A week ago I brought a new level to make leveling the total station a simpler affair. Today I got it out of the case and the bubble was gone. I can see no damage to the case so I20180721_184826.thumb.jpg.94c84026e499e65ac0cd90697c40c9f4.jpg20180721_184826.thumb.jpg.94c84026e499e65ac0cd90697c40c9f4.jpg am now on the trail of the thief, any clues?

Pic - look no bubble!

First off, that level is nowhere near accurate enough to level a total station, you want one that can level to within far better than 1 deg, ideally one that can level to a few arc-seconds if you're looking to make measurements over any sort of reasonable range.

As for where the bubble's gone, then I suspect it's been dissolved in the fluid.  Try cooling it down and see if it comes out of solution.  Having said that, I'd still not use a level like that for anything better that levelling an orienteering compass...

Have you tried turning it over? :ph34r:

Send someone to buy a new one.  It happens all the time, I'm told :ph34r:

You could download an app and sit the phone on the level...

33 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

First off, that level is nowhere near accurate enough to level a total station, you want one that can level to within far better than 1 deg, ideally one that can level to a few arc-seconds if you're looking to make measurements over any sort of reasonable range

Sorry Jeremy. I use a bubble level to get the tripod within the adjust ment range of the TS leveling system no to set up the TS itself. It would, as you say, be useless for setting up the station.

It's in the fridge as we speak. 

While you are at the shop getting a new bubble, ask for a long weight, and a tin of elbow grease while you are there.

That looks like a deckchair day indicator.

Or perhaps it is a highly targeted bubble. Did it go out of warranty last week?

47 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Only if it is a Crapple one.

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Only if it is a Crapple one.

@newhome has a cistern full of them! :)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

You b'strd......?

Well just as an update the 'thing' as I shall call it for want of a better word, it ain't a bubble level, has been in the fridge all night and it has not been visited by the bubble fairy. I shall revert to using my old cross bubble system until the suppliers have sent me a new bubble. Indeed, as  bit of fun, I will write to them and ask for a new bubble and see what they send me. Naturally I cannot return the old bubble as I have no idea where it is. 

• Haha 2

You joke but as an apprentice, after making our spirit levels we would be sent to the local engineering merchants in Erith to buy the 'bubble' for them like it was the most normal thing in the world. In fact the liquid filled glass / plastic tube. Same when I made my knurling took I had to buy the knurling wheels. I've still got the knurling tool somewhere.

13 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

A week ago I brought a new level to make leveling the total station a simpler affair. Today I got it out of the case and the bubble was gone. I can see no damage to the case so I20180721_184826.thumb.jpg.94c84026e499e65ac0cd90697c40c9f4.jpg20180721_184826.thumb.jpg.94c84026e499e65ac0cd90697c40c9f4.jpg am now on the trail of the thief, any clues?

Pic - look no bubble!

You can actually buy bubbles for notalot:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Highly-Accurate-Round-Turntable-Spirit-Bubble-Level-60mm-Diameter/874187491?iid=322065156124&chn=ps

And glue.

Though you will need to match the size.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that idea, @Ferdinand, I broke the glass on my nice long cast iron engineers level a few years ago and have been hunting around trying to find a new one for it.  I didn't think to look on ebay...  The tube that holds the bubble on my level is adjustable relative to the big cast iron base, so it should be easy enough to calibrate it after fitting a new bubble vial.  Just a matter of finding one the right size and resolution.

• Thanks 1

Not easy finding a 90mm long, 15mm diameter, hi-res vial.  The level is a Rabone Chesterman 12" cast iron engineers level, essentially absolutely identical to the Starrett (I suspect Rabone Chesterman and Starrett may be connected somehow, as I can'r see the difference between them, other than my Rabone Chesterman is clearly stamped "Made in England").

23 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Not easy finding a 90mm long, 15mm diameter, hi-res vial.  The level is a Rabone Chesterman 12" cast iron engineers level, essentially absolutely identical to the Starrett (I suspect Rabone Chesterman and Starrett may be connected somehow, as I can'r see the difference between them, other than my Rabone Chesterman is clearly stamped "Made in England").

Not impossible just bloody expensive!

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starrett-Level-Replacement-Vial-PT15024-for-98-12-98-18-Levels-/282815738579?

• Thanks 1

Well found!  I've been searching for at least and hour to no avail.  I found a UK supplier but the price was well over £40 plus VAT and delivery, so that looks cheaper.  Bearing in mind that a new 12" Starrett/Rabone Chesterman level is around £150 or more and the price for the vial doesn't look so steep.  I have found a complete second hand level that's identical to mine, except it doesn't seem to come with the wooden storage case, for £48 here: http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/shop/rabone-12-engineers-precision-level-80205536/  which has me wondering if it's not better to just buy that and keep my old one for spares.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thanks, another good find, but still £35 plus shipping and import charges, so the first link looks marginally cheaper.  Given the fragility of these things I'm surprised they aren't easier to buy here as spares - they seem easy to buy in the US.

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Thanks, another good find, but still £35 plus shipping and import charges, so the first link looks marginally cheaper.  Given the fragility of these things I'm surprised they aren't easier to buy here as spares - they seem easy to buy in the US.

Didn't mean to post that as a similar price but I've had a beer and was sleepy! Wrote it but thought I HADN'T posted it! :)

I CAN find lots of 70mm long, 11mm dia vials...

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I CAN find lots of 70mm long, 11mm dia vials...

Me too, it seems that 90mm x 15mm diameter ones are like hen's teeth...