I remember a good friend recalling a story of a Devonshire farmer being abused by a bunch of organised trespassers ( commonly known as “ramblers”) because his cattle were spoiling the peace and quiet of the countryside. Also hear many a tale of residents complaining to councils because of tractors disturbing them late at night ( almost undoubtably in harvest time). 

I really dont don’t understand the mentality of some people. 

• Thanks 1

I quite like the Chinooks that fly up and down the valley in the dead of night here...

Better than the bloody parakeets during the day! 

Edited by Onoff

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I quite like the Chinooks that fly up and down the valley in the dead of night here...

Better than the bloody parakeets during the day! 

parakeets can be shit.

Just don’t get the chinooks by mistake .. they shoot back.

Edited by Ferdinand
oooops. parakeets can be shot
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

parakeets can be shit.

Just don’t get the chinooks by mistake .. they shoot back.

This deffo shoots back! US Marine V22 I saw today. 

20180713_090518.thumb.jpg.0b4029093158c39de47727c0c533c3ac.jpg

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

This deffo shoots back! US Marine V22 I saw today. 

I’m sure the SAS took delivery of two of these recently, they’ve been flying over our house doing low flying exercises all week. You can hear them coming miles away.

5 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

You need to be reaaaallly wary of those. They fall out of the sky on their own. Regularly.

They fly I believe twice as fast as a helicopter so the rotors have immense downward thrust. Makes it a pita to abseil out of and horrible for rescue duties because of the downdraft. Especially over water where it could drown the rescuees! They now have X seconds to shut the engines down after landing in dusty / sandy conditions as it can get turned to glass  inside the powerful engines and then solidify. This after a crash in Hawaii. Still looks the dogs bollocks though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

There is a company down here called PAL that makes venturi air filters for helicopters.  Meant to stop the dust getting in the engine but still allow full airflow.

We fitted these to the Lynx for operation in Iraq - without them the bleed air fed cooling holes in the Gem engine turbine blades would block with glass from the melted sand that was ingested.  They are big, though, and do hit engine performance a fair bit, which made an already marginal hot and high performance A/C even more marginal, reducing useful payload.

They work by spinning out the dust, so do have the effect of blowing all the exhausted and spun out dust from the rear of the filter box at high velocity.  Overall they aren't a great system, but they are all we have.

FWIW, the same sort of fine sand filters are fitted to our tanks too, as they were never designed to operate in the desert, either.  All our design requirements assumed that any land conflict would be on the plains of Europe - i.e. probably the big flat bit of Germany.  Those plans all went for a ball of chalk when the Soviet Union collapsed, but it takes around 30 years for the defence equipment programme to respond to such a dramatic change, because of the long lead time on kit and the long in-service life of most of it.

They have a new design that seems to have overcome the performance hit, in fact they claim that it increases the performance by 2%.

The are just glorified Dysons, but probably cheaper to use when using the kgdust/kgair measure.

7 hours ago, Onoff said:

They fly I believe twice as fast as a helicopter so the rotors have immense downward thrust. Makes it a pita to abseil out of and horrible for rescue duties because of the downdraft. Especially over water where it could drown the rescuees! They now have X seconds to shut the engines down after landing in dusty / sandy conditions as it can get turned to glass  inside the powerful engines and then solidify. This after a crash in Hawaii. Still looks the dogs bollocks though!

Disc loading is about 100kg/m2, while a Huey is about 26kg/m2. The problem isn't so much the speed (you can deal with that by changing the pitch of the propellers to an extent) but the fact that you need one hell of a lot of rotor area to carry a lot of weight, and tilt-rotors can't get by with a single rotor but need multiples of two rotors. Problem is, two 10m diameter rotors have about the same area as a single 14m diameter rotor, so packaging them into a tilt-rotor gets very hard. There are some awesome things being worked on at the moment that get around this problem, but unfortunately they aren't in the public domain yet ?. I'm hoping some of them get revealed this week at Farnborough, but don't hold your breath.