Do I need to plaster my new build

Triassic

Shock Horror! we've just been watching one of those building programmes and when it came to plastering they didn't! They used the taper edge boards and just filled along the edges and the screw hole. I'm thinking if I took this approach It would save a wet trade, loads of time and mess.

To plaster or not to plaster - Thoughts?

32 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Shock Horror! we've just been watching one of those building programmes and when it came to plastering they didn't! They used the taper edge boards and just filled along the edges and the screw hole. I'm thinking if I took this approach It would save a wet trade, loads of time and mess.

To plaster or not to plaster - Thoughts?

It wouldn’t save time 

or mess Lots of dust

Many of the new house builders lead by wimpy moved over to a taped finish

Some still do 

Edited by nod
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Oh no you need to plaster, even when you Ames tape you see it forever!

Im afraid I disagree, I think it depends on the quality of your tapers and their finish 

you can get a level 3 finish which is fairly standard or a level five finish that will make your skimmed wall look positively rough

i have had perfect skimmed walls that still require lots of fine surface filler and sanding. 

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Im afraid I disagree, I think it depends on the quality of your tapers and their finish 

you can get a level 3 finish which is fairly standard or a level five finish that will make your skimmed wall look positively rough

i have had perfect skimmed walls that still require lots of fine surface filler and sanding. 

I’ve done both on a daily basis for the past thirty five years 

Skiming is a far better job

Skimed walls should need no filling

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I also disagree, taped and filled PB is office style on a good day. 

You try sanding back on a PB wall and you hit paper. You knock a PB wall and you hit paper. 

You BREATHE next to a PB wall and.....

With skim you get a layer which is infinitely harder wearing, can be filled and sanding without instantly lifting fibres, and can absorb all the undulations that boarding, taping and filling simply cannot ever do. 

Ive been around both long enough to give an informative perspective. 

Plaster if you want a home, tape if it's an office. When the sun hits a taped wall you can even spot where the studs are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Skimed walls should need no filling

Amen, brother Nod. 

The last time I had a spread do a single set over PVA I had them come back and sand it back. Looked shit.

Two sets over PVA or get back in your van.

I use a spread with arms like a lobster. You can hear the sound off the blade when the final 'rub' is being done. Nothing better. 

Sheet 'o glass. 

• Like 2

The problem we have with taping is any crest or bump on the wall will show 

With skim you can feather off inperfections 

A point I’ve made before was prefill all joints casings and beads Two tight coats Three passes with a STEEL float No wet angles

its a myth that you need to fill after mist coating. You certainly shouldn’t see lines of easy-fill

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ultramods said:

eek, we have just budgeted for Ames taping. What is a typical cost PSM for skimming a new build?

Cost for labour is the same 

If the taping is done correctly 

And painted with a gyprock slurry 

two coats Material cost is more 

Last house was tape and fill, almost the normal up here. Screw heads pop, and some taped joints the tape started lifting after a few years, needed some rework. Also some boards were not perfect with ripples visible on the untaped bits in some light conditions.

So this time we have had it skimmed, now we have found a good plasterer who is as rare as rocking horse ...... up here.

At this time of year, a plaster skim is dry in 2 days and painted in 4.

22 minutes ago, ultramods said:

eek, we have just budgeted for Ames taping. What is a typical cost PSM for skimming a new build?

The lads that work for me I pay them £3.25 per sq mtr labour only

Which equates to about £200 a day 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, willbish said:

You could consider a clay plaster to save on the decorating... I just had a quote from Clay Works, 226m2 material only £9063 ?

I do marble plastering 

very exspensive But looks beautiful 

Real grand designs 

Though my wife didn’t want it on our build

14 minutes ago, willbish said:

Have you had a go at Tadelakt? I like that Moroccan look for bathrooms but wonder how water repellent it really is. Again too expensive I reckon

No not come across that one 

Yes @Triassic you should skim.......tape is for low end spec builds. We did tape joints not skim in the garage and thats ok for there but I would never have it in the house.

You will spend many years looking at those walls, you dont want daily reminders of a bad decision. Save the pennies elsewhere and get a good plasterer in.

• Like 1

Generally, yes, IMO.

Unless there is a specific different finish you want eg ply or bricks or concrete.

Or if you are using a different wallboard to pb. Isn’t there one @PeterW always talks about that takes heavier loads but which has its own finishing product? I think it is Fermacell, which I keep turning into batteries or angel hair pasta in my head.

Ferdinand

Yes Skim for definite, which does seem to become less common- any trades that have been on site have expressed shock and awe that my place is skimmed and not taped.

funnily enough I was in a rather plush hotel in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and noticed, whilst lieing in bed that my room had been taped when decorated. looked crap.

Fermacell is not for the faint hearted as it’s a very different product to plasterboard. 

The green PB in @Onoff photos is moisture resistant PB, bit more expensive than normal PB but great for kitchens and bathrooms. Still needs a skim though.