I need to order some footing blocks, what types?

epsilonGreedy

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have you actually priced up - or checked availability of Celcon HS Foundation Blocks ..??

H+H Celcon HI-7 Aerated Concrete Block 440mm x 215mm x 300mm 7.3N Pack 30

£6.17 EA

Not yet, I was first trying to ascertain what the technical options are.

From other posts above I get the impression that the Stowel foundation blocks arrive at a painful cost. The manufacturer has probably identified a market niche for those who want trench block convenience but none of that bubble filled rubbish and priced accordingly.

I am coming to the conclusion I may as well get a large drop of regular dense concrete blocks on site because whatever the final detail of the footing blockwork they will end up in the beam & block floor. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

23 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have you actually priced up - or checked availability of Celcon HS Foundation Blocks ..??

H+H Celcon HI-7 Aerated Concrete Block 440mm x 215mm x 300mm 7.3N Pack 30

£6.17 EA

Availabilty - to order (2-4 weeks)

That’s straight off my trade pricing  page with one of the big BMs 

Solid Dense 7.3N Concrete Block 100mm Pack 100

£0.87 EA

Availabilty - in stock

So that’s available on site on Thursday. 

Pays your money, takes your choice. 

£6.17 a block!! Are you English mad in the head to even consider paying that. Don't even think about paying that kind of silly money for something that you will bury in the ground and never see again.

If you can't source the 300mm block mentioned above just buy in bog standard 7n 440*215*100mm block. Build them 315mm wide. That will be two blocks on their flat and another on it's edge beside it. 

The 300mm block are used because they are handy to throw about and lay and will have very little waste. If you can't get them then do as above.

11 hours ago, Declan52 said:

If you can't source the 300mm block mentioned above just buy in bog standard 7n 440*215*100mm block. Build them 315mm wide. That will be two blocks on their flat and another on it's edge beside it. 

I am coming around to your thinking here but double checking the maths...

3 x £0.87 + 3 x £1.10 (labour) + mortar for three blocks = About the same as a fancy Celcon trench block. Is my costing correct?

17 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I am coming around to your thinking here but double checking the maths...

3 x £0.87 + 3 x £1.10 (labour) + mortar for three blocks = About the same as a fancy Celcon trench block. Is my costing correct?

Not in my book it’s not

whats the £1.10 labour is that per block, if that’s the case I’m going to dust of my trowel

ive got 660 blocks in my footings and will be expecting it to take under a day with 2 of us. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Not in my book it’s not

whats the £1.10 labour is that per block, if that’s the case I’m going to dust of my trowel

Yes per block.

I got an estimate for my house from damp to wall plate, 50p per facing brick and £1.30 per block. In the foundation calc I discounted the per block rate to reflect no wall ties and the lower quality if finish below ground. Conversely there is leveling out and laying 18kg blocks at ankle height cannot be fun after the first 20.

54 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

ive got 660 blocks in my footings and will be expecting it to take under a day with 2 of us.

A search here indicates 200 to 300 blocks a day for a 1+1 team.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

I have to say that,so long as the quality is decent,you will have had an absolute result on those prices. 

I see posts on social media for jobs in the North East,North West & even Scotland exceeding those rates,and that’s from a Subbie who’s taking a cut and would be with forklift/crane on site with silo mortar & horizontal loading only (I.e. no ladder work.)

On 17/07/2018 at 07:28, Russell griffiths said:

Can you not lay one flat and one stood upright to make up your width. 

And @dpmiller& @Declan52

I have dry assembled the following footing block build up that is the best equivalent of my building control diagram shown in the first post.

Is my 3-block substitution for the trench block similar to what you are intending/have done?

The buff/red brick boundary represents the average external ground level around the perimeter of the house.

IMG_2559.JPG

6 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

And @dpmiller& @Declan52

I have dry assembled the following footing block build up that is the best equivalent of my building control diagram shown in the first post.

Is my 3-block substitution for the trench block similar to what you are intending/have done?

The buff/red brick boundary represents the average external ground level around the perimeter of the house.

IMG_2559.JPG

Yeah the 3 blocks when built will look like that

Is there a specific reason for building 2 course of brick under what I assume is your beams??

External DPC to internal FFL will be a challenge based on that as you've got a minimum of 195mm to add to your build up internally.

I'd drop the first outside block on flat and come up again with a block.

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

External DPC to internal FFL will be a challenge based on that as you've got a minimum of 195mm to add to your build up internally.

Will the beams not be 150mm so if they are sitting on the top of them 2 courses of concrete bricks they will match the outside first 2 red bricks.

If you build a soap bar, see link below, between the beams then you can start of with your blocks on the inside. Put the dpc on top of the first course of block and on the out side skin it will be on top of another brick in the pic.

The blue lines would be the dpc with an extra layer under the beams.

DrawOnPhoto_1532014396516.thumb.png.6732a05d198423dfca3b6035a2db26b2.png

https://stowellconcrete.co.uk/concrete-soap-bar-blocks/

The 150mm high blocks.

Edited by Declan52
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Agree @Declan52 but wouldn’t that put DPC 375mm above ground level so either you have to do a depression in it to get doors in, or some pretty big ramps to meet Part M..!

Take the 2 course of brick out then it's only 225mm.

7 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Yeah the 3 blocks when built will look like that

Is there a specific reason for building 2 course of brick under what I assume is your beams??

In the photo the two courses of inner wall bricks are supporting the edge block of the horizontal floor. The beams would be running parallel with the portion of the footing wall shown, the diagram I posted with the opening thread post show the position and height of the first beam in from the wall. (Edit: My building advisor who is a trad solid floor man did wonder if beam/floor flex might move this first edge block and thus cause it to leverage the block wall above.).

The block heights of the adjacent wall supporting the beam ends is more interesting. If a beam protrudes 55mm below into the void then instead of two regular 65mm coursing raising 150mm to the first horizontal floor block there is now a 95mm gap to the bottom of the beam, I guess this is where those 40mm coursing slips are used.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

I must be overlooking something here, would 120mm of insulation + 75mm of screed make the FFL up perfectly?

195mm is pretty much the minimum but working from your comment about the buff bricks, you have 5 courses to DPC which is 375mm. Given the threshold on doors is usually set at DPC then you have a significant step down inside of nearly 180mm with your current build up. 

This needs drawing out properly - what’s on your AT plans..?

6 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Will the beams not be 150mm so if they are sitting on the top of them 2 courses of concrete bricks they will match the outside first 2 red bricks.

If you build a soap bar, see link below, between the beams then you can start of with your blocks on the inside. Put the dpc on top of the first course of block and on the out side skin it will be on top of another brick in the pic.

The blue lines would be the dpc with an extra layer under the beams.

DrawOnPhoto_1532014396516.thumb.png.6732a05d198423dfca3b6035a2db26b2.png

https://stowellconcrete.co.uk/concrete-soap-bar-blocks/

The 150mm high blocks.

Soapbar blocks = a top tip. Thankyou.

I think I will build up an extra wall section for the adjacent wall supporting the beams to save confusion. I could go all the way and include a demo beam offcut of say 500mm if I could pick up an offcut somewhere.

I had been thinking that the dpc shown on my original BC diagram could not prevent damp raising into the floor infill blocks.

You could also start of with a course of soap bars and then you put your dpc on top of these then build away in block. This would bring your height down a further 75mm so your dpc would be under the brick I expertly drew in!!

In your pic what red brick do you reckon will be your height of your pathway around your house.

The beams sit on dpc so stops damp getting to the beams.

What depth of insulation and concrete is going on top of the beams.

Edited by Declan52