Soil contamination survey.

So bco have sent through their thoughts on our building regs submission 

one item they picked up on was

(Provide suitable gas protection measures due to landfill )

so my thoughts would be to replace the standard damp proof membrane with a radon type barrier, 

would this satisfy them or can they insist we have a survey carried out to determine if there is any gas in the soil. 

What is the likelihood of any nasty gasses being present in soil that had been put in place in 1947. 

Cheers russ. 

What has got them worried about gas??? Was it mentioned on the building regs submission. Will most of the fill not be stripped away on the section where the house will be??

Any site investigations I done for gas you could usually smell of there was something there as soon as you broke ground. Once you got to the water table then you could see it as well in some cases.

Around here is a radon area so that type of membrane is in most cases standard practice. I don't think it cost that much more than good quality polythene anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

(Provide suitable gas protection measures due to landfill )

[...]

Because of something that happened  over 70 years ago?

In that context  ... suitable  gas protection measures ...  means  ?  I have a strong suspicion that all you need to do is have a report written by a competent person to the effect that the likelihood of gas being present is close to zero.

At this stage all that means is a Desk Study. Not too expensive.

• Like 1