Master Ensuite Layout

We had a lot of 'fun' configuring the kids back to back bathrooms (one with shower, one with bath) and our own ensuite - plans went slightly awry when soil pipes needed to be taken into consideration. Plumber was also adamant that we couldn't fit a bath, shower, wc, double sink and towel rad in our ensuite but we managed and it looks great, not at all cluttered.

Plumber was also concerned about back to back wall hanging WCs with one causing a splash back in the other if they were too tightly coupled. We ended up off-setting them slightly and needed to build out the wall in one room by 100mm so ensure space for the fittings. TBH you seem to have plenty of space so should not be an issue.

Pocket sliding doors are great for bathrooms and walk in wardrobes, just make sure you allow the necessary gap and height in the TF design as the runner eats some space. Obv you need to ensure that there are no services needing the space where the door will go when in the wall - this is easy done as until your joiner fits the sliding door system post 1st fix,  its just and empty void.

• Thanks 1

I think this is a good plan for the House.

The only things that I would slightly question are now the need for all those bifolds on the N side (expensive, but it looks like a decision you have considered carefully) and perhaps the size of the garage, which seems very tight.

F

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I think this is a good plan for the House.

The only things that I would slightly question are now the need for all those bifolds on the N side (expensive, but it looks like a decision you have considered carefully) and perhaps the size of the garage, which seems very tight.

F

The sliding doors are all on the south west elevation. Only one pane slides in each of the four doors. 

All our glazing has come to £18k

do you think the garage is too small at 6x6m?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Looking good. Where are your soil pipes running, and do you want the loos back to back?

Be VERY careful with your plumbing if you put them back to back. Search the forum for "swap contents"

• Haha 1

Back to back them but swap them right to left so one WC is before the other. 

Make the wall 200 wide but make it from H frames with the 4x2 on edge and join them with OSB gussets. Soil goes down the middle with 45 branches angled out to introduce the “contents” and the basins provide additional flow. 

Showers  under the floor in 50mm to hit the stack further down. 

13 hours ago, ultramods said:

do you think the garage is too small at 6x6m?

In my opinion it is very tight depending on what else you intend to put in there. Cars are getting bigger, and in my local authority 6mx6m is the absolute minimum size they consider to be a "double garage", and that guideline is from nearly 10 years ago. I have attached the  2014 guidance doc for your perusal. The bit you want is section 4, particularly 4.10.

There have been conversations on BH before, and we all as ever have slightly different opinions, but I would say think about your needs in terms of storage, garden tools / furniture, and machinery, workspace etc. Do you have "bike store" and "bin store" requirements that can be covered by making it slightly bigger?

In your case there looks to be space to squeak a bit more in front to back depth and up to a couple of m in width, but start with requirements and potential requirements, and different ways of meeting them.

It is also worth thinking carefully about storage in the roof, whether hooks, a mezzanine, or a future upstairs workshop or studio (could save you needing a garden building later). One of my hobbyhorses for those is a damn great covered hole in the floor so heavy or bulky stuff can be moved in with a block and tackle (but nobody else agrees on that point!).

One thing that some recommend here is a steel security door between the garage and house. There are inexpensive suppliers of these.

It is really a question of just thinking it all through carefully.

Glass price seems OK.

F

residential-car-parking-standards-supplementary-planning-document-and-consultation-statement-cabinet-6th-nov-2014.pdf

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

One thing that some recommend here is a steel security door between the garage and house. There are inexpensive suppliers of these.

\

Remember this need to be '30 minute Fire Rated' if it is attached to the house and you need a level change between the house /garage or a slope out of the garage door (fuel spill run away)

14 hours ago, ultramods said:

All our glazing has come to £18k

Did you get the frame company to come down in the end or did you organise the supply? From memory they weren’t wanting to budge from a figure a bit higher than than? 

3 hours ago, newhome said:

Did you get the frame company to come down in the end or did you organise the supply? From memory they weren’t wanting to budge from a figure a bit higher than than? 

I have gone to a different company for the windows and Rationel wouldn't budge.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 15/07/2018 at 21:29, Nickfromwales said:

Get the boiler and the cylinder up the attic ;) The only person to see that ever again is your service agent. 

IMG_0009.thumb.JPG.22ed8ed406482484fe96c635c6a86e75.JPGIMG_0005.thumb.JPG.c596287baa8850e27a0fa674d9f646fc.JPGIMG_0010.thumb.JPG.b24d9ea10065c1cea4535d8161947038.JPG

Earn some brownie points with the extra storage of not having the plant in valuable living space. 

@Nickfromwales looks impressive, but didn’t you need to leave more space above the cylinder for removing/servicing the heating element? I’m looking at a horizontal Telford Tempest which requires 11 inches clearance above it for that purpose.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I’m looking at a horizontal Telford Tempest which requires 11 inches clearance above it for that purpose.

Not for that one as the immersions are both left snd right hand loaded. They slide out horizontally which is in-keeping with the whole idea of a cylinder being installed in a reduced height compartment!

I’ve not seen one with a top loaded immersion as that’s probably the worst possible place for it, what with heat rising etc. Do you have a link to the one you refer to?

778C0C8F-95F8-447C-9DDC-D1EDF11E72CF.jpeg.d15393c4e593db1f0f3a192d8d0ccc1a.jpeg

Edited by Nickfromwales

Well, shut my mouth :S 

924F204A-29A4-4EE2-B65C-1C5DE672B2EA.thumb.jpeg.21cdf34cab8ddfa18be9b4a278007ecb.jpeg

Why on earth have they done that ?!? ?‍♂️

Email Trevor@cyliners2go and ask if they can relocate the immersion perhaps? Bespoke cylinders aren’t an issue with him usually. 

Edited by Nickfromwales

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Well, shut my mouth :S 

924F204A-29A4-4EE2-B65C-1C5DE672B2EA.thumb.jpeg.21cdf34cab8ddfa18be9b4a278007ecb.jpeg

Why on earth have they done that ?!? ?‍♂️

Email Trevor@cyliners2go and ask if they can relocate the immersion perhaps? Bespoke cylinders aren’t an issue with him usually. 

Thanks @Nickfromwales. I can only guess that the reason they've put them on top is that that way the immersion heater can be removed for servicing/replacement without having to drain the cylinder. Is it a pain to drain the cylinder when you service one like the one you've photographed? What does the annual service actually involve?