Vent-axia broken extractor-fan

Good morning fellow hubbers, so I fitted the above mentioned fan about 4 - 5 years ago and it’s been busy working ever since. Admittedly I have not serviced it by way of giving it a good clean and as just reward for my lack of TLC it’s been slowly getting filled with crud and has now stopped working. The problem was that while doing some work in the roof space I knocked the unit and the crud inside the duct fell down into the working fan, Blocked it and then it stopped fan. I assume by the look of it that something on the circuit board has burnt out due to the jammed fan. My question is.

1. Is this repairable ? 

2. If so how ? 

This is very much a working house with kids, volunteers and the family traipsing in and out all the time, the fan is the only main extract and is set to an overrun of 20 min so it’s on a lot of the time, the huge build up of crud is not surprising and lack of maintenance is why this has happened, I put my hands up.  

Thanks for any help. 

Col 

3223150A-A592-458F-B414-9EFC90569ACF.jpeg

2C0FFD53-74A2-45A5-9725-21429CC64955.jpeg

Guest Alphonsox
20 minutes ago, Cpd said:

Good morning fellow hubbers, so I fitted the above mentioned fan about 4 - 5 years ago and it’s been busy working ever since. Admittedly I have not serviced it by way of giving it a good clean and as just reward for my lack of TLC it’s been slowly getting filled with crud and has now stopped working. The problem was that while doing some work in the roof space I knocked the unit and the crud inside the duct fell down into the working fan, Blocked it and then it stopped fan. I assume by the look of it that something on the circuit board has burnt out due to the jammed fan. My question is.

1. Is this repairable ? 

2. If so how ? 

This is very much a working house with kids, volunteers and the family traipsing in and out all the time, the fan is the only main extract and is set to an overrun of 20 min so it’s on a lot of the time, the huge build up of crud is not surprising and lack of maintenance is why this has happened, I put my hands up.  

Thanks for any help. 

Col 

3223150A-A592-458F-B414-9EFC90569ACF.jpeg

2C0FFD53-74A2-45A5-9725-21429CC64955.jpeg

Are you certain its the driver board rather than the fan coil ? A quick check with a voltmeter should let you check the board (Are you getting a voltage at the business end ?). Testing the resistance of the coil will tell you whether it's still intact. Vent-Axia sell spares for a lot of their parts, worth checking what a replacement board would cost.

Is this just a standard 100mm fan?

Why not replace it with a brand new one, Vent Axia Centra Lo-Carbon is the one i've used, you can pick them up on ebay for around £50, will be a lot quieter than that old one, and use less power, plus its also a dMEV so will give continuous trickle extract ventilation.

32 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Why not replace it with a brand new one, Vent Axia Centra Lo-Carbon is the one i've used, you can pick them up on ebay for around £50, will be a lot quieter than that old one, and use less power, plus its also a dMEV so will give continuous trickle extract ventilation.

Man that sounds like a good idea, have been fecking around with a multi meter for an hour but this is all above my pay grade, it’s a very loud fan right next to a bedroom and would not be missed. I really don’t have the time to try and learn how to repair this at this time..... will just go for the straight swap to the one you mentioned and put this one in a box for a winters night. 

Thanks for saving me, was just starting to feel my bile rising when I shorted the multi meter across the circuit board terminals and got blinded by the flash bumped my head and fell of the ladder........ 

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

C2, the electrolytic capacitor, is the top visibly domed?

C2 Is perfectly flat 

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That big resistor; brown/brown/brown is it on the colour bands? If so then it's 2200 Ohms aka 2.2KOhms. 

I am sorry bud but that’s another language to me......  

there was power to both ends of the circuit board but no power at the 2 section terminal that had the red and black wires going to the funny black box, I am a barbarian when it comes to electronics...... 

172455A2-90DD-4BC6-AD05-B27D3D863C7D.jpeg

4F61D45D-D4B2-473A-9079-C410D9D2F085.jpeg

1 hour ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Is this just a standard 100mm fan?

Why not replace it with a brand new one, Vent Axia Centra Lo-Carbon

Its an in-line fan just goes straight up from above the shower into the unit that’s mounted just above the ceiling and out the roof  

something like this one

2CE092CE-8DD2-4658-A90D-66BEEF574C81.jpeg

Edited by Cpd

Guest Alphonsox

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerful-Inline-Loft-Extractor-Fan-4-100mm-made-by-Vent-Axia-Black/401391020024?hash=item5d74c4e7f8%3Ag%3AKOEAAOSwwE5WUxle&_sacat=0&_nkw=vent+axia+in-line&_from=R40&rt=nc

Thats the cheapest 100mm in-line fan by vent axia i can find on ebay.

My be worth changing for a centra though if you can change the ducting pipe for a longer one, should be a better overall experience.