Bioethanol stoves

So my other half has wanted  a focal point in our family room since we started this self Build lark, maybe a wood burning stoves of some kind, something good looking and expensive! Me all I want is to get rid of such a daft idea. 

Anyway, whilst looking on Houzz or some such, she’s come across bioethsnol stoves, a quick search reveals they don’t  need a chimney, which is good, but she’s suggesting the one she’s interested in is a couple of grand. Can’t I build my own using a £130 steainkess steel bioethonol container and a nice peice of stone etc? 

Has as anyone got such a burner and what do they think of them?

Edited by Triassic

I think we have discussed this before somewhere........

I have one lurking somewhere. Bought it to use in a (new) log burner at a previous place because I cant have real wood burning for health reasons.

It worked okish. It did give off a slight smell but I am super sensitive so someone else may not notice it.

I thought it quite expensive both to buy and use.  Eventually I will get round to using up all the bottles of fuel I still have, probably use it outside in a chimea or something.  For inside at this house I am going for the optimist water/electric, no fumes, flames or hassle.

If I were you I would buy a stainless steel unit as they come with a cover to kill flames etc.  You can put it into any setting/surround you choose.

It may affect the MVHR as it does need oxygen, Im no expert on flames and air mvhr....no doubt someone can advise.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the other discussions, very interesting.

the one thing my wife highlighted was that the bioethanol fire she looked at had flames of differing heights, giving a more realistic effect?

I'm thinking of one of these. Price vary and can get quite expensive, found some around the 1K mark that seem ok. Videos don't excite me regarding the flame but as a unit for the corner of my living room it'll do. They give out about 5 candles worth of heat and shouldn't tax the ventilation levels. Getting cheap bioethanol locally for me is an issue, Government here killed it off a few years back. I can import in bulk to get around that. Didn't think there would be a smell though, good to know. 

Like the water based one my mum has, might look into those. Let us know what you decide! 

Guest Alphonsox

We discussed this in some detail back in January. The Bioethanol doesn't smell - It's the additives they put in it to stop you drinking it that smell when burned.