Old school tricks? Worth it?

Piers

Median architects fees are shown here, from The Architects Journal.

Assuming that your 4-5 bedroom house is around 2500 square foot, that might have around a £400,000 build cost, so I would expect an architect to charge around £25,000 to take you right through to the end of the build. I think when I was pricing it up we saw fees ranged from 6-9% of the build cost.

There are well defined stages of the build that have expected percentages of the cost. You can stop earlier to save money,

That quote is absolutely outrageous.

It is somewhat more than I am paying on a  house 4x that size.

Also if contracting with an architect I would want the price to be fixed to the expected build budget so that they do not make more money if the house runs over budget or if for example you specify nicer windows which makes no difference to them. I certainly would never agree to a contract that costs me £2500 a month if the build over-runs. It hardly incentivises the architect to help you out.

image.thumb.png.1feed9884d8228aea69024d2d8653ce0.png

That's fee is eye-watering.

My professional fees for planning, building warrant, SAP assessment and structural engineers plans came to below £3,000.

Project management inspections at various stages of the build by a RICS quantity surveyor will be around £1,800.