away. Our neighbours had this same problem and they called the water company and just asked them to turn off the water supply. The water company spent several days trying to find the stop cock and could not find one anywhere in the line from the main so they had to provide one so that our neighbour could cut their supply to work on it without cutting the rest of us off.

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Triassic said:

If the valve was closed and the end crimped, why bother any further. If it’s stuck ou5 if the ground and n the way you could devastate g down and crimp it off lower.

There is no valve. Just a pipe coming out of the ground that vanishes under next door.

Thanks all. Will call the supplier.

F

Edited by Ferdinand