Cistern help please

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

It is worth a price on the check of the entire mechanism. If one thing has worn out, so might another piece.

The last leakyloo problem I had, we just replaced the entire mechanism for very little money.

I have to say that's been my standard approach ever since cisterns switched to using plastic fill valves.  Back in the days of brass ball cocks I'd have happily just replaced a washer, knowing that nothing else was likely to go wrong for years, but these sliding float plastic fill valves seem so damned flimsy that I'd not trust another part to fail not long after repairing one.

As an aside, if you want an absolutely bomb proof, super reliable, tank or cistern float valve, and aren't particularly constrained for space (although these things are tiny) then I can recommend these: Abertax valve which are available from BES  They are brilliant, as they operate magnetically and have no external float to catch on anything.  The only downside is that the fill level cannot be adjusted, it's fixed by the installation height of the valve.  Ideal for hard to get at F&E tanks, though.  Internally they work just like a servo assisted solenoid valve, with the magnet in the float operating the servo diaphragm through the plastic wall of the housing,.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I still can't get the damn flush thing out but I could nuke it if I had a new one I guess :)

Miraculously I managed to find the email they sent when we ordered the cisterns and they say AG1378 so I'm thinking it's probably this one? @PeterW

http://www.toiletspares.co.uk/ag1378-flush-valve.html

I have a sneaking suspicion that the flush valve leaks a little too as the water starts to trickle out into the bowl before it has even refilled. So a trickle possibly caused by the seal not being 100% on the flush, followed by a gush as the fill valve doesn't stop the water and it starts to gush out. That's my non educated guess anyway. 

Is the fill valve that @JSHarris posted the one I need?  Or this one (but the end is metal instead of plastic)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monaco-Universal-Cistern-30956510-Thread/dp/B00Y3PE5FY/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1532184641&sr=1-1&keywords=siamp+95l

The one they list in ToiletSpares is this one but it says 'new type' and doesn't look quite the same:

http://www.toiletspares.co.uk/ag1378-inlet-valve.html

@lizzie I've drawn a blank trying to get any damn plumber out here so have been forced into desperate measures hence trying it myself. There are other jobs here that I definitely can't do however so have to keep trying to get someone to come, and not a cock plumber which is the worry ... 

And @Ferdinand it wouldn't have been so much 'fun' had I been told just to replace the bits to start with, and I now have some knowledge of how the damn things work that I didn't have before yesterday so it's all good. I have another educational piece still to come trying to reassemble it all and getting the flush working properly so that may need more voddy I imagine :) Will try the one upstairs first. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thanks all. I still can't get the damn flush thing out but I could nuke it if I had a new one I guess :)

Miraculously I managed to find the email they sent when we ordered the cisterns and they say AG1378 so I'm thinking it's probably this one? @PeterW

I have a sneaking suspicion that the flush valve leaks a little too as the water starts to trickle out into the bowl before it has even refilled. So a trickle possibly caused by the seal not being 100% on the flush, followed by a gush as the fill valve doesn't stop the water and it starts to gush out. That's my non educated guess anyway. 

Is the fill valve that @JSHarris posted the one I need?  Or this one (but the end is metal instead of plastic)?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Monaco-Universal-Cistern-30956510-Thread/dp/B00Y3PE5FY/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1532184641&sr=1-1&keywords=siamp+95l

The one they list in ToiletSpares is this one but it says 'new type' and doesn't look quite the same:

http://www.toiletspares.co.uk/ag1378-inlet-valve.html

@lizzie I've drawn a blank trying to get any damn plumber out here so have been forced into desperate measures hence trying it myself. There are other jobs here that I definitely can't do however so have to keep trying to get someone to come, and not a cock plumber which is the worry ... 

And @Ferdinand it wouldn't have been so much 'fun' had I been told just to replace the bits to start with, and I now have some knowledge of how the damn things work that I didn't have before yesterday so it's all good. I have another educational piece still to come trying to reassemble it all and getting the flush working properly so that may need more voddy I imagine :) Will try the one upstairs first. 

I'm near-100% certain that the fill valve you need is the Siamp 95L, shouldn't matter if it's the all-plastic one or the one with the brass insert.  I'm also pretty certain that the AG1378 flush valve is the right one, but I'm not at all convinced that the AG1378 inlet valve is the right one at all - I've been caught out with the float catching on something internally by fitting a similar, but not quite the same, fill valve before now (I think twice, as I'm sure there are two new ones that don't fit anything we have up in the loft)

• Thanks 1

At least on the internet you get to send it back.

After all my palaver last week about my replacement basket strainer for my sink, and ordering the part from the Franke recommended spares place, I *still* ended up with the wrong one. This week I'll be hawking the other one around spares places to find one that matches :-).

F

The new bits arrived today so I thought I would have a go at fitting them however the flush valve looks different. The one on the left is the new one, and the one on the right the old one. The old one looked the same as the one on their website but that’s not what has turned up. 

D4C409D8-E538-4BC5-B801-F0AE9FAAAA41.thumb.jpeg.4dd7124f0111ccd713efbb856641a1ee.jpeg

Here is the one I ordered. 

I’ve emailed them. Why is it that everything takes longer than planned ?

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Why is it that everything takes longer than planned

First thing I was taught when I did my project management training was allow 6 hours a day and 4 days a week for the actual work, the extra day/hours were for things that didn’t go to plan.

17 minutes ago, joe90 said:

First thing I was taught when I did my project management training was allow 6 hours a day and 4 days a week for the actual work, the extra day/hours were for things that didn’t go to plan.

Lol, yes a contingency is fairly standard but I thought I'd estimated enough elapsed time giving the whole of this week for the bits to turn up (inlet arrived Thurs, flush valves today) but wasn't reckoning on them being the wrong thing :(. I know they are going to say that it's the same thing but the top is different but I do think the website should show what they are going to send. I got the second one out and whilst it looks the same the mechanism does feel the same as the old one. The one I got out earlier doesn't pull up and drop down the same. I reckon it's fubar TBH. 

2 hours ago, newhome said:

The new bits arrived today so I thought I would have a go at fitting them however the flush valve looks different. The one on the left is the new one, and the one on the right the old one. The old one looked the same as the one on their website but that’s not what has turned up. 

D4C409D8-E538-4BC5-B801-F0AE9FAAAA41.thumb.jpeg.4dd7124f0111ccd713efbb856641a1ee.jpeg

Here is the one I ordered. 

I’ve emailed them. Why is it that everything takes longer than planned ?

Rotate the top bit clockwise slightly and it will come off and the two will look the same ...

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Rotate the top bit clockwise slightly and it will come off and the two will look the same ...

Thanks! He just emailed back and said this: 

“The new one has the basket on the wrong end, we pack them like that to fit them in the box. Pull the basket off the top with the black rubber on and it should look exactly the same as your original. You will need to pull out you existing basket, put the new one on the new valve by twisting it in to place and fit the whole lot”

How the hell was I supposed to know that? How do you know that? Cos it’s obvious? :S

What does ‘pull out the basket’ mean? There’s another bit to remove? Where the hell is that? 

• Confused 1

Progress of sorts. Flush valve is fitted and seems to be working ok. The second one I bought doesn’t seem right though. 

The top bit that lifts to cause the flush is supposed to sit right down on the main unit like so. 

4DBC32E8-28B3-4DA1-BB29-4248D015B9F5.thumb.jpeg.691066081ed24b025a59599cea4e0f92.jpeg

There is a groove that it slides down as here 

2C1F1904-1EF2-4246-9EB7-E4063495FA81.thumb.jpeg.e83e11206667b4b903d8fe60a3871d96.jpeg

That one is the one I’ve fitted and seems ok. 

The other one doesn’t sit flush with the main unit like so. 

A3E9297F-53EE-4EE2-89FC-80C4156DCF03.thumb.jpeg.6a3a2ed463b45ac11d629aeca087b842.jpeg

And there is no groove for it to slide down. 

3AC5B9DB-EF0E-4D61-A2DA-3C43FB67D5DF.thumb.jpeg.97f86531ad419f94f49b381fe8648ed9.jpeg

It only slides down if I twist it 90 degrees but the flush plate won’t ioerate it like that. Not sure if I should be twisting it somehow but can’t see how. 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You’ve put the funny black bit in at 90 degrees out ... (bit that was on top of the new flush when it came)

That’s not fitted though. That bit goes right on the bottom :S

Here it is with that bit fitted. When it’s facing the right direction it doesn’t go down to make the seal.

3D68D261-44D7-4A0B-B333-61729A2E5A04.thumb.jpeg.4761582ff89aca343a01b7fb5f8f138f.jpeg

It only goes down if I twist it 90 degrees and it clearly won’t work like that. 

283DB63C-3EFE-4803-A18D-E09A9E8737A1.thumb.jpeg.f2361ce0dbafc5102a2ba0602e0ae931.jpeg

I also tried fitting the inlet valve. I had to change the 1/2” fitting to the 3/8” fitting. The good news is that it stops filling immediately when it reaches the right lever. The not so good news is that it leaks where it connects to the pipe. Both sides where the arrows are. Do I need washers or something? 

7A8650E6-4FA6-4592-97E3-390BDD444149.thumb.jpeg.526316b278b3492928edd419ff2727ba.jpeg

87C8C470-8D29-4D25-A0A5-06A538EBC116.thumb.jpeg.c15b35978725b6a0a78f1a0343513ad2.jpeg

It also doesn’t sit right into the bracket as it’s a different shape so will have to cable tie it on or something. 

13 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Need a new one then ... 

Aye, but being thick and not knowing what size to get should I just go for something like this? Will a washer stop the water leaking from both sides of the connector?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fixman-961227-Assorted-Washers-120-Piece/dp/B01LSCUZS0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1532812374&sr=8-6&keywords=washer+pack