Mr Luxton redoes 80% of his plaster!

In this earlier video on his plastering, he mentions that the interior plastering is more like a two layer render, for a nice texture, and being really good for the airtightness. He wanted to avoid dead flat surface and sought a slight "rub" to the texture. A scrubbed sponge finish with different textures on the walls and ceilings. He seems to have been experimenting. I suspect he's regretting it now.

• Thanks 1

I admire his (presented) attitude.

He said they were running dehumidifiers; I wonder if they overdid it.

The only time I have seen plaster come off  the wall in sheets was at our old house, but that was Victorian or Edwardian plaster in a house that had been empty for years. 

Kudos to @Dreadnaught for the exact deep link.

Edited by Ferdinand

The backing looks dusty and weak mix

When applying more than one layer of backing You must go weaker with each layer 

ie start with a very a strong mix and go weaker

A 3-1 scratch coat through out 

Then a 4-1 mix will never shell and give a perfect background for any finish 

But as with tiling each coat needs several days to dry out 

The contractors material costs would be much higher

Deumidifiers won’t cause any damage 

Bit of a lame excuse

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

In this earlier video on his plastering, he mentions that the interior plastering is more like a two layer render, for a nice texture, and being really good for the airtightness. He wanted to avoid dead flat surface and sought a slight "rub" to the texture. A scrubbed sponge finish with different textures on the walls and ceilings. He seems to have been experimenting. I suspect he's regretting it now.

Is he not aware of a product called Artex ? 

Looked to be coming of far too easy so going with what @nod says and a poor mix might have been the cause. Dead cement or to much plastersizer is also a possibility but doubtful. 

Dehumidifiers will only dry it out to quick and make it crack not pop it of the wall.

The walls did look bone dry for it to have only been done so maybe they didn't get soaked to help the suction.

@nod will put me right here if I’m wrong but I was told the golden rules of Plastering are 

1/ control background suction & 

2/ right amount of key between coats. 

Mess one or both of those up & you’ve got problems.