Master Ensuite Layout

Looks a lot better. Bedroom 2 & 3 are closer to rectandular (with small entrances) rather than the difficult L shaped previously and the Master Suite is still a considerable size. What's the small little room creating the third middle door between the bedrooms off the landing? Is it needed as you didn't previously have it? It's created a lot of doors in a row squashed together.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Looks a lot better. Bedroom 2 & 3 are closer to rectandular (with small entrances) rather than the difficult L shaped previously and the Master Suite is still a considerable size. What's the small little room creating the third middle door between the bedrooms off the landing? Is it needed as you didn't previously have it? It's created a lot of doors in a row squashed together.

I have removed that now.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I’d have left it in as a hot press / linen store etc and also as a service run from upstairs to downstairs 

yeah I thought it could be a linen cupboard however I had to make the middle door the entrance into bedroom 2 as I had forgotten that the landing has a seating area.

1751343151_ScreenShot2018-07-15at18_45_21.thumb.png.f6823a4a6f09e723fbdf651f36d0e857.png 

Very nice, although I didn't see much wrong with the original layout it is a improvement! All you need now is a laundry chute from dressing room to utility. 

Was the porcelonosa shop in Glasgow worth a visit, I was in the Edinburgh one two weeks ago and was slightly disappointed. 

Edited by Alexphd1

35 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

Very nice, although I didn't see much wrong with the original layout it is a improvement! All you need now is a laundry chute from dressing room to utility. 

Was the porcelonosa shop in Glasgow worth a visit, I was in the Edinburgh one two weeks ago and was slightly disappointed. 

Why did no one mention a laundry chute earlier, I have now been given approval for the changes ;) 

I found the showroom good to see some bathroom layouts. However I am glad I didn't see anything that i really really wanted as it's very expensive.

You can give porcelanosa your floor plans and they will design a bathroom layout for you......of course they specify their products but you dont have to use them if you get a layout you like go and buy your products elsewhere.....dont tell them thats what you are planning of course LOL

• Thanks 1

Laundry chute would be excellent :)

I wasn't keeping up with all the twists and turns here but having compared the original layout with the new one it looks much better now. Just one teeny suggestion I would make ... I would place the beds in the 2 smaller rooms slightly more towards the outside walls. I wish we had done that in one of the bedrooms as there is loads of space by the side of the bed near the outside wall but it's a little cramped where the door is into the dressing room in bed 2. I can see you having that issue with those 2 rooms when the wardrobe doors are open. The only difference it makes is where to put the sockets and light switches by the side of the beds. If ours had been over a fraction more it would have made a difference. 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

I’d have left it in as a hot press / linen store etc and also as a service run from upstairs to downstairs 

It would probably make a very good central location for a hot water tank to aid that hotpress function.

Now it has gone, just where are you going to put the HW tank so it is central to all points of use?

Speak to your SE about the loads. And tell your architect to FO. Your paying the bills, not the other way around. On the job with that cylinder I got told I would be answering to the architect. I said ta-ta. Wasn't long before it was the other way around. Architect got back-charged for specifying the wrong windows after the wrong ones were bought and fitted. I subbed out the brickwork, TF, roof and windows so got paid twice to fit them and got some nice free windows to boot.    

• Thanks 1

Returning after Apple ate my homework last night, I wonder if there is still room for improvement in the layout.

The first thing to do is to split those en suites the other way ie horizontally on the plan, so they both get windows. As it is only one gets a window, and the other is a cubicle.

The second is that I think they are far too large. IMO more space should be in the wardrobes. And less in the ensuites. I would split it so te ensuites get Perhaps 60% or perhaps even 50% of the area in your 3.7x3.4m block. 1.8x1.7 really is more than adequate for an ensuites with a large shower or a small bath, a loo and a whb. There might be an argument for a sliding or opening into the bedroom door.

Split that way you can then give a very generous wardrobe with shelves behind hanging, or even walk in if you lose the landing / linen cupboard in the middle.

I would also move those doors round the corner to give more space and airiness to the landing. Does not really cost the bedrooms anything since the only thing that you do with that space is walk through it on the way in.

Very rough sketch below incorporating a linen press. I would probably have the linen press only 750 deep, and give the walk in wardrobes a deeper end for shelves for eg suitcases.

0B939E2B-08C5-4A1E-BD18-EFD7D3921526.thumb.jpeg.48097e268f1ec334e573b6e5763f68f0.jpeg

. @Grosey did this with what would have been a Jack and Jill, but can’t find the floor plan. There are photos in this blog post if both ensuites, one with a bath and one with a shower They are 1.8mx1.5m. I think they are photos 8 and 11 from the top.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

That looks tidy but........ window in the shower..??!

Good thing about making it symmetrical is that you just buy two of everything. 

The exterior would require the windows in current positions

south east elevation glazing option 4.png

41 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That looks tidy but........ window in the shower..??!

Good thing about making it symmetrical is that you just buy two of everything. 

I thought it was better to offset the toilets so that the wall doesn't need to be thicker for two concealed cisterns back to back.

Soil pipes will be the next problem, I will need to speak to the plumber. there were two drops from the first floor to the ground floor.

• Like 1