Hello from southern Scotland

Square Feet

Hey all,

I am new here so just saying hello.  I am currently looking at a plot in southern Scotland with the hope of building a passive type house sometime in the near future.  I have a few specific questions about the plot I have found which I will try to post in the correct place later.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks guys.  I have had a look but I can't find an obvious thread to ask my questions so here goes....

I am looking at a plot that has restricted access.  It would be accessed via a narrow one-way street in a small town.  I have been told that the street is too small for the bin lorry or fire engine to be able to turn into.  The main problem is that access is via a 3m wide lane that turns at sharp right angles into the street where the plot is sited.  This street is 6.5m maximum width (without parked cars, bins etc).  Obviously it would not be possible to build a kit house on this plot as a low-loader couldn't get near it, but I didn't want to do that anyway!  I suspect that any materials would need to be double-handled to reach the site.

My question is more that I am unsure what kind of plant would be able to access the site - is there anywhere that I can see the width and turning circle requirements for different types of plant?  Have any of you faced such difficulties in the past and if so do you have any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

First question ... got a plot layout or street plan..??

If materials in is an issue (assuming it has PP at this point) what is the gradient etc for getting services in and out..? Sounds like a candidate for a sewage pump irrespective of the need for it for falls etc. 

A kit house does not have to arrive on a low loader and need a crane.

Ours was built by a local firm of builders in their steading nearby, and brought to site a few panels at a time on a tri axle 3 ton trailer behind one of their vans.

Concrete delivery is the one that is likely to be an issue. Park the concrete lorry in the wider road and bring it in in a dumper truck? or mix on site?

Thanks all.  

No, craning over other properties is not an option I'm afraid.

Yes it has PP, but not for what I want to build so I will need to make a new application.  It is all flat so no issues with fall for drainage etc.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - the narrow road is the first that you come to when you turn off the main road, the wider road comes after.  The main issue is the right angle turn from the 3m lane into the 6.5m street that the plot sits on - there is no pavement or other wiggle room as the walls of the adjacent buildings are right on the street.   If the vehicle delivering the materials was less than 3m wide then it could park across the T junction and a tele-loader or similar could take the materials off and trundle them up the 6.5m street to the plot, but it would require neighbours to park elsewhere and so on so it couldn't be done every day or without some pre-planning.

That is interesting re your kit house Dave, thanks for that.  Do you happen to know the maximum distance for piping concrete?  It might be possible to bring it from the next street over but distance-dependent.  Failing that it would need to be mixed on site, yes.

I am meeting an architect on site next week who I can discuss some of this with, but practical advice from those who have faced these sort of issues is always valuable.  I haven't discussed price with the seller yet either so obviously all these sort of potential difficulties, while challenging to work through, might help to keep the price down.

Also have to think about neighbours.  There may be available parking off site but are they willing to use it.

Mine didn't want me building - always wanted to go out - or in - when deliveries were being made.  Phoning the council every week about obstructions etc etc.  Not insurmountable but very unpleasant and some may be even worse than mine

Edited by Hecateh
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Square Feet said:

Thanks guys.  I have had a look but I can't find an obvious thread to ask my questions so here goes....

I am looking at a plot that has restricted access.  It would be accessed via a narrow one-way street in a small town.  I have been told that the street is too small for the bin lorry or fire engine to be able to turn into.  The main problem is that access is via a 3m wide lane that turns at sharp right angles into the street where the plot is sited.  This street is 6.5m maximum width (without parked cars, bins etc).  Obviously it would not be possible to build a kit house on this plot as a low-loader couldn't get near it, but I didn't want to do that anyway!  I suspect that any materials would need to be double-handled to reach the site.

My question is more that I am unsure what kind of plant would be able to access the site - is there anywhere that I can see the width and turning circle requirements for different types of plant?  Have any of you faced such difficulties in the past and if so do you have any advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Welcome.

I think your best answer to the q in para 3 is to go and talk to the most local hire firm, if you have one ?, because they will know the streets and give a better rounded answer, perhaps from experience of jamming a Scammell in there in 197x.

If it gets closer, then it will be worth looking therough the LPA planning records for a similar restricted access site, and perhaps even talking to them about what they did.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

Welcome to THE forum. Fascinating project challenges. On the concrete issue you can pump it quite a long way on ground based pipes which might help. What is the ariel view like is there possible access via other properties that surround you from a road they are on?

Worth looking at some of the low impact build techniques such as screw piling so you remove the need for concrete and heavy materials in the first place. 

Small Telehandlers  such as the Merlo units are great - they will be able to work on a tight plot and are surprisingly powerful. 

Lots of solution opportunities (rather than challenges.....!)

Thanks again folks.  

Yes I would rather keep the use of concrete to a minimum, but it might be necessary though.  I found an answer to my own question of 'how far can concrete be pumped' on this page.

https://www.easymixconcrete.com/resource-centre/concrete-pumping-faqs/

Just mentioning it in case it helps anyone else.  To save you the bother of clicking, it says this:

How far can a concrete pump hose reach?

All pump lines are made of interconnected metal pipes and flexible hosing. We can add additional pipes to extend the reach of our pumps. Please be sure to call the EasyMix team to discuss your individual job requirements.

A ground line pump can reach over 150 meters, with possible extensions if required.

A boom pump can extend up to 72 meters. with possible extensions if required.