Windows delayed - what can we do whilst not watertight?

Our MBC frame starts going up on Monday (yippee).  But just found out that our windows will be delayed (until mid September).  We plan to get the roof on but can't render / clad until the windows are in.  What else do you suggest we do whilst we wait?  Is it silly to start on any internals (MVHR / first fix elec and plumbing?) whilst everything is still open (and not secure - although we are living on site there isn't someone here all the time)?

Our windows were hugely delayed and we were building through the wettest summer last year. They were putting 1st fix stuff in with water pouring through the roof boards and then we had black mould growing on the frame after we weatherproofed the window gaps. It was heartbreaking and horrendous as because of the slab problems we had lakes of water inside.  Once the window gaps were weatherproofed with plastic it created  a humid greenhouse effect with water still coming through the roof, collecting on the slab and then we had to get dehumidifiers in to try and dry the place out.  I used to go almost every day and sweep out the huge amounts of water that collected in the big dips on the slab. I cried every day for weeks and was in despair at the utter mess of it all. Never mind the worry of all that expensive stuff going in a wet insecure building.  The MVHR unit was fitted and shrouded in plastic to protect it. Shudder when I think about it. It seems complete madness now.

For the window weatherproofing our carpenter  made wooden frames to fit the window gaps and then nailed on heavy duty polythene. He was the superstar in the complete shambles. He was a one man band trying to get the roof trusses on at the time too.

Concentrate on your roof first and take it from there. This dry weather cant last...can it.....the worry of all the mvhr etc being in an insecure building.....insurance wont cover you. We were lucky not to have any real damage or any nasty visitors - I would wait til it was dry and secure  if I had to do it again. Can you do some landscaping or drainage instead of 1st fix. As you say you cant render or clad fully without windows in.

Edited by lizzie

First fix the plastic plumbing and the electrics and MVHR ducts.  Do some carpentry - plasterboard noggins etc.  Fix fascias and gutter and fit temporary downpipes.  Properly secure the site to prevent unauthorised access.

• Like 2

Our windows were delayed too - in fact we just fitted last-but-one skylight yesterday :) We put in MVHR ducting, first fix plumbing, toilet frames, UF manifolds... 

We actually didn't have too much water coming in, so it wasn't madly stressful. We also clad the areas of the building with no windows in. I would bear in mind that when the window company say september, it is unlikely to actually be september and it could easily verge into oct/nov when the weather could potentially be really awful, so .... 

• 4 years later...

Due to unforeseen delays we are now looking a 8 weeks (over winter) between kit erection and windows being installed. Rooflights will however go in fairly quickly (as soon as we can get roof battened out). Provided we get some form of weathertight barrier on windows and doors (wrapped plywood fixed to frame) is there anything we shouldn't do from the following: internal insulation, service voids, first fix plumbing and electrics, MVHR install, UFH pipework, potentially also boarding and screeding if we get that far? Easier to stick a temporary door in for access?