Durisol Training

Hello All,

I have had the chance to attend a training at Durisol (Warrington). This was a very pleasant experience together with gaining very useful tricks and knowledge through group discussion as well as some practical training. 

I would welcome if members on the forum who have used the Durisol for their build share their experiences. Pros and cons of using Durisol compared to other ICF.

Some initial thoughts:

1. No propping needed (I am a bit sceptical about this).

2. Wet plaster can be used inside so no need to board. Has anyone done this?

3. Because there is gap between the blocks how is the air tightness achieved?

4. As the blocks are breathable, how to stop water ingress? Render outside? What maintenance will be needed? If brick slips then will the moisture penetrate? 

5. Hanging TV etc inside the house? I was told these can be hanged straight to the wall.

6. How the services voids are created. Easy to achieve?

Cost comparison if anyone done with other ICF.

Thanks,

Shah. 

7 minutes ago, jack said:

I'm assuming you've read through Ian's (@recoveringacademic) saga with his Durisol construction and high winds?

Yes I had a look through the thread! At the training they recommended only support to the corners and windows, door etc but nothing for straight walls for as high as 2.5 meters which I thought would need perfect conditions. From experience I know in building perfect conditions rarely happen....

It probably depends on where you are in the country, your local geographical conditions, and being lucky enough not to get a serious storm through before the concrete's poured.

• 1 month later...

I attended their training course today and was impressed.

All the questions in the original post are answered in detail and it is the most diy friendly of any building system I’ve seen. 

Definitley worth a look for those on a tight budget who want to get hands on.