Master Ensuite Layout

The size of our master ensuite is fixed at 5190mm x 3000mm, as is the entrance door position fixed.

The freestanding bath will be 1800mm X 870mm

The basin will be wall mounted - 1200mm wide

The toilet will be wall mounted

Shower will be ceiling mounted monsoon/rainfall shower head and a normal wall mounted hose type one.

Below is the current layout, however I'm not sure if it's a bit boring and will look sparse with so much space in the centre. 

1751668605_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_45_11.thumb.png.18c3fd9677b71b986b26d9c2a2d9c8d2.png

108224972_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_58_44.thumb.png.6855a0f592058b4c5123bd936964b6e3.png

219799327_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_58_05.thumb.png.1cedd9b73ea29778e6e889f2e5fdef50.png

759780318_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_57_51.thumb.png.ab07e56884d04499103cd3f82c0d78de.png

What do you think of the following layout? 

1872042586_ScreenShot2018-07-12at11_56_32.thumb.png.54c9e9a5e19246de1f0c2314bae20381.png

952852867_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_58_20.thumb.png.b8eb341c7b75f0baadc034d49d67f961.png

I like the look of this layout, however not sure if it's making best use of the space. Also i preferred having the shower further away from the door so that any water from the shower is more contained.

I also like the layout as it allows us to have a built in cupboard in the room.

Some other layouts I have thought about are

1326214568_ScreenShot2018-07-12at11_58_49.thumb.png.5bbb1c59a18e430f49abbd75489225b6.png

1837457921_ScreenShot2018-07-15at11_39_38.thumb.png.ab5e6e09ce84671fb3bc8a8f2c2c1ae9.png

On space, if your ensuite is the same size as most people’s lounges I am not sure that space efficiency is a relevant criterion ?.

I would put the bath fac8ng the window, if you have a view, and perhaps consider a sauna or steam room ... or leave space for one later.

Or a drying closet for washing?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Personally I wouldn't like the bath or basins in front of the shower but that's individual choice. Apart from the style aspect it may make the bath and shower screen a bit of a nightmare to clean. Can't you move the bath under the window and have space for a cupboard opposite the door? Assume you are having 2 basins? 

Edited by newhome

I regret not having a cupboard in our en suite, despite our deciding to go “minimalist “ er indoors has shed loads of “stuff!?

Edited by joe90
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

I regret not having a cupboard in our en suite, despite our deciding to go “minimalist “ er indoors has shed loads of “stuff!?

I've got a cupboard - it's full and 'stuff' is still everywhere ;)

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

On space, if your ensuite is the same size as most people’s lounges I am not sure that space efficiency is a relevant criterion ?.

I would put the bath fac8ng the window, if you have a view, and perhaps consider a sauna or steam room ... or leave space for one later.

Or a drying closet for washing?

F

The ensuite ended up as large as it is mainly due to the downstairs layout and because we have the double height space cutting through the middle section of the house.

838794432_ScreenShot2018-07-15at12_41_28.thumb.png.7fd189d0ea3180596e12828672544b32.png

I used to have an en suite similar size in previous house, always loved that feeling of space.

I like the layout in the picture with the cupboard but if it were me I would move the bath across under the window keeping everything else as pic.......wish I had room for a cupboard in new en suite really miss it.

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Personally I wouldn't like the bath or basins in front of the shower but that's individual choice. Apart from the style aspect it may make the bath and shower screen a bit of a nightmare to clean. Can't you move the bath under the window and have space for a cupboard opposite the door? Assume you have having 2 basins? 

I saw the basin in front of the shower in the porcelanosa showroom in Glasgow and it looked cool. The shower screen was a mirrored on the basin side and on the shower side you could still see through the glass (good in terms of light getting into shower area)

12 minutes ago, ultramods said:

The reason that the bath isn't currently in front of the window is because there isn't much of a view from the window, it looks into a neighbours garden). The window will probably be frosted..

If the window is frosted then you could put the bath in front of it anyway. It will be no different to having it next to a wall and leaving the wall space will allow you space for the cupboard you want. Storage is a must in a bathroom that size especially if you are sharing the space with a woman ;)

• Like 1

My vote would be bath under window, toilet to left of bath straight ahead as you enter, really generous shower at the end (what you have drawn is too thin, take the shower area right up to the edge of the window) And your bid double basin along the wall adjoining the dressing room.

And do the whole floor as a wet room so you don't even need a shower screen if you don't want one.

57 minutes ago, ultramods said:

The ensuite ended up as large as it is mainly due to the downstairs layout and because we have the double height space cutting through the middle section of the house.

838794432_ScreenShot2018-07-15at12_41_28.thumb.png.7fd189d0ea3180596e12828672544b32.png

I’d drop the slider and make access to the ensuite via the dressing room - walk through is much nicer and that corridor and two sliders opposite each other just seems odd 

That allows you to put the shower down the whole of the left side, bath on the right and wc opposite the window. Double basin below the window and that would work well in the space. 

1 hour ago, ultramods said:

We had a family bathroom that size but wider perhaps 16x14 at the old house ..  and we had a steam room in one corner that could take 2 garden chairs inside the steam room.

You could consider something like a wickerwork sofa, which are always luxurious in a bathroom, or a generous counter.

Agree with Peter on the two bowls.

• Thanks 1

@PeterW I agree with you regarding changing the access to the ensuite.

The reason we did it this way to keep the house more flexible in terms of resale (we plan on selling in 10 years),  the only bath in the house is in the master ensuite. 

Unless there is a particular reason, I would swap the left and right hand halves over.

You currently have the largest half as the master, dressing and it's en-suite and the smaller as beds 2 and 3 and their en-suites that look a little cramped.

I would try the smaller left hand half as master, dressing and en-suite that would then give a bit more space for beds 2 and 3 and their en-suites in the right hand part.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ultramods said:

@PeterW I agree with you regarding changing the access to the ensuite.

The reason we did it this way to keep the house more flexible in terms of resale (we plan on selling in 10 years),  the only bath in the house is in the master ensuite. 

Thinking of resale, your existing layout could easily become 4 bed, even 4 bed 4 bath, with minor tweaks.

Good planning.

F

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Thinking of resale, your existing layout could easily become 4 bed, even 4 bed 4 bath, with minor tweaks.

Good planning.

F

We quote often have a lot of family staying over, which means our dressing room can also be a temporary bedroom with the current configuration

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Unless there is a particular reason, I would swap the left and right hand halves over.

You currently have the largest half as the master, dressing and it's en-suite and the smaller as beds 2 and 3 and their en-suites that look a little cramped.

I would try the smaller left hand half as master, dressing and en-suite that would then give a bit more space for beds 2 and 3 and their en-suites in the right hand part.

in our previous plan the left and right sides of the house were the same size, however we then put the gables on the right hand side which made that side 600mm longer.

Do you really think bedroom 2 and 3 are cramped? I thought the proportions were generous, both rooms have king sized beds in them.

2 minutes ago, ultramods said:

in our previous plan the left and right sides of the house were the same size, however we then put the gables on the right hand side which made that side 600mm longer.

Do you really think bedroom 2 and 3 are cramped? I thought the proportions were generous, both rooms have king sized beds in them.

2 things don't work for me:

The funny corridor to get into beds 2 and 3 off the landing Solve that by making the landing wider (less void over the dining, and reduce the stairwell void)  That corridor takes a big bite out of what could be en-suite space.

Secondly En-suite 2 is forced to be longer just to encompass the window it seems?  That takes a bite out of the corner of bed 3 making it look awkward.

Solve the corridor entrance, and move the window over, and both rooms can have a larger en-suite, both the same size, each taking up half the wall between the 2 bedrooms.

I would still swap them over, the master and it's suite seems over sized to me. Why not share the space a bit better?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ultramods said:

It's not that they're cramped. It's just they're 'small' when compared to the master suite. Having one bedroom, dressing area and ensuite larger than the two next bedrooms is out of proportion for the house. You kinda have a problem as you've too much space in the master suite. Not sure what stage you're at. If it's still early design I'd swap the master suite to the left. If it's first fix just continue and try and resolve the ensuite.

• Thanks 1

If you are thinking of selling as a 4 bed 3 bath in the future then I would make your dressing area the bathroom and the bathroom the dressing area/future bed 4. That way you have 2 bedrooms with a bathroom between them and 2 further bedrooms with their own en suite.  Agree about the little corridor of the landing to bed 2&3 ditch that if you can.

• Thanks 2

With the current design we have designed it around only the 3 of us living in the house. Our son would have bedroom 2.

Also I wouldn't want to start reducing the size of the void over the dining area just to make the access to bedroom 2 and 3 slightly less "odd".

Having said that what do you think of these changes?

Right now we could relatively easily make these changes.

Only issues I see are potential issues with window positions as some of the first floor windows line up with ground floor windows and also the garage limits the position of one of the first floor windows.

Other issue is our relationship has completely broken down with our architect meaning he wouldn't make the changes, which could potentially cause issues for the waste pipe positioning by the ground workers.

We are also 1 - 2 days away from getting our building warrant, would these changes effect that? 

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 15.28.20.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 15.27.08.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-15 at 15.53.59.png

192713257_ScreenShot2018-07-15at15_56_58.thumb.png.7566febf73bf33698bac0ebb8daa4207.png

Edited by ultramods

I much prefer that layout. Much better use of space and less "fussy" with no awkward corridors.  The top one of the 3 revised layouts would be my favourite. Having a wardrobe tacked onto the end of each en-suite would give a bit of extra soundproofing between each en-suite and the "other" bedroom.

The en-suite that has no window, I would fit a solar tube or light pipe to illuminate it, we had one in the last house and it worked very well.

Re the architect and building control.  To avoid delaying things I would let the building warrant go through so you can start the foundations, then submit an amendment.  If your relationship with the architect has broken down, re do the drawings yourself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, ultramods said:

The timber frame company would be designing the house again using their own CAD software and they haven't started yet, so I could ask them to make the changes.

Definitely worth revisiting the design again before you press the commit button. You want to be absolutely sure it's right. We made some reasonably significant changes to the internal design that our TF company incorporated into the design and it was a pretty easy task to get the building warrant updated. The building warrant was already in place when we bought the plot and the internal layout modeled on the house that had just been built next door. I found the local building control pretty flexible in terms of changes to the internal layout and we did change one or 2 minor things halfway through too that they allowed us to literally draw on the plans in red pen. 

• Thanks 1