Aluminium windows

Triassic

We’ve been looking at windows for the new house, initially we looked at timber with Ali clad exteriors, but the company she chose don’t do a full measure and installation service, so they got binned off.

However the she was out and about on Saturday and saw some Aluminium Windows, I’m assuming these will be thermally broken, which she liked a lot. Unfortunately there was no name on the windows I’ve no idea who manufactured them.

Has anyone got aluminium windows installed, what do you think of them, who are the manufacturers, do they offer a full measure and nstallation service, would you recommend them, are there any drawbacks in all Ali windows?

6 hours ago, Triassic said:

Why are all the window company showrooms down south!?

Probably because the people who need showrooms are people like us, and more than half of self-build .. and probably the half with the more expensive windows .. are south of Watford.

See eg http://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06784/SN06784.pdf Which says 51% of U.K. self-build is in the South East, South West Or London in the period 2014 to 2018. Add in the East and the Home Counties and it is overwhelming.

We do have a couple of major locally grown £100m window companies near here - Alfreton (30m South of Sheffield) but they are not the well known high end brands -  Eurocell and Synseal. Am not sure whether they have showrooms at the headquarters or how much of turnover is actually doors and windows. Eurocell are heavily into profiles. Synseal started with I think conservatories and slightly risqué girly adverts in Building Design in the 1970s. I do not know either company intimately - perhaps @PeterW has more detailed info.

And to some of us that is still South.

??

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

And to some of us that is still South

When I first moved here someone told me they were going down south for their holidays. When I asked where they said The Lake District ?

3 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

And to some of us that is still South.

1 hour ago, newhome said:

When I first moved here someone told me they were going down south for their holidays. When I asked where they said The Lake District

You lot don't know what South is.

lizard point.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 18/07/2018 at 20:30, Simplysimon said:
On 18/07/2018 at 08:53, SteamyTea said:

You lot don't know what South is.

lizard point.jpg

could be anywhere! apart from the west coast of scotland, we've at least got scenery when looking out to sea.

That view is bang tidy!!!

• Like 1

I have aluminium windows. Express bifold (based on smart systems) fitted (not very well) about three quarters of our windows. These are all double glazed 4-20-4 with planitherm 1.0 glass. Frames get cold to the touch and will get condensation if you have too much water vapour in the house. The rest of the windows are Warmcore (made by synseal). Triple glazed 4-18-4-18-4, and a better thermal break. Cool to the touch still but less so than the express bifolds. I would say the Warmcore are a bit rough around the edges when you look at the profiles but a reasonable window. Still pricey though for what they are

• 5 weeks later...

What J_s said.  Cold to touch and we get condensation on one corner post as the corner bifold needed a steel post for support and that caused a bit of a cold bridge.  We used duration windows who were really responsive with quoting etc and really good value (especially if you get a trade account set up which we did as we had a company).  We installed them ourselves but they also do install.  They are still South though (sorry).