Going screwy about screws.....

ToughButterCup

I am very lucky, I used to fit Howdens kitchens and they used to give me a screw box as a freebie fir every kitchen, I started my build with about 6 full tins, 1000s screws, not had to buy one screw yet ? I agree with the above . These seem expensive but in the price of a build it’s nothing and there nothing better than having all your screws in one place and plenty of selection, if you use all of one size you can buy a box and top it up.   Top tip.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscrew-pz-double-countersunk-woodscrews-expert-trade-case-2800-pcs/44480

I agree with @joe90 about using a trade pack although I'm not keen on the Screwfix ones unless you get the top end ones and they are the same price as Fischer or Spax and the named ones are better quality.

Ironmongery Direct do a trade pack of Reisser that's a reasonable price. I ordered their TimCo Velocity screws previously and did find they were pretty good 

I've gone through through thousands. Opened up the screwfix excel sheet and filtered just wood screws just now to check for my own interest. This is just for my own house refurb over the past 18 months. Drylining internally with service cavity. New stud walls upstairs, etc. Haven't used nails.

Size - Total purchased to date

16mm - 400

20mm - 400

30mm - 600

40mm - 800

50mm - 600

60mm - 700

70mm - 3500

80mm - 1600

100mm - 600

I've one or two full boxes of 40mm but everything else I've about half a box or none left. Buying a trade case like linked to above is a great start and just keep topping it up. Choice is great and for example if you have a a location and 50mm is just a tiny bit too short or long it's great having some 40 and 60mm to use. In general they've very cheap so I stock up on them all.

I'm afraid to check how many drywall screws I've gone through. Also used a lot of concrete screws and special screws for timber floors not included above.

Edited by Dudda

7 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Internal.... wood only ?

I have just had a 60% off Trade pack of Reisser screws flyerfrom Howdens. It may be this one, which seems to be their only one:

https://www.howdens.com/hardware-collection/fixings/screw-nails-and-anchors/reisser-medium-assorted-box-of-woodscrews/

Whether they would give you the offer should you ask, I don’t know.

F

23 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have just had a 60% off Trade pack of Reisser screws flyerfrom Howdens. It may be this one, which seems to be their only one:

https://www.howdens.com/hardware-collection/fixings/screw-nails-and-anchors/reisser-medium-assorted-box-of-woodscrews/

Whether they would give you the offer should you ask, I don’t know.

F

Wbats Mansfields price on that @Ferdinand..?? I got a load in the 2 for 1 deal a couple of months back but got big tubs and my Fischer box isn’t in very good nick anymore. 

On 13/07/2018 at 21:25, PeterW said:

Wbats Mansfields price on that @Ferdinand..?? I got a load in the 2 for 1 deal a couple of months back but got big tubs and my Fischer box isn’t in very good nick anymore. 

Slightly misrepresented the offer due to the small print excluding trade packs (bugger) and tubs.

These are snaps of the flier. Offer 1 is 1000 free screws witha. Kitchen survey. Offer 2 is 60% off all Reisser screws.

I am estimating te 1000 screws as worth £20-25 depending on selection.

9F21CD0B-ADBC-4E6A-BF0A-9537830F03C2.thumb.jpeg.68abc81919ee1e8fcf0e89df60498192.jpeg

D27E7D5B-CBEE-4834-ACED-3A2E43F4E060.thumb.jpeg.36bb6d51f2d7617fc3abea4e5c00402c.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand

You can get some good deals in Screwey's Clearance section from time to time, especially around new catalogue time. Only a couple in there at the mo though. Seems to be "odd" sizes like 45mm as opposed to 50mm that you get in there.

I got all my st/st fixings like this for peanuts. Used them on the ply deck around the bath. 

You can type "clearance" in the Screwey's search bar.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/goldscrew-plus-pz-double-self-countersunk-woodscrews-4-5-x-30mm-200-pack/6883f