Kitchen finished

ProDave

Kitchen finished today. 

kitchen_1.thumb.jpg.5b505a69a262a1cf0e9236c6aad3a525.jpg

It took me about a week to put the kitchen together and plumb in the sink and dishwasher.

The worktop under the window is a cheap temporary laminate one to get the kitchen functioning quickly. Later on that will be replaced with a stone worktop and that one will be moved to the utility room, which is why it has been left over length for now as that's how long it will be in the utility.

I then had to wait for Gus the joiner to machine the oak breakfast bar worktop. Sometimes even when self building, it is worth employing a good tradesman when you know they can do a better job of something than you can. It was then 2 days to varnish it, and finally today it was dry so I could fit it and plumb in the hob.

kitchen_2.thumb.jpg.217aa114a424fecd7fb7376c66bc1e2d.jpg

Next to the fridge, where the clock is for now, will eventually be partitioned off to form a pantry.

Sunday dinner will be cooked and eaten in the house tomorrow.

A little more and a couple more pictures on the blog at http://www.willowburn.net/ look for the entry "Kitchen Finished"

• Like 11

The whole house needs skirting, doors, door liners and lots of finishing off. It's definitely been a case of make it so it "works" then make it pretty later on.

There is still plenty of wiring to finish, note the temporary light switch by the door. I have yet to build a piece of stud wall to the right of the fridge which is where the light switch will end up.

the view from the West window, which you see from the kitchen sink or the breakfast bar has been a major feature that has shaped several aspects of the house

view.thumb.jpg.33de08120eaea8a32cd1f70957361d57.jpg

20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The whole house needs skirting, doors, door liners and lots of finishing off. It's definitely been a case of make it so it "works" then make it pretty later on.

There is still plenty of wiring to finish, note the temporary light switch by the door. I have yet to build a piece of stud wall to the right of the fridge which is where the light switch will end up.

the view from the West window, which you see from the kitchen sink or the breakfast bar has been a major feature that has shaped several aspects of the house

view.thumb.jpg.33de08120eaea8a32cd1f70957361d57.jpg

Towards Ben Wyvis?

4 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Towards Ben Wyvis?

Pretty much. You can't quite see the Ben from our house. If you could it would be a bit to the left.  You can see it from the top of our road, but as you walk down, it disappears behind the tree line of a forest.  I live in hope that one day the forest will be felled and we might just be able to see the Ben.

• Like 1

Sunday dinner tasted very nice indeed.

Things we like (compared to the caravan) in no particular order.

Having a shower where you don't bang your elbows and it doesn't take an age to wash the soap off (decent flow rate)

Sleeping in a bed where you can get out both sides with more than a 6" gap

A kitchen with a decent amount of work surface, AND a bowl and a half sink. God I missed that extra half bowl. Part way through washing up and you realised you had not rinsed the coffee pot and the only place to do it was the bathroom basin.

A dishwasher.

Sitting on a proper sofa rather than the built in foam seats in the 'van

Watching tv on a set with decent surround sound. God how I missed that and being forced to just use the crap built in speakers.

Listening to music on a decent pair of speakers. God how I missed my hifi. A well detached house means I don't have to worry about troubling the neghbours.

Going upstairs to bed.

Don't get me wrong, the caravan did us well for the 15 months it was our residence, but we are glad that is now in the past tense (to all practical purposes) Later on it will get repurposed as a work space.

• Like 3

Its fair to say youve punched a gut to get there. Congrats mate. 

Nowt better than winding the amp up and getting the speakers working up a sweat. When SWMBO goes off to the shop the kids leg it downstairs and shout "chuck the beats on dad!" and my Yamaha / KEF gear gets the dust knocked off it. Sweet. 

• Haha 1

I was right about watching telly in the same room as the Fridge and dishwasher. Can't wait for the other living room to be ready. This stupid modern idea of having a lounge in the kitchen will never really catch on.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This stupid modern idea of having a lounge in the kitchen will never really catch on.

Lol, I don’t watch the tele! I find the noise of that way more annoying than the fridge or dishwasher lol. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, ProDave said:

I was right about watching telly in the same room as the Fridge and dishwasher. Can't wait for the other living room to be ready. This stupid modern idea of having a lounge in the kitchen will never really catch on.

I half agree which is why I will have both in the same size house as yours.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

more than 1 TV is the answer... small one in the kitchen useful if you want to watch whilst cooking. Also good to be able to use to stream music via TVs through the house

Yes this is the only downstairs space that's finished. And yes the "small" 42" tv is in here.  The slightly larger 50" one will go in the snug living room when that's finished, along with my floor standing hifi speakers.  No prizes for guessing which will be my favourite room.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Are there trees that far north in Scotland? Thought is was all tundra and roaming herds of reindeer. 

And the sun never comes above the horizon in winter.

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And yes the "small" 42" tv is in here.  The slightly larger 50" one will go in the snug living room when that's finished, along with my floor standing hifi speakers.  No prizes for guessing which will be my favourite room.

What is it with guys and big TVs! 9_9

13 minutes ago, newhome said:

What is it with guys and big TVs! 9_9

Just to put it into perspective these were both free.  It is a fact, that I have never bought a working television set. Since the age of about 13, I have been repairing the things. Every television I have ever owned came to me faulty and I repaired it.  When I was younger I used to buy faulty sets just to repair and sell.

I am always keeping my eye out for more.  These present 2 I was asked to repair them for the owner, located the fault, quoted them a fair price to repair them and they declined, so I repaired them for me.

That is probably more sad than the fact I have 50" :ph34r:

But for a good viewing experience, sound is as important as the picture.  As sets have been getting bigger and thinner, the excuse for speakers they fit into them has been getting smaller and more tinny.  So both sets are hooked up to surround sound systems, and yes I got those as faulty and repaired them as well.