Which ASHP are set up to cool

11 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

From the "£300" quote was from the wholesaler, Midsummer Wholesale in this case.

Somebody, either Midsummer or Vaillant is making a huge profit on these!  Try calling https://www.seconrenewables.com/ or Vaillant directly.  Yes €30 in europe, not immedialty available though.  https://www.heima24.de/heizung/vaillant-kodierwiderstand-zum-aktivieren-der-kuehlfunktion-arotherm-split-plus-0020269259.html

2 hours ago, Luke1 said:

I've kept both at the minimum 3C. Because the heat pump only runs for 10-15 mins at a time I thought that it would run at its lowest modulation for longer (and more efficiently) if the delta was lower.

I have no idea if my logic is correct though!

Strange. Mine has run constantly for the last 15 hours. Was maintaining a 4 deg dT between flow and return which is about right given avg outdoor temp is 32 degs, but would not reach the set temp of 15 degrees. Maybe just too much heat to extract.

in the heating settings it has the differential set to 10 degs dT. 

5 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Thanks Dan. Speaking to Midsummer about paying £300 for a resistor that costs pennies, they initially suggested an R32 Samsung unit instead, which has cooling enabled straight from the box. But Samsung's equivalent of the UnitTower (called Climatehub (!) is pricier so all-in-all there was not much saving to be had. And the Samsung heat pump is noisier too. 

Given the saving on the resistor I checked heima24 for the price of the Arotherm Plus itself and UniTower. I would have no qualms about importing it from Germany rather than locally within rip-off-Britain. To my surprise, the German list price was rather more than my UK quotes. 

Just now, Dreadnaught said:

Thanks Dan. Speaking to Midsummer about paying £300 for a resistor that costs pennies, they initially suggested an R32 Samsung unit instead, which has cooling enabled straight from the box. But Samsung's equivalent of the UnitTower (called Climatehub (!) is pricier so all-in-all there was not much saving to be had. And the Samsung heat pump is noisier too. 

Given the saving on the resistor I checked heima24 for the price of the Arotherm Plus itself and UniTower. I would have no qualms about importing it from Germany rather than locally within rip-off-Britain. To my surprise, the German list price was rather more than my UK quotes. 

What about NIBE? Ours has the function built in which you then turn on in the controller 

Hey @Dan F, you could get your multimeter out and test the resistance of your one for us. You could sell the information to each of us for £250 a head and we'd all still make a profit after we've spent less than a £1 on materials 😄 

(Joking).

Edited by Dreadnaught

7 minutes ago, john0wingnut said:

Only have the SMO20. What are the benefits of the SMO40

I couldn't really say, other than it the latest. Supposedly web/API enabled but it appears to be only for Nibe as there is zero documentation. 

1 hour ago, Dreadnaught said:

Hey @Dan F, you could get your multimeter out and test the resistance of your one for us. You could sell the information to each of us for £250 a head and we'd all still make a profit after we've spent less than a £1 on materials 😄 

I've got it out of ASHP, but unluckily my multimeter battery is dead and don't have any spare PP3 batteries at home. 😞

It looks like this, with same code on the side.  If you dig around on the internet it looks like Vaillant may sell this under different part numbers at different prices (cheeky if true).  As searching for "20112219" brings up a different part number: 0020266328.  This part is is a blue coding plug which looks like it may be available for £5!

image.png.05bcc4ba586dfba2bcb1fdf6981bc108.png

Edited by Dan F

8 minutes ago, Dan F said:

It looks like this, with same code on the side.  If you dig around on the internet it looks like Vaillant may sell this under different part numbers at different prices (cheeky if true).  As searching for "20112219" brings up a different part number: 0020266328.  This part is is a blue coding plug which looks like it may be available for £5!

Yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps they are the same item, and with that part number it is for Vaillant's gas boilers. Or perhaps they used the wrong stock photo on the internet page. At just £5 it could certainly be worth a try!

Because it's just two connections it's virtually guaranteed to be a dumb resistor. If it is just a resistor then it's borderline criminal. If it was a 'smart' dongle, like a secure microcontroller (e.g. a satellite viewing card) that'd be a bit different. But not much.

19 minutes ago, Radian said:

Because it's just two connections it's virtually guaranteed to be a dumb resistor. If it is just a resistor then it's borderline criminal. If it was a 'smart' dongle, like a secure microcontroller (e.g. a satellite viewing card) that'd be a bit different. But not much.

It is.  Resistor is worth 5p, connector is worth 10p.  Might have to put an order in with RS and set up an ebay shop 🙂

Looks like 4-bands in which case: brown (1), brown (1), red multiplier (2), black tolerance = 1100 Ohms but black as tolerance is not right? If it was grey it'd be a ridiculous 0.05%

The Other way round makes no sense either. Have I forgotten how to read old-school resistors? 😕

Edited by Radian

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I made it brown, brown, red, black, gold, = 112 ohm 5%  https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-resistor-color-code

It seems a very odd value?

Can we have a macro shot of just the resistor please square on to see the colour bands better?

I was deliberately hiding the band somewhat so noone beat me to it selling DIY versions on ebay 😉

Nah.  I read it as yellow-black-red-brown-brown. i.e. 4.02kΩ ±1%. 

image.png.a5ff4cc4b9f35c04d591c6d39df1c1ad.png

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1