Rain and Guttering

Ed_MK

Hi

I am planning where the gutters and downspouts need to go ..

..i know the wife wants things to be as TIDY as possible at the front and back 

(The sides are invisible to us and anyone due to trees one side and a high fence at the other)

I see how others have built SIMILAR Potton homes and where they put their downspouts ...

Let me know if you think I have planned well please

Also

a) Do you think the downspouts either side of the Sunroom are necessary ....as there is a ceramic patio tiling going
all around it and i think it might make it look messy ?

b) also i was considering ...it might be daft ....but is it possible to FLIP a downspout around the corner ? basically to maintain the clean look
of one side of the house ?

downspouts and gutters.JPG

As bassanclan says you probably could ditch 3 downpipes check figures with a few suppliers websites. One website used figure of further north (aberdeenshire) less rain than south coast (devon). Also downpipes work better in the middle of gutter runs. 

I don't see a problem with carrying a gutter around the corner then into the downpipes or down pipe into ceramic tiles but of the two I would personally keep it in the corner and through the ceramic tiles. Just personal choice.

Edited by Alexphd1

Which 3 do you mean ...i thought 2 could be optional ....

Its a steep incline roof ....thats what worries me ...(the centre bit is anyway) and so rain is likely to 

come down faster?  ..if that makes sense 

What type are you going for???

It's more just for keeping the symmetry that I would put them all in. Really you could maybe loose the pair you have marked but it depends on how much rain you reckon will run of the roof. We all seem to be experiencing shorter heavier spells of rain so I would put them all in and then you don't have anything to worry about.

They look crap unless you go for decent ones. 

You need the 4 on the front due to the dormers and the 2 on the back one at each corner of the roof. 

Roof of area calc says you only need one on each side tbh but you can’t do that with your layout. 

Go  for a decent brand and a deep flow gutter where possible and use clips every metre starting from the inside corners. 

Yes definitely deep flow and plenty of clips, on our last house after a lot of snow we lost 90percent of the gutters, this was in the first winter after the build and we phoned manufacturer to complain, rep came out and said with the roof pitch we should have had a much deeper gutter and more clips, they did however replace it for us.

Thanks ...great advice !

I think as they are the ticket ...I will go with the BM due to tidiness :)

It wont be for a month or so yet ...Roof is still in progress ..Its all felted and stuff now.

And we were excited as the first of our roof tiles went on ! (are we sad or what)
...just the rear dorma's yet.. but apparently the roofer is coming with the FULL TRIBE on Monday to 

GO MAD on it 

hmm..

Not sure of the terminology ...but I am glad I got the Indians and not the Cowboys

tiles_1.jpg

20 hours ago, Ed_MK said:

chain ...like they have in Spain LOL

The rain in Spain stays mainly on the chain. We hope.

(Gets coat)

With those trees think about how you will manage leaves. Hedgehog from the start?

Edited by Ferdinand

you're only right Mr F.

but I have had a word with neighbours..

..they are more than happy for me to cut them right back (as most are growing from their side)

..i hope they know what i mean by "cut RIGHT back" ....Muwahahaha

choppers.jpg

I went for the black plastic imitation cast iron look and it looks great, not expensive and has a dimpled Matt look, great for our cottage., agree with others, lots of clips, Black gets hot and may sag. I have suffered from “gutter creak” in the past where the clips are too tight and when the gutter expands in the sun then cools it “clicks “ in the brackets, this stuff does not, the clips are looser letting the gutter move slightly, I will find out the manufacturer if you like?

54 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I went for the black plastic imitation cast iron look and it looks great, not expensive and has a dimpled Matt look, great for our cottage., agree with others, lots of clips, Black gets hot and may sag. I have suffered from “gutter creak” in the past where the clips are too tight and when the gutter expands in the sun then cools it “clicks “ in the brackets, this stuff does not, the clips are looser letting the gutter move slightly, I will find out the manufacturer if you like?

I'd like to know the manufacturer too as I have to have cast iron (or effect)

Very Nice!!

It might not go with our cottage-style house though ....but its really clean and neat

By the way Joe ...with my steep roof ..I have to go for a deeprun gutter ...I wonder if they do them in imitation Iron ?

On 16/07/2018 at 20:09, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

Our guttering finished today.

Really pleased with it.

Now waiting for some rain to test it out & hopefully wash off the baked on pigeon poo on the roof.

DSC01622.JPG

DSC01623.JPG

DSC01617.JPG

DSC01619.JPG

nice bifolds too !

we are hoping to get them on our rear

can i ask how you coped with the dropped damp-course in relation to the rest of the building